The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Markus Granlund, Brandon Manning, Eric Comrie, Andy Andreoff

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Would you trade OJ for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Would you trade JV for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Why?  Both worth less than what was used to acquire them.  

There are a few factors when figuring out their "market value".... age, injuries, current development, and how other teams view that prospect.  Toronto doesn't have a need for player like Demko... thus they probably value him less than OJ, as the latter can address a team deficiency more than the other.  The Oilers would rather have Demko than OJ... as one needs goaltender more.  

To use a business analogy.... drafts are like cash and prospects are like stocks.  Once in a while you may invest in a Google or Amazon and win big... and other times you may invest in year 2000 Yahoo! or a 2017 WeWorks.  In the end, cash is still king.  

I would not trade oj or virtanen for a 1st.

Way too much invested on both players, worth more to club then an UNKNOWN draft pick.

Only way i trade JV or OJ is for a better RHD. One but not both.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Technically speaking, neither has Granlund.

Granlund is like the swiss army knives of hockey players.  Can do alot of things but nothing particularly outstanding.  He was kind of like a poor man's Higgins.

Math 1 on 1

When rounding 5 or greater goes to 10

1-4 gets rounded down.

19 is closer to 20 then 15 or 10. Technically 19 rounds up to 20.

So, 20.

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Math 1 on 1

When rounding 5 or greater goes to 10

1-4 gets rounded down.

19 is closer to 20 then 15 or 10. Technically 19 rounds up to 20.

So, 20.

Doesn't that apply to numbers less than one; when you're dealing with fractions.  I ask this cause I don't know.

Course, math was hardly my best subject.  But I'll try that line of reasoning when paying for an item that costs $20.  I'll just give them $19 but tell them, hey that rounds to $20.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Doesn't that apply to numbers less than one; when you're dealing with fractions.  I ask this cause I don't know.

Course, math was hardly my best subject.  But I'll try that line of reasoning when paying for an item that costs $20.  I'll just give them $19 but tell them, hey that rounds to $20.:P

I like the cut of your jib sir, can i buy you a drink ?:wub:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shayster007 said:

seeing Granny on waivers bums me out. I hope he finds a home somewhere in the NHL. That guy was my boy when he played for us.

3 confused faces on your post. What is wrong with people... Granny made some coin. He’d probably light the lamp in Europe If he ends up there next year.

cheers 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

As a side note, I can already feel panic starting to set in in Edmonton. I don't think they're gonna make the playoffs.

Did anyone really think 2 players could carry a team for 82 games.  They have a couple decent dman and The 2 stars. That’s it. Plus check out Leon he’s like 1.5 ppg but a dash on most nights. I think he like -20 around there. That ain’t gonna win hockey games if you’re relying purely on a Power Play 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Did anyone really think 2 players could carry a team for 82 games.  They have a couple decent dman and The 2 stars. That’s it. Plus check out Leon he’s like 1.5 ppg but a dash on most nights. I think he like -20 around there. That ain’t gonna win hockey games if you’re relying purely on a Power Play 

Minus -7 for McSaviour. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hey let's not pretend that playing in Europe is akin to some labour camp in Siberia.  

I'd love to play hockey in Europe and make a million/year.  Hell I'd do it for 70,000$, but on paper I'm worth more in the 70$ range.  

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

To use a business analogy.... drafts are like cash and prospects are like stocks.  Once in a while you may invest in a Google or Amazon and win big... and other times you may invest in year 2000 Yahoo! or a 2017 WeWorks.  In the end, cash is still king.  

Uhhhhh wouldn’t the prospect be the cause because you know what you’ve got? 

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Some are disappointed due to the asset giving up for him.  Sure, Hunter Shinkurak is in the KHL... but considering it was a 1st rounder used.... it's poor asset management.  

Better to trade a quantifiable asset (draft picks) for a known asset rather than having the pick depreciate and then trading it away for something less.  

How is that poor asset management. Granlund already has more NHL games than Shinkurak will ever have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Would you trade OJ for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Would you trade JV for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Why?  Both worth less than what was used to acquire them.  

There are a few factors when figuring out their "market value".... age, injuries, current development, and how other teams view that prospect.  Toronto doesn't have a need for player like Demko... thus they probably value him less than OJ, as the latter can address a team deficiency more than the other.  The Oilers would rather have Demko than OJ... as one needs goaltender more.  

You obviously get this more than you've let on in earlier posts.  The answer is, it depends.  It's all about the risk and uncertainty.

Shinkaruk was traded because it was felt that his development wasn't going well and he had a low probability of playing in the NHL but he still a high ceiling.  Granlund, they knew wasn't going to be a top player but that he was going to play.  High floor, low ceiling, high probability of playing.  Both GM's knew the risk and it pretty much turned out as expected.  Granlund wasn't really a fit with Calgary and was in Van at the time.

A top 10 pick is different than a 20-something pick.  But to the point, a draft pick is for a 17-18 year old and there's a fair bit of uncertainty what kind of a player you're going to end up with in 5 years.  Maybe it's a Yakupov or Puljujarvi or maybe it's Shea Weber.  As the player gets older, you know more what you've got and you can make deals based on reality.    

At the same token, conventional wisdom says that you're going to have to draft your core players because it's almost impossible to trade for them.  So for that reason, high picks are worth a lot.  

A team who thinks that they have already drafted their core is more willing to trade a 1st round pick for a player they feel has a high probability of filling a top 6 supporting role.  This is why Benning moved a 1st for Miller.  Of course, they needed help now, not in 4 or 5 years which is a typical development curve.

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Leon and Connor don’t play nearly hard enough without the puck.  They are one way players.  Those guys need to learn the 200 foot game.  Will they do that though?  It means dropping a to of points off their stats.  Do they have the character to score 90 points, but become winners?  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Seems weird to me that you're getting a few confused faces for this post. 

People have different opinions, I guess.

At the end of Granny's time here, the team had moved on. But we got a couple good seasons out of Granny. He just did his job up and down the lineup to the best of his ability. I liked the guy and felt that was a great trade by Jim to bring him in for a few years.

Seems like it is that time of year when the tire fire in Edmonton gets stoked up for the winter. 

Too bad Granlumd landed there. He has 19 goals for us one year but injuries seemed to slow him down. Hope he finds a sift landing spot.