The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, of course. 

I have just one question for you.....

Are humans increasing the rate of climate change ?

Do me a favor, will ya? If you're going to join a conversation in progress, quote people and ask them questions, is it too much to ask that you actually read the thread before hand.

I have already addressed your question before you even asked it. You're welcome.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, brownky said:

The issue a lot of the protesters don't seem to be grasping is basic human nature, nor "the big picture". By telling "everyone else" exactly how wrong they are, continuously, they are essentially hurting their own cause. Nobody really likes being told what to do, or how stupid they are, or how shameful they are. When someone is commuting an hour a day just trying to get by and keep the food on the table, some dingbats blocking traffic to impact individuals for "positive changes to the environment" is not going to get a positive response.

At this point, people are probably as aware as they are going to be, or want to be at this point. The 'big' issue is we can't do anything about the elephants in the room/globe. It's nice to drop our own consumption - no question, but given our relatively minor status on the global stage compared to the EU, China, USA, Japan, India it seems to make little sense to actively sabotage ourselves economically or in other ways while the other big powers steam on ahead with or without us.

Moreover, I'm growing weary of the bought & shipped protesters for whatever it is "today" that somebody else is funding. It's all about money at this point, maybe they've been convinced it's a good cause or something, but at the end of the day "something/someone" is funding these things to happen, and I'd be willing to bet a dollar that those interests in keeping our own materials out of the global supply will be at least in part funding a lot of the hullabaloo. Somebody is getting paid for all this.

I have a hard time buying into the paid protestor thing. If thats a real gig, I'd like a piece of that :lol:

Technology got us into a climate crisis, technology will get us out. We need better cheaper electric cars, more conversion off coal to natural gas, and better carbon capture. 

8 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I sincerely doubt that the majority of these protestors are thinking of this very deeply. Let a week go by, life will catch up and they will be on some other kick. Its just the popular thing to do right now and its completely meaningless. The way forward is not to antagonize the majority of the population, the way to be heard is come of with a plan or 25, and start there. This is just virtue signaling at its most hysterical. It's a joke.

Anyone even heard of Thorium driven nuclear reactors? It works, is safe, is proven and the only reason it's not used widely is that you can't create weapons with the process. But no, no one cares, they just want us all to know how virtuous they are and then go home post their Instagram and blog about how awesome they are that they care so much, while really actually not giving a f%&k.

Young people today in BC

Can't afford the cost of post secondary Education  in Canada and can't access the crappy student loan programs that our governments offer. 

Can't afford liveable housing in the lower mainland

Can't afford ICBC insurance in BC

Get the lowest wages here  in BC of all of Canada.....

Watching the extinction / disappearance of numerous BC fish / animals. 

And you wonder why  / if young people here are going to ramp up protests  / actions in our province.......  ? 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Do me a favor, will ya? If you're going to join a conversation in progress, quote people and ask them questions, is it too much to ask that you actually read the thread before hand.

I have already addressed your question before you even asked it. You're welcome.

LOL 

The only thing you addressed is your poor understanding of science.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Young people today in BC

Can't afford the cost of post secondary Education  in Canada and the crappy student loan programs that our governments offer. 

Can't afford liveable housing in the lower mainland

Can't afford ICBC insurance in BC

Get the lowest wages in BC of all of Canada.....

Watching the extinction / disappearance of numerous BC fish / animals. 

And you wonder why  / if young people here are going to ramp up protests  / actions in our province.......  ? 

Ill listen to the no opportunity argument when I stop getting hired by immigrants that came from nothing and are 15 years later building massive multi million dollar homes.

Ill listen to this argument when they (these poor middle class children) are telling me this after working practically 24 hours a day through their 20's to make something of themselves instead of getting drunk and bitching about how hard it is today.

There's no war you have to go fight, the country is cleaner than 20 years ago, and you can make money with only a good idea and not even have to get off your ass to do it. I think of my grandfather in the Japanese internment camp for 4 1/2 years when he was in his early 20's and you should too. 

Trades jobs are at a very high demand, and I know at least 2 plumbers personally that are multi millionaires.

Give me a break, and get to f*^king work.

Edit - I am mid 30s and I am a millennial.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Bunch of grumpy old folk getting upset that a bunch of kids are not protesting "properly".

so funny.

It's the "grumpy old folks" the kids are trying to convince. Might serve their argument well to deliver it in a language the "grumpy old people" understand.

Hint - Grumpy old people don't respond well to arrogance and being spoken down to.

As you were.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Counter question:

Are you seriously going to attempt to invalidate the views of all these protesters because some of them shortened "Human caused climate change" to "climate change"?

If you are going to go on a crusade it helps to be appraised of the facts, it helps to understand exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish. We cannot ignore reality where some people are there only to sing kumbaya and take a selfie so that they can virtue signal among their friends. No judgement as I am doing even less, just stating facts.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Are we truly in a climate crisis to the point where peoples lively hoods and households in Canada need to be affected?  If that is really is the case, why are not talking about more extreme measures? Like turning off energy in people homes this winter, or implementing a 1 child law, or better yet lets reducing the population by about a few billion.  If we truly only have 12 years left why are so focused on the small cap CO2 emissions like Canadians.  Shutting Canada down completely doesn’t make a blimp on the global emissions rise, thus no closer at preventing our impending doom in 12 years. 

If we really had a climate emergency would the PM fly 2 planes, one being used for luggage? But hey they bought carbon offsets.:lol:

• Haha 2

Students have protested for decades. On a lot of the same issues. 

It's only recently we've seen counter positions such as opposing environmental movements, gender equality, white supremacy and countless more. Positions which were a few decades ago pretty universally accepted as the hallmarks of a free, democratic society now have opposition. The opposite was generally seen as Authoritarian, like Soviet era Russia, East Germany, and Mao era China. 

In the past people who opposed these positions were silent. But with the anonymity of the internet we see there were a lot more than everyone thought.

A lot of it is argued by this idea that everything is over Politically Correct. But anyone who sees the real world can see the real state of the environment, gender equality, etc... 

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

If you are going to go on a crusade it helps to be appraised of the facts, it helps to understand exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish. We cannot ignore reality where some people are there only to sing kumbaya and take a selfie so that they can virtue signal among their friends. No judgement as I am doing even less, just stating facts.

Coo,l so only climate scientists should be listened to.

So why aren't people listening to the over 90% of climate scientists who say there is a huge problem coming?

Maybe because those climate scientists aren't  blocking bridges to get their point across?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have a hard time buying into the paid protestor thing. If thats a real gig, I'd like a piece of that :lol:

Technology got us into a climate crisis, technology will get us out. We need better cheaper electric cars, more conversion off coal to natural gas, and better carbon capture. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/anti-pipeline-american-funding-protest-conspiracy-theory-1.4987202

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-vivian-krause-should-become-a-household-name-across-canada

Also good to keep in mind the sources and slant/origin of those sources and what their own end-goals are, but the numbers are real. It's definitely happening, now the scale and overall effect I can't say either way, but there's hands on the strings making people dance in one way or another. I think critical thinking has been lost to a significant degree in the age of social media echo chambers... that whole question the message, question the sender, question those intentions process is just gone for so many people across the spectrum. Once again, being convinced that you are correct by only talking to people who agree with you until it reaches such a point that "everyone who disagrees with me is wrong" (Aka the Principal Skinner approach) and those minds are now closed - and that's the "Humans have no real effect the climate has been changing for 10000s of years so I'ma roll coal from my truck into the prius" crowd just as much as it's the "we must stop using all oil, gas, and grow our own turnips immediately" crowd.

image.png.e8e49e1e3bfd97d8d7dbeac891d796a9.png

The second half of your comment is on point and I agree with that sentiment completely. I just happen to be in that moderate camp where we should be funding these changes by selling what we've got while we can to countries that are going to get it from somewhere whether us or not. Use their money to get us going in the right direction (like Norway has with their sovereign fund) and invest in the research and technology of these green options.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1