The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

42 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Ya, good luck!

He is right though unfortunately most environmentalists are complete hypocrites and enjoy killing Canada while funding the US. Some environmentalists should put down the bong and actually educate themselves, but why bother it's easier to manipulate ppl and post fake pictures on Twitter about Brazil.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is a serious flaw in the messaging. You cannot stop climate change. The planet is by all credible scientific estimates 3.5 billion years old and the climate has been changing repeatedly since the beginning. If all human activity ceased tomorrow the climate on planet Earth would still change for the next 500 million years and well beyond.

There is a difference between "climate change" and "man made climate change" if the protestors don't want to be dismissed as nuisances they'd do well to learn the difference.

Thank you!!!

• Cheers 1

How dare those kids do this. Why the heck don't those teenage protesters vote for the party that reps for their concerns?

Or start companies and technologies that will help fight climate change?

Why don't they just shut up, sit back and watch the destruction that older folk are causing, till it is their turn to drive the economy.?

s/

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hopefully they do change votes. Concerning how so many want to kill the Canadian economy. Thank god the majority of Canadians aren't as dumb, that's shown by the very low support for the ndp and greens. May is a complete tool.

The reason for the low support for the NDP is not due to their support for climate change, but low acceptance of the NDP leader for whatever reason, likely race/religion related.

Of course there is also the dichotomy of balancing workers rights and the environment.   How can the NDP protect union jobs linked to fossil fuels when their climate policies will  kill off their jobs.

As for the Greens, they are a fringe party that will only win seats on or near Vancouver Island.   They are not going to win elsewhere.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is a serious flaw in the messaging. You cannot stop climate change. The planet is by all credible scientific estimates 3.5 billion years old and the climate has been changing repeatedly since the beginning. If all human activity ceased tomorrow the climate on planet Earth would still change for the next 500 million years and well beyond.

There is a difference between "climate change" and "man made climate change" if the protestors don't want to be dismissed as nuisances they'd do well to learn the difference.

lol

• Upvote 2

Just like the forestry truckers last week, I'm on your side! please don't block our way to work.

That said, I just drove the DT core and Broadway to Burrard.

Not much congestion at all. North bound left hand lane on the Granville bridge is a bit slow as people turn into the Westend.

Are we truly in a climate crisis to the point where peoples lively hoods and households in Canada need to be affected?  If that is really is the case, why are not talking about more extreme measures? Like turning off energy in people homes this winter, or implementing a 1 child law, or better yet lets reducing the population by about a few billion.  If we truly only have 12 years left why are so focused on the small cap CO2 emissions like Canadians.  Shutting Canada down completely doesn’t make a blimp on the global emissions rise, thus no closer at preventing our impending doom in 12 years. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, inane said:

lol

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

The whole point of my original post was there is a difference between natural climate change (ice ages etc) and unnatural man made climate change (burning of fossil fuels). Both are a reality. And if one doesn't want to be looked upon as a fool they should learn the difference and be able to present a cogent argument.

"lol" is not a compelling argument and will not have people taking you seriously.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

The whole point of my original post was there is a difference between natural climate change (ice ages etc) and unnatural man made climate change (burning of fossil fuels). Both are a reality. And if one doesn't want to be looked upon as a fool they should learn the difference and be able to present a cogent argument.

"lol" is not a compelling argument and will not have people taking you seriously.

lol 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah i just don't see how this is going to get more support from regular folks. But on the other hand something needs to happen I guess....

The issue a lot of the protesters don't seem to be grasping is basic human nature, nor "the big picture". By telling "everyone else" exactly how wrong they are, continuously, they are essentially hurting their own cause. Nobody really likes being told what to do, or how stupid they are, or how shameful they are. When someone is commuting an hour a day just trying to get by and keep the food on the table, some dingbats blocking traffic to impact individuals for "positive changes to the environment" is not going to get a positive response.

At this point, people are probably as aware as they are going to be, or want to be at this point. The 'big' issue is we can't do anything about the elephants in the room/globe. It's nice to drop our own consumption - no question, but given our relatively minor status on the global stage compared to the EU, China, USA, Japan, India it seems to make little sense to actively sabotage ourselves economically or in other ways while the other big powers steam on ahead with or without us.

Moreover, I'm growing weary of the bought & shipped protesters for whatever it is "today" that somebody else is funding. It's all about money at this point, maybe they've been convinced it's a good cause or something, but at the end of the day "something/someone" is funding these things to happen, and I'd be willing to bet a dollar that those interests in keeping our own materials out of the global supply will be at least in part funding a lot of the hullabaloo. Somebody is getting paid for all this.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Alright, against my better judgement I'll bite.

Let me just ask you one question. Was the climate on planet Earth changing before mankind made his appearance and started burning fossil fuels?

Counter question:

Are you seriously going to attempt to invalidate the views of all these protesters because some of them shortened "Human caused climate change" to "climate change"?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Alright, against my better judgement I'll bite.

Let me just ask you one question. Was the climate on planet Earth changing before mankind made his appearance and started burning fossil fuels?

Yes, of course. 

I have just one question for you.....

Are humans increasing the rate of climate change ?

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Counter question:

Are you seriously going to attempt to invalidate the views of all these protesters because some of them shortened "Human caused climate change" to "climate change"?

I'm not attempting to invalidate anything. I'm simply saying if you want your message to have maximum effect and resonate with the most people it's helps to be accurate with your messaging.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Counter question:

I sincerely doubt that the majority of these protestors are thinking of this very deeply. Let a week go by, life will catch up and they will be on some other kick. Its just the popular thing to do right now and its completely meaningless. The way forward is not to antagonize the majority of the population, the way to be heard is come of with a plan or 25, and start there. This is just virtue signaling at its most hysterical. It's a joke.

Anyone even heard of Thorium driven nuclear reactors? It works, is safe, is proven and the only reason it's not used widely is that you can't create weapons with the process. But no, no one cares, they just want us all to know how virtuous they are and then go home post their Instagram and blog about how awesome they are that they care so much, while really actually not giving a f%&k.

Here's a general overview of Thorium if you're interested.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Upvote 1