The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

Wanted JB to sign Simmonds this past summer on a redemption contract, instead of Ferland. 

Both seem to be a wash at this point, but Ferland is signed for 3 more years, while Simmonds is a UFA after this season.

• Cheers 1

OMG hope this happens, always loved wayne , even when he was with the flyers, and if ferland gonna be hurt so much, maybe its time to move on form ferland, hes been hurt so much this year, and if ferland wants to play his style of game, he will get hurt again, wayne is closest to his style of game, and i think he would be awesome in canuck land, hope JB makes this happen

26 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

this version of Simmonds? it's hard to say because we haven't really seen much of Bailey and big Mac. 

Well, for starters Simmonds is still an every day NHL player, whereas Bailey and MacEwen are not and have never been. Plus Simmons track record, experience (including playoffs) and leadership give him the edge, even though he's not the player he used to be. 

Unfortunately I don't think MacEwen or Bailey will have much of an NHL career ahead of them. 

• Upvote 1

To njd: baertschi, goldobin, 4th round pick 2020

to Van: simmonds

miller-petey-boeser 

pearson-horvat-simmonds

roussel-gaudette-virtanen

ferland-beagle-sutter

schaller/motte/eriksson

that line up isn’t any better with simmonds in it no matter what gets subtracted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd trade Sutter straight up to be honest.  Add a bit of cap for this year but shed next year's total, since Gaudette's basically got the 3rd line C role wrapped up, and Beagle's got the 4th line.  Agreed that he does add playoff toughness and scoring from in tight.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Don't want to give up futures for rentals.  We'd also have to give extra to get rid of a bad contract of our own.

For the most part, I would agree with your first statement and I think Benning is on the same page. If we see any trades, I think they will be of the depth variety. 

As far as getting rid of a bad contract goes, that would be if Ferland isn't still on LTIR.

9 minutes ago, x00x said:

OMG hope this happens, always loved wayne , even when he was with the flyers, and if ferland gonna be hurt so much, maybe its time to move on form ferland, hes been hurt so much this year, and if ferland wants to play his style of game, he will get hurt again, wayne is closest to his style of game, and i think he would be awesome in canuck land, hope JB makes this happen

I think this might be because he was good when he was on the flyers ;) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It's about five years too late to trade for Simmonds.

Hopefully JB is just leaving half written notes around the arena for these media scrubs so they report crap and then he will turn around and make a deal not a single person ever thought about....such as the one for JT Miller.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm interested if the Devs allowed this to be expanded, & they take on one or two of our dog-contracts.

Van: Baer, Sutter, Madden, Demko

Devs: Bahl(220 lb, local lad, LhD), Simmonds, Dopey Domingue

That would be 7.7 mill off next yr's cap.

Haha...good god that is horrible.

Congrats though. You turned a Simmonds for a 4th round pick into 7 player deal haha...go finish the hashish pal.  :frantic:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Can't see us offering more than a team like Colorado, who could also use him, has better disposable assets, and has more cap flexibility. 

I see this post every year. 

Colorado never makes the trade Canucks fans think they would. It’s borderline “why try, well get beat” mentality. Lucky for us, we have winners managing the team.

Edited by Me_

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And yet, they have a great prospect pool and an exciting young team.  Maybe not the worst team to emulate.

Ummm.....

Pettersson two years in

Hughes 40pts in his rookie season so far

Gaudette handling 3C pretty good

Tryamkin

Podkolzin on fire in Russia

Madden

Gadhovich

Höglander

Lind

Juolevi

Brisebois