The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petterson has not scored an even strength goal since February 5th, our roster make-up isn't helping

Rate this topic

Odd.

23 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

EP is a sniper that can dangle and pass, only problem is the team have Quinn hughes as the only other playmaker on the roster. That limits EP time and space 5 on 5. EP had great success scoring in the first half last season when goldobin was on the line... and when hes demoted.. EP goal scoring fell off a cliff... EP is a great player..  but you cant expect him to pass the puck to himself and dangle the whole team to score..  his primary skill is sniping.. playmaking is secondary.. right now hes more of a playmaker.. whenever he shoots at the goalie.. it's usually shooting at a goalie that's facing him ready for a shot rather than shooting at a goalie that had to slide across coz theres no one that can feed him the puck and he has to do it himself. EP have been struggling since the 2nd half of last season and early this season on this current roster.. I dont think its fatigue tbh.. coz he did just fine with Sweden at the world championship after the season ended with much higher skilled linemates 

EP himself said fatigue set in last year during the grind of the second half - and it affected his game.  NG was demoted because he wasn’t helping EPs line at all eventually, personally I think it had a lot more to do with his two injuries and the way other teams started keying in on him physically then NG getting the hook - that and EPs own admissions of lacking energy.   The Worlds have a bigger ice surface - all skilled players find it easier to do things as there is more room.

Im not too worried / we all saw what he’s capable of, once he gets stronger and the young core grows together things will click into place.   I do think he needs another skilled guy to play with - and Miller will suffice for now - but we won’t see the best he’s got to offer for three or four more years. 

Anyone else think Roussel would be a great linemate for him? He’s fast, great on the forecheck, can fight and has decent finish for his style of play.

I think a potential line of 

Roussel-Pettersson-Miller 

would open up a ton of room for him and still have enough skill on it with Miller.

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter/Leivo

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EP himself said fatigue set in last year during the grind of the second half - and it affected his game.  NG was demoted because he wasn’t helping EPs line at all eventually, personally I think it had a lot more to do with his two injuries and the way other teams started keying in on him physically then NG getting the hook - that and EPs own admissions of lacking energy.   The Worlds have a bigger ice surface - all skilled players find it easier to do things as there is more room.

Im not too worried / we all saw what he’s capable of, once he gets stronger and the young core grows together things will click into place.   I do think he needs another skilled guy to play with - and Miller will suffice for now - but we won’t see the best he’s got to offer for three or four more years. 

He may say fatigue but he looked just fine at the world and that was right after the season ended. NG was demoted coz of his defensive compete level and really not burying goals imo

16 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

What I worry about is us Canuck fans starting to sound like Leafs fans of the early 2000's when they considered Sundin a top 5 player and Tomas Kaberle as a potential Norris trophy D-man. Honestly, fans need to calm themselves down when calling players elite, seems so easy these days. Elite players don't go on 12-15 game goalless scoring streaks I'll tell you that much.

Yeah they sure don't eh?

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/feb/22/gretzky-finally-ends-great-goal-drought/

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, iceman64 said:

No way... So far we have seen a "sick and recovery time" out of Ferland, he hasn't been himself but he will get there and then watch.. can hardly wait..

Probably another week or so, maybe a bit longer but losing weight and strength is something you have to work on after something like that. 

On his game, Ferland is exactly who Petey and Flow need.

Imo the OP clearly missed that part and that's what the hurricane fans loved about Ferland so much..  power, tools and drive, and he's absolutely owned us before, however this is the CDC, patient bunch.. ok not so much..

My opinion has nothing to do with a lack of patience. It's been my opinion all summer since Ferland and Miller were signed. I simply see Miller as the more skilled player.

The panic over an 0-2 start is pretty comical here. Petey is in his second year in the NHL probably going to be his toughest of his career. He’s young and other teams know how good he is. It was easier for him the start of last because teams didn’t really know what to expect from him plain and simple. He and his line mates are trying to figure how to play against the best in the NHL every night. We have an extremely young core of players now. Seriously show a little more patience I know it’s been years blah blah blah. But look at this roster and the loads of potential here. Why are we complaining. Sit back and enjoy cause it going to get a heck of a lot better

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Petterson is too talented not to figure out how to play against top flight D and centers....but it is going to take time and unfortunately the sophomore jinx is usually associated with that.

I still think the Canucks are going to have a good year (ie.  better than last year, whatever that means) and i'm really hoping for a first round playoff series but my bar for success is still pretty low with this newly assembled squad.

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:

Petterson is too talented not to figure out how to play against top flight D and centers....but it is going to take time and unfortunately the sophomore jinx is usually associated with that.

I still think the Canucks are going to have a good year (ie.  better than last year, whatever that means) and i'm really hoping for a first round playoff series but my bar for success is still pretty low with this newly assembled squad.

They still lack the talent required for playoffs. We have 2 legit star forwards that can play 1st line and Horvat who is a great 2 way center but limited offensively. Compare that to Toronto that has 4 star players and great young complimentary players like Kapanen  Johansen, Hyman etc. On a playoff team, Miller and Ferland are more likely in the 3rd line not 1st or 2nd line. Petersson needs to play with someone who has same skill set as him like a Panarin or Marner. Unfortunately we dont have players of those caliber on our team and the closest one we have is Boeser who is struggling this year. Hopefully Boeser figures it out soon otherwise would be a long season for the Canucks.

• Cheers 2

I guess it's worth noting that Boeser has been terrible the first two games, Ferland has been meh so far and while EP hasn't been great by any means he could still have had at least 1 goal and an assist in the first two games. So let's give it a few games. I really like Miller with EP, let's see how that goes.

Should they maybe shelter Pettersson a little bit? He's obviously the #1 target on the Canucks. Bo is the captain, make him top dog

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Leivo - Pettersson - Miller

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

just do it

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

They still lack the talent required for playoffs. We have 2 legit star forwards that can play 1st line and Horvat who is a great 2 way center but limited offensively. Compare that to Toronto that has 4 star players and great young complimentary players like Kapanen  Johansen, Hyman etc. On a playoff team, Miller and Ferland are more likely in the 3rd line not 1st or 2nd line. Petersson needs to play with someone who has same skill set as him like a Panarin or Marner. Unfortunately we dont have players of those caliber on our team and the closest one we have is Boeser who is struggling this year. Hopefully Boeser figures it out soon otherwise would be a long season for the Canucks.

Ok so why did Miller and Ferland play on top lines of other teams when needed?  Seriously, folks like yourself really should look at what those two are capable of, and sorry usually it takes players at least 5-10 games minimum to get used to new linemates..

Oh wait... This is the CDC, the sky is falling.. hit the panic button.. we lost 2 games already! We're doomed! Let's tank it! 

P.S. the last time we lost the first 2 games we made the post season...  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Should they maybe shelter Pettersson a little bit? He's obviously the #1 target on the Canucks. Bo is the captain, make him top dog

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Leivo - Pettersson - Miller

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

just do it

I'd start Leivo 3rd line but that looks pretty good, I suspect Greener might try something like that if all else fails, no one is really expecting us to even make the playoffs so trying things like that can't do any harm..

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

This stat is concerning. 

Hoping for a big game from everyone tonight. Need to get into a groove and shake off some doubts. 

I think it's just rust and every player takes time to get used to new linemate's so I expected a slow start but we'll turn it on.. 

Better team than last year and it will show soon enough, we just have to have a little patience is all..  plus Ferland was/is still recovering but should be ok soon enough.. maybe a week or two but no one will run Petey with Ferland on the ice with him... That boy can really fight and the whole league is well aware of it..

• Cheers 1

I guess it wasn't the skate blades lol

Pettersson is one of the hottest stars in the league, because he took the league by storm for the first half of last season. But since then teams have figured out how to contain him. Goalies probably already know Pettey loves to go high glove. Easy saves when you know where the puck is going. I think Pettersson has become somewhat predictable now, and he needs to delve into his bag of tricks to continue fooling opponents. Why not shoot low blocker? Those goals aren't as pretty I guess.

21 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Anyone else think Roussel would be a great linemate for him? He’s fast, great on the forecheck, can fight and has decent finish for his style of play.

I think a potential line of 

would open up a ton of room for him and still have enough skill on it with Miller.

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter/Leivo

I like what you've done with the place. That's a sick lineup. 

• Upvote 1

Ferland has impressed and surprised  me with moments poise and skill so far. I see him as the perfect player for Pete once he gets up to speed. We know he's gritty enough. If the line doesn't start clicking, moving Miller in for Boeser makes good sense.

Edited by trombone

Weird seeing the player stats in the paper today, and not seeing Pettersson or Horvat as one of the Canucks top point getters. They never even made the list. But, the team averaging a goal a game so far, maybe if they had Terry Sawchuk in net they might win a few lol I'm joking around, because it's better than crying, after waiting months to see a team look so unorganized and out of sync. The Canucks had a few days off since Satutrday and I really hope Green worked on some things to get his players on the same page. I thought they played pretty well against CGY, but obviously not good enough. Losing back-to-back games against division rivals is not a good start. 

...and tonight is another divisional game. If they lose tonight, should they consider looking at coaching changes? Yes, it's just Game 3, but I'm talking about the head coach preparing his players during training camp and preseason, to be ready for the regular season. They don't look ready. They look like strangers out there, little chemistry, no one knows where the othe guys will be, poor passing, no game plan, Green trying new stuff on the fly, etc.