The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Don't be so extreme. I would end the Chuckwagon race to prevent needless death to horses and potential injuries to drivers and/or riders. I have no issues with other rodeo events, but then again I don't watch rodeo, not for any sociopolitical reasons, but because it doesn't interest me. For everyone who loves it, fill your boots.

well some people are being extreme about get rid of the stampede/rodeo all together 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, I don't know.

But I think it is important to talk about it.

This thread started out like a flash, with the over used accusations of hypocrisy being thrown around.

I hope we continue to be concerned for suffering of the the animals we consume and use for sport. 

I would look at getting rid of, or modifying events at the Stampede that result in high rates of mortality and injury.

sure modify it  maybe only have I wagon at time  as long the horse stay safer  I mean u cant prevent every accident  that occurs 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Meanwhile probably like 5000 people have been murdered in Surrey in that time. I would think human lives in your community should be more of a priority

Although we are in the era of fake news and I hear that deepfake videos are now a thing . So, we have to watch out for innocents like Ben Richards who was wrongly accused in my below example. 

Since we are talking about entertaining competition for the future.

Since we need some way to deal with the gangster losers of Surrey.

It's time to start running!...

the-running-man.thumb.jpg.461e7176a71e1a98f8470883500f1cbc.jpg

49 minutes ago, Ms.Glitter said:

I don't eat meat,   is that ok?  would you like to verbally assault me for caring about animal welfare?  There is so much ignorance and savage behavior coming out of Alberta it's staggering.  

Do whatever you want. We should be able to live how we want to live without being tortured by others who don’t share  the same beliefs. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Meanwhile probably like 5000 people have been murdered in Surrey in that time. I would think human lives in your community should be more of a priority

That’s just it. I don’t understand how someone can fight for equality of all living things and simultaneously denounce humans for not sharing their beliefs. If you want to get your message through. Treat everyone the same, kill them with kindness and lead by example. 

58 minutes ago, Ms.Glitter said:

I don't eat meat,   is that ok?  would you like to verbally assault me for caring about animal welfare?  There is so much ignorance and savage behavior coming out of Alberta it's staggering.  

Is there a direct reason you are trying to stomp on someone elses culture?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

61 horses killed for adult entertainment should be seen as a serious issue.    Do you ever kick your pet dog to provide some sick entertainment for your friends..... ?  I am sure not.    Why is OK to mistreat other animals such as steers / bulls / calfs ? 

10 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

It usually the discussion technique used by a person that truly knows their moral perspective is wrong / indefensible ...... but simply is not ready yet to change the way they act / behave...... 

@Ryan Strome

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

61 horses killed for adult entertainment should be seen as a serious issue.    Do you ever kick your pet dog to provide some sick entertainment for your friends..... ?  I am sure not.    Why is OK to mistreat other animals such as steers / bulls / calfs ? 

King, what makes you believe those horses are mistreated?  Kids playing sports actually (very sadly) die from injury caused by play.  Are those kids mistreated, or doing what they love to do?  Cowboys love their horses.  When you lose a horse it’s like losing your best friend.  

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yeah but those 61 horses are in the ring of honour. We're still talking about them!

You ever punched a 'roo?

Go to 42 secs. "An interspecies free love hatecrime". lol 

Edited by Boeserker

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

same could go for a lot of things  , how about speeding and driving recklessly  ,   100,s of people are killed from someone speeding and driving recklessly , do you ever speed and drive  recklessly to provide sick entertainment for your friends ?    now that's a serious issue  

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

King, what makes you believe those horses are mistreated?  Kids playing sports actually (very sadly) die from injury caused by play.  Are those kids mistreated, or doing what they love to do?  Cowboys love their horses.  When you lose a horse it’s like losing your best friend.  

Too many deaths chuck wagon racing.  Perhaps those horses could have  raced  in different comps  that were safer.

If 61 kids dies playing ice hockey in Calgary over the same time period... yes questions would be asked about the activity....

Edited by kingofsurrey

Sad about the horses but I'm sure they could learn from it and improve the situation. 

Overall I feel the Stampede is just Old West cosplay. I don't see anything wrong with it. It should be a fun, lost in time experience. I know a lot of people around the world who see it as a very Canadian thing. 

But a lot of it is modeled more on the American Old West than Canadian ranchers or farmers. 

I guess it's a part of Canadian heritage. But so is fur trapping. Not sure I'd support a fur trapping festival.

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Watching animals suffer for entertainment is really not  in the same category in my opinion......

Okay some facts. I've been to rodeos all over North America and guess what those rough stock( I take you don't know what rough stock is and that's the Broncs and Bulls) have better health care then most Americans.

Bucking is also something that comes natural to them....watch some colts or calves and you'll see it. 

Im a former bull rider and I could care less about the roping and steer wrestling but learn your facts before you open your mouth.....

• Thanks 2