The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

Good bridge contract without being insulting like some of the 1-2 year deals that go around. This will be an important time for our young kids, essentially it's an extension on his ELC. He'll really want to prove his worth which is much better than just dishing out a long term 8 yr deal. I think we're going to see a motivated Boeser in the next couple of seasons.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

My two cents:

1. I have to give credit to Benning. This is a good deal for the Canucks. I was thinking that a 3-year deal would maybe come in with an AAV of 6 million, and even that would be pretty good. Getting under 6 million is excellent.

2. I was thinking a deal would be 3, 4, or 6 years. Obviously neither side wanted a one-year deal-- going through all this again next year. And the Canucks would not want a 2-year deal with EP and Hughes coming up in two years and and with Eriksson and Luongo still on the books. After 3 years a lot of room will open up, as noted by Heffy. The Canucks would not want 5 years because Boeser would no longer be an RFA after 5 years. Teams usually think that their best chance of getting a guy on a reasonable post-RFA contract is to negotiate a long term deal while he is a still an RFA. The Canucks would have liked a 6-year deal but the most they could offer given their current cap situation was about 7 million in AAV and obviously Boeser did not think that was enough.

3. By taking this deal instead of the 6 years x 7 AAV, Boeser gives up (7 - 5.875)*3 = 3.375 or 1.125 per year for the next 3 years. But he can make that up if he gets more than (7.0 + 1.125) = 8.125 a year for the following three years. Given expectations about what is likely to happen to the cap and projecting Boeser's trajectory, I would put his expected AAV at about 9 million per year for those years. So, apart from discounting, I would expect that Boeser gains about 3*0.875 = 2.65 million in total expected value by taking this deal instead of the 7 x 6 deal -- not a huge difference, but something. And there is also the chance that he gets a significantly bigger contract in year 4 if things go really well. Still, if I were Boeser, I might have taken 7 x 6.

4. One thing that made this deal attractive to Boeser was the high salary in the final year -- following the pattern of some other reasonable "bridge" deals. Boeser's QO will be 7.5 million for year 4 so he will get at least that in years 4 and 5 (assuming that he remains healthy and plays well enough that the Canucks want to keep him), and could then cash in with a big payday in year 6 when he is a UFA. That is the min and he could do better.

I think that Benning has really improved his cap management. After some questionable deals early in his term as GM, including Eriksson and the Sutter re-resigning, among others, he has been pretty good. Horvat is on a good deal and so is Boeser. And this year's UFA signings look much better than in previous years years.

Yes absolutely spot on James. 

I do think that one of the main issues in this new contract was the final year salary. 

I’m sure the Meier contract had agents saliva going all over the country, and the common ground discussions were for the final year salary. 

Not sure, who blinked first. 

The only issue could be that he will only sign for another 2 years after these 3 has been played out...

but at least we would then have had him for 5. 

This being the reason why JB wanted him for a 6-7 year deal, together with the fact it could probably be seen as a discounted deal once looked back at... 

But all in all a great deal for both sides and just so pleased it over with now. 

The future looks rosy and like dawn

the sky is slowly but surely getting brighter all the time. 

So happy right now. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. If he earns his way to 10 mill, I'd say we are in good shape dont you? 

Not worried 

20190916_223858.jpg

Well unless Canucks goes on another free agent and trading frenzy and goes all out Eriksson and Sutter again

Edited by iinatcc
  • Wat 6

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Warning: Unpopular opinion

Am I the only person on here that was hoping for a MacAvoy/Werenski AAV considering Boeser's lack of leverage? I don't hate the contract but is BB really worth almost a million more than those 2? I'd say Brock did pretty damn good here. 

Edit: I should have known better than to post this on CDC lol. I love Brock but MacAvoy's the more valuable player of the 2

No, he's not.

• Wat 1

They really knocked this out of the park!

I admit I was getting frustrated of him not signing before the team started skating but I am glad to see it get done.

The term is good, gives the Canucks control for next time and the Qualifying offer for his next contract is 5.8Mil which is extremely reasonable.

Great job Canucks.

Glad he's back and I like the price tag.

9 hours ago, Spoosh said:

Great. Never in doubt but it took a while longer than I would have wanted. 

Nice deal btw. I was expecting a higher AAV to be honest.

I think the stumbling block was never money, I think it was term. I imagine the team wanted 4-5 years at least. But it all got worked out. 

• Upvote 3

not Sure why so many are praising Benning for this,this is 80% the the agent/players deal, Nucks wanted long term they didn’t get it. 

This was the best deal Benning could TAKE because of his cap mismanagement. 

I was hoping for long term as well glad they got it done regardless of who made it happen, and happy he didn’t miss ANYTIME the first 4days of camp constitutes not missing anything unless your a nit picking ..... . 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 11