The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Zack Kassian the least skilled player to play with the most skilled players ever?

Rate this topic

Goat James

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I always like cheer for guys that battle their demons and  make comebacks.   Great to see him doing well in the show and sober.

Must be tough to be young kid in the show with those paychecks... I  imagine there is a crowd of bad people trying to take advantage of these young guys...

Big cheer to this comment!

On 9/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, Lancaster said:

To be fair, Klatt was in the twilight of his career when he played with the Sedins.  He had more points back with Philly.  

Anson Carter was similar in the sense that he was already an established top-6 player in the NHL before he came to Vancouver.  He was one of those "middle-class" NHL players caught in the new salary cap era.  Big money thrown to top players, low cap left for non-elite players.  Left the NHL due to injuries (concussions).  

Klatt was a great teacher for the Sedins. Old Veteran with a couple  kids . Did the Sedin cycle exist before Klatt ?

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just about all of the Sedins' former linemates. Cowen, Pyatt, Byron Bitz...

That was a time when you could still make it in the NHL with absolutely zero attributes apart from being a big tough guy.

Lol Byron Bitz I actually thought Mike Gillis lost part of his mind after the 2011 cup finals. 

On 9/16/2019 at 2:56 AM, The Game said:

The talk out of Edmonton is that Kassian is gonna get to play with McDavid and Draisaitl, and it got me thinking; when he was here he often got to play with the Sedins. Can anyone think of a worse player who got to play with better players? 

I don't think he's not talented, he's just not that smart. 

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Remember kassian had substance abuse issues at that point. We were lucky to get anything.

Water under the bridge

We also had to throw in a pick.  We got less than nothing.  

Yeah it was only a 5th round pick but we have Gaudette was a result of a 5th round selection.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We also had to throw in a pick.  We got less than nothing.  

Yeah it was only a 5th round pick but we have Gaudette was a result of a 5th round selection.

Prust played well for a short period but I think he had to retire if I remember correctly. Injury issues I think. Unforeseeable circumstances really.

Water under the bridge 

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Prust played well for a short period but I think he had to retire if I remember correctly. Injury issues I think. Unforeseeable circumstances really.

Not really.  It was the reason why the Habs unloaded him.  Back in his prime, Prust was their version of Ferland (in terms of physicality).  Was *VERY* effective in that role.  The guy we acquired was a well past his due date.  Habs needed to free up some cap space (you aren't going to be treating a veteran player that bled for you by sticking him in the minors; so they dealt him).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

20 hours ago, Stix said:

What a terrible post by an uneducated 'hockey fan'.

I actually think its pretty good post considering there's 4 pages of debate. Uneducated because you don't like the post? Or uneducated because you disagree?

I personally was tired of Zachs show while here. Sure he had his struggles and has now rectified his path for his own good and the good of the others around him. 

But going back to the subject of this post, i think Zach isn't the least skilled player to play with the most skilled players. How is that a bad subject to discuss?

4 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I actually think its pretty good post considering there's 4 pages of debate. Uneducated because you don't like the post? Or uneducated because you disagree?

I personally was tired of Zachs show while here. Sure he had his struggles and has now rectified his path for his own good and the good of the others around him. 

But going back to the subject of this post, i think Zach isn't the least skilled player to play with the most skilled players. How is that a bad subject to discuss?

How is this even something to debate?

You don't remember some of Gordie's line mates? Even Bobby Orr played with some average D-partners. I can even think of players who are worse than Kassian who lined up with McDavid in the past few years. 

We are talking about the greatest players of all-time. Howe, Gretz, Mario, Orr, etc.. 

Another point is that even though Kassian was on McDavids line at the beginning of games, he rarely played every shift with McDavid. Most of the time Connor ended up with different line mates by the end of the game. 

4 hours ago, Stix said:

How is this even something to debate?

You don't remember some of Gordie's line mates? Even Bobby Orr played with some average D-partners. I can even think of players who are worse than Kassian who lined up with McDavid in the past few years. 

We are talking about the greatest players of all-time. Howe, Gretz, Mario, Orr, etc.. 

Another point is that even though Kassian was on McDavids line at the beginning of games, he rarely played every shift with McDavid. Most of the time Connor ended up with different line mates by the end of the game. 

Great point, McDavid is no Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, wayne Gretzky ... Did Kassian last a line change with the Canucks? 

Your points are well taken. 

• Like 1