The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

12 hours ago, sassbs said:

Baertschi is done.  He won’t make the team 

Highly doubt that. Maybe with Vancouver, but he played a large chunk of the season, produced really good numbers and got called up to the Canucks, showing that his issues are done, for now. Crosby made a comeback after a what should have been career-ending concussion. 

Every player is different. Baertschi is a NHL-level talent, middle 6 producer. I hope he stays with us personally.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Highly doubt that. Maybe with Vancouver, but he played a large chunk of the season, produced really good numbers and got called up to the Canucks, showing that his issues are done, for now. Crosby made a comeback after a what should have been career-ending concussion. 

Every player is different. Baertschi is a NHL-level talent, middle 6 producer. I hope he stays with us personally.

I would be shocked if Baer plays another game in Canuck colours. Not saying he is not NHL quality just that the depth has overtaken him. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, sassbs said:

Baertschi is done.  He won’t make the team 

Team has given up on him, Sven is a play maker who did well with Bo, Horvat needs a play maker on his line again. Would love Domi but won't be a cheap player to acquire.

Sven won't be given a chance to crack the Canucks roster next year, he will be bought out or traded with retention. Management and coaches are either afraid he will suffer a bad concusssion or are just unhappy with Sven and or his agents comments. 

Either way 0.01% chance Sven is on our roster next season.   

Toffoli 4yr 20m deal is my best offer

Edited by Canuckster86

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Team has given up on him, Sven is a play maker who did well with Bo, Horvat needs a play maker on his line again. Would love Domi but won't be a cheap player to acquire.

Sven won't be given a chance to crack the Canucks roster next year, he will be bought out or traded with retention. Management and coaches are either afraid he will suffer a bad concusssion or are just unhappy with Sven and or his agents comments

Either way 0.01% chance Sven is on our roster next season.   

Toffoli 4yr 20m deal is my best offer

I am not so sure about that.  Management thought highly enough of him to add him to the group for the Edmonton bubble, and I can't see them being upset when he declined for family reasons.  His performance in Utica earned him that and showed that he is over his concussion issues.   If he doesn't get traded, and they don't resign Toffoli, then Sven can be useful to the big team and be a bigger contributor than Eriksson. More valuable than burying him in the minors for another season

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I am not so sure about that.  Management thought highly enough of him to add him to the group for the Edmonton bubble, and I can't see them being upset when he declined for family reasons.  His performance in Utica earned him that and showed that he is over his concussion issues.   If he doesn't get traded, and they don't resign Toffoli, then Sven can be useful to the big team and be a bigger contributor than Eriksson. More valuable than burying him in the minors for another season

Baertschi sealed his fate when he was added to the bubble and DECLINED.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-say-sven-baertschi-opting-nhls-return/sn-amp/

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Baertschi sealed his fate when he was added to the bubble and DECLINED.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-say-sven-baertschi-opting-nhls-return/sn-amp/

"Sven informed us late yesterday that he has chosen to opt out of the NHL return to play program," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said. "It was a difficult decision but ultimately one we respect and understand."

How do you deduce he "sealed his fate" from that?

28 minutes ago, Googlie said:

"Sven informed us late yesterday that he has chosen to opt out of the NHL return to play program," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said. "It was a difficult decision but ultimately one we respect and understand."

I personally think he wants nothing to do with this team anymore.

There is the business side of hockey but there is also his pride as a hockey player. 

Imagine being demoted to the AHL when you were once a main player on the big club's roster. Not to mention he also requested a trade the past deadline, which Benning was keen on doing but couldn't find any suitors.

The club pretty much made it known to him that he is not in their future plans and I think its a matter of time before he gets traded or bought out.

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sent to the AHL because Sven needed a lot of playing time that he wouldn't get with the canucks.

He also needed to improve vastly, he avoided contact worse then loui. Sven also needed to play a long period with no concussion issues.

Then Sven/agent start complaining in the press.

Tried trading Sven in December, that fell apart.

With the canucks in 6 games he had 0 goals 2 assists, -2, 4 pim.

The 2 assists were on the PP.

So, if sven played over eriksson that he would have had 0 points in 10 games?

Sven could have increased his interest in a trade from other teams and helped the canucks playoff chances.

He's gone before next season starts(whenever that is)

On 9/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Googlie said:

The flat cap is going to cripple about 20 GMs and be a wonderful opportunity for about 10.  Unfortunately we are one of the 20

It was always going to be incredibly difficult, even without the flat cap. Benning's really dug a hole for himself.

Even now, it's almost impossible to envision a scenario where we realistically re-sign Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev and maybe Motte (without taking into account Stecher, Guadette, McEwan, Virtanen and Fantenberg whose contracts are also ending) without giving up a key piece like Boeser. And that's just now... Benning's also gotta find enough cap to sign Pettersson and Hughes for when they come off their ELCs next year (while taking into account that Pearson, Edler, Sutter, Demko and Benn also have expiring contracts). It's giving me migraines just thinking about it. 

4 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I personally think he wants nothing to do with this team anymore.

There is the business side of hockey but there is also his pride as a hockey player. 

Imagine being demoted to the AHL when you were once a main player on the big club's roster. Not to mention he also requested a trade the past deadline, which Benning was keen on doing but couldn't find any suitors.

The club pretty much made it known to him that he is not in their future plans and I think its a matter of time before he gets traded or bought out.

I think it works the other way as well. 

Of course there's a business side to hockey or like anything. But pride aside, he was given numerous opportunities, and ultimately, he couldn't cut it.

It's getting to that point with Jake too.

I wish them both the best.