The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out they’ve wanted to trade him since the preseason lol.

Side note. I love Baer and do think he’s an NHL player. If he didn’t have those injuries. My bet is he’d be on the Canucks roster. Imo they kind of derailed his development a bit 

Edited by Devron44

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Irrelevant. Apples to Oranges. Those are all bottom 6 players. Baertschi can’t play a bottom 6 game. He is only usable in the top 6. What top 6 player did he outplay?

Baertschi outplayed leivo and pearson in preseason. And Adam Gaudette is not really a typical bottom six forward and still made the team as an offensive centre playing.

I would be interested in seeing if any stats show Bo Horvat is more productive with Baertchi on his line. 

They have good chemistry in my opinion. Why not bring him up to play with Bo. 

Miller Pettersson Leivo 

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Pearson Sutter Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Baertschi outplayed leivo and pearson in preseason. And Adam Gaudette is not really a typical bottom six forward and still made the team as an offensive centre playing.

Define outplayed? If just point production, then sure, but if we are talking board battles, chasing the puck and being responsible defensively, then no. Gaudette outplayed Baertschi offensively and likely is the reason Baertschi got bumped out. They said it was a hard decision to waive Sven, but I'd say that's because of Gaudette earning his spot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not sure if this embeds, but this one stuck with me. Baertschi loses the puck up ice, makes no effort to get back and watches his check score. That sealed it for me with Baertschi.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/fedun-buries-own-rebound/t-277437402/c-4630933

yep you got it ossi   ya think after being called up you would hustle your ass off after riding the bus in Utica ,  look at gaudette in that video he hustled back  and baer just gliding  back .   yep  baer deserves to be in the ahl  , a rookie simply out worked him  , perhaps his agent should look at the video first before saying we never gave baer a chance  lol

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Define outplayed? If just point production, then sure, but if we are talking board battles, chasing the puck and being responsible defensively, then no. Gaudette outplayed Baertschi offensively and likely is the reason Baertschi got bumped out. They said it was a hard decision to waive Sven, but I'd say that's because of Gaudette earning his spot.

All around offensive game. Baertschi is also a pretty good forechecker. He skates way better than Pearson and Leivo as well. The unsaid reason is probably everyone is nervous about how fragile Baertschi is, and he is 1 or 2 concussions away from ending his career. It sucks, but if we are going by merit, Baertschi deserves to be here. We also have tons of an extra bottom six fowards on the roster currently. Why not keep a spare offensive player? 

19 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Gaudette is a center who can play a fourth line role.

Baertschi is a winger who cannot.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

with a name like sergei shirokov , you should know that preseason points   don't  necessarily relate to regular season,  . right sergei lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Baer is packaged for the Top 6 winger Benning is apparently looking for? I think Stecher could be part of the deal, seeing as Fantenberg looks to be a solid NHL player, and their depth with Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves, etc.

He cleared waivers already this year.  The add to  Baertschi would likely need to be substantial for a team to give up a top six winger in exchange.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

All around offensive game. Baertschi is also a pretty good forechecker. He skates way better than Pearson and Leivo as well. The unsaid reason is probably everyone is nervous about how fragile Baertschi is, and he is 1 or 2 concussions away from ending his career. It sucks, but if we are going by merit, Baertschi deserves to be here. We also have tons of an extra bottom six fowards on the roster currently. Why not keep a spare offensive player? 

The coaching staff clearly disagrees about him being a better forechecker. They felt he was hesitant. Pearson and Leivo are obviously more physical. Pearson can PK. Baertschi has more "skill" (even though Leivo is underrated here), but it simply wasn't a right fit anymore. The concussion concern is certainly there, but if the coaching staff felt he could do what was asked of him, then he would've made the team. He was one of the first callups to earn his stay and didn't do enough. He had a much longer chance to stick than say Goldy did.

We did keep the spare offensive player though. He's in Utica getting ice time. I would argue that having Baertschi in Utica helps with developing players like Lind. Sven may not like that role or feels like he deserves another chance to stick in the NHL and it's fair and Benning is likely doing all he can to find a fit for him, but it has to make sense for our team to move him.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He cleared waivers already this year.  The add to  Baertschi would likely need to be substantial for a team to give up a top six winger in exchange.  

Exactly, anyone could have had him for free if they actually wanted him.  More likely it's us having to give something up to get rid of him.  That's why I don't see Benning being nearly as motivated as Baer and his agent to make this trade.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Furley looks like a guy who might stay on LTIR for the duration of his contract.  So it costs us no cap.  

LTIR often creates a bonus overage that then becomes dead cap space for next season - Hughes and Pettersson look well on their way to hit their bonus A targets. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope this works out for Baer, both for his playing time and also his health. I doubt Jim would need much of a return to get Baer a new home. 

Detroit.

We have turned into the Flames and the Wings have turned into us

• Cheers 1