The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Roberto Luongo joins Panthers front office

Rate this topic

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Saddledome :lol::picard:

I think they have plans for a new arena.  It will be shaped like a cone.  It will be filled with Calgary supporters and Matthew Tkachuk.  

Apparently they will be having a contest seeking name suggestions.  Wish I could come up with a good one. I'm drawing a blank.

Edited by Borvat
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Your own back yard might have an 800 lb Gorilla(of a GM) flinging crap in various directions. I heard some HFriffraff suggesting Skinner may be one of the league's worst deals. Then a quick capfriendly glance shows a slew of FA's to sign, with expenditures already in the top-5, overall. Not looking too tidy.

I doubt Skinner is going anywhere within the next couple of years.  The Sabres had no choice but to sign him at that premium.  They put themselves in a weak bargaining position with past GM's incompetent moves.

A lot of salary is going to fall off after this season, but even so the Sabres are going to have to lose someone like Reinhart in order to sign Dahlin to a long-term contract.

Someone like Reinhart could do some serious damage with the Canucks.  Stick him on a line with Bo and EP40 and watch the sparks fly.

The problem is, Reinhart and GM Eichel are best friends and if the Sabres can't fit Reinhart under the cap, GM Eichel could make rumblings about wanting to leave.

Jason Botterill has some serious decisions to make this off-season.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think they have plans for a new arena.  It will be shaped like a cone.  It will be filled with Calgary supporters and Matthew Tkachuk.  

Apparently they will be having a contest seeking name suggestions.  Wish I could come up with a good one. I'm drawing a blank.

Jarome Dome? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hearing on 1040 that Loui Erickson has just retired thus clearing 6 million dollars in cap from the Canucks.  Also confirmed LE has been hired as a special assistant to Benning.  

What would be the difference?  

That would be perfectly fine if Aquilini was ok with parting with that kind of cash and Loui agreed to it.  Thing is Billionaires don't become Billonaires by giving millions away for nothing.

If it were to happen and became a trend, eventually too many teams would do it too and the NHL would make a rule on hiring former players immediately after retirement.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That would be perfectly fine if Aquilini was ok with parting with that kind of cash and Loui agreed to it.  Thing is Billionaires don't become Billonaires by giving millions away for nothing.

If it were to happen and became a trend, eventually too many teams would do it too and the NHL would make a rule on hiring former players immediately after retirement.

Maybe the league could make the new rule retroactive, and punish the teams (like FLA) after the league approved the hire?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the league could make the new rule retroactive, and punish the teams (like FLA) after the league approved the hire?  

Lu isn't getting paid millions by Florida.  I still think Florida is doing it as a culture thing rather than a cap thing.  There are plenty of Sabres that are still working for the team even after their playing days are over especially now with Pegula owning both the NFL and NHL teams.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Canucks didn't treat him as good as the Panthers did. 

Just like a salty ex-gf/bf, CDC will now cry a salty river of tears because an attempt at cheating the system came back to bite the Canucks in the butt.

Cheated? It was a legal contract at the time. F*** Luongo

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

It'll move to Quebec shortly after Bettman retires.  Then the Phoenix/Miami experiment will finally be put out of the hockey world's misery.

I wish that was the case but in reality Bettman is a puppet of the owners. Apparently Jeremy Jacobs (owner of the Bruins doesn't want a team in Quebec.) He needs to change his mind or we need a new owner in Boston. 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He quit on this team and for that I have no respect for him.  Hope that franchise folds.

More like the team quit on him.

The whole Luongo debacle was all misconstrued by the fans who drove him out. He never once demanded a trade out of Vancouver (find me a quote where he said that) and even if he did he never demanded a trade to only the Panthers (remember those rumours of him going to the Leafs and the Habs at the deadline). Luongo knew he was on borrowed time here, with Schneider in the wing, and just wanted to be a starter, anywhere in the league. 

Gillis mismanagement the entire situation by trying to find a new home for him at the deadline of that year. Then, 3 months later, out of the blue, traded Schneider instead of him. So, why would any player be in a good mood, when  the team that you play for, doesn’t want you?

Did he pout to the media? No. Did he refuse to sit out games? No. Did he refuse to show up to training cap? No. He acted like a professional and swallowed his pride for the better of the team and fans. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Cheated? It was a legal contract at the time. F*** Luongo

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Technically what the Canucks and others did wasn't against the rules at the time, but it was still cap circumvention (cheating the cap).  The league screwed up by allowing those contracts.  The NHL acknowledged their mistake by giving all teams 2 compliance buyouts.  The Canucks chose not to use their buyout to avoid Luongo's cap-recapture.  It was a gamble that Aquilini chose to take and he lost.

5 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

I wish that was the case but in reality Bettman is a puppet of the owners. Apparently Jeremy Jacobs (owner of the Bruins doesn't want a team in Quebec.) He needs to change his mind or we need a new owner in Boston.

Jacobs signed over the Bruins to his kids last year.  He no longer runs the team.  He left Boston and moved back home to here in Buffalo.  Fun trivia, my parents actually live near him in Orchard Park (Suburb of Buffalo).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Well, if the new arena is really gonna be cone-shaped, I’m calling it the “Calgary Shove It Up Your Saddledome.”

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Jacobs signed over the Bruins to his kids last year.  He no longer runs the team.  He left Boston and moved back home to here in Buffalo.  Fun trivia, my parents actually live near him in Orchard Park (Suburb of Buffalo).

There goes the neighbourhood!!

• Haha 1

Breaking News:

Loui Eriksson has retired.

In other related news:

Canucks ownership has announced a 3 year $18M contract with Loui Eriksson as professional locker room fist bumper. The club has also announced the creation of a Little Things department, which Loui will head. When asked if this department had anything to do with hockey operations, Aquilini was quoted as saying "No comment". More to follow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

There goes the neighbourhood!!

:lol:

I talked to my father earlier and asked him if Jacobs still lived in Orchard Park.  He said he didn't think so and that his main home is in nearby East Aurora.  That would make sense since there are former Sabres and Bills that live in that area as well.

I've only seen him a grand total of one time and that was years ago at a restaurant called Eckl's.  He spends winters at another home that if I remember correctly is in Florida.

He's actually been very generous to Buffalo.  He could have moved his company Delaware North to Boston if he wanted to but never did.  He's also donated tens of millions to the University at Buffalo (UB) as well as to local hospitals and other causes.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 2