The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I really really hope that JB has a plan in place to get Toffoli re-signed because borderline playoff team shouldn't be giving up a good prospect+2nd rounder for a rental imo

Benning has to feel pretty confident that Toffoli will re-sign. I can't really see why he wouldn't. He'd be living and playing in beautiful Vancouvger with his buddy Pearson, the Canucks are a team on the rise, playoffs is in the cards if they keep playing well. I'm going to have faith he sticks around and that Benning will figure out the cap stuff. Not my problem lol  

• Cheers 3

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

Rentals never work out....so all TDL deals for rentals are dumb...imo

That's simply not true. They work out just as often as they don't. It's also highly plausible he won't in fact be a rental. 

Neither of which makes the price paid 'bad', particularly when you look at what other teams paid for similar/lesser players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Sutter's got to be on his way out. MacEwen is cheaper, and he's a good bottom six guy. At the very least developing well. 

Kind of torn. The reason why I want to keep him is cause he's very flexible. Can play center or wing, can play up and down the line-up, and has offensive upside. 

That being said, if we can find a younger, cheaper player with a bit of term, then so long Sutter. Otherwise might as well keep him.

He's probably our next best trade bait, he and Stecher.

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But if they had to decide between Toffoli or Sutter, who? Because they can't keep both. 

Why?

Trade Roussel, use assets from that (and possibly some retention) to move Baer. *Poof* you've cleared more than Sutter's hit and retained valuable C depth.

11 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m not a fan of rentals they never work out...trading Madden I’m fine with but I would rather it of been for a offseason swop trade (younger player of equal value) .i liked Madden motor and skill set but he’s so small and Hoglander is the Canucks small guy, so I’m not sure where Madden would of fit on the Canucks. 3rd line with gaud? Not really strong or big enough line. 4th line? Not really.

im upset the picks traded I’m sure they where not needed to make this deal. Jimbo gets ripped outa draft picks again. Jimbo should not be doing the negotiating he a deal idiot. ..get Jimbo off the phone and get a badass agent negotiating for the Canucks..just have Jimbo sign off the final deal.

dumb giving up any draft picks. 2020 Canuck can take Draft Friday off and sleep in Saturday 2nd round....what’s Canucks 1st pick now?  in 2020 draft a player at 100 something....crazy and in a strong draft year.

Trade Deadline and Pacific / West Trade Premium had to be paid.

Would you have preferred Tampa bays Trade deadline move: 1st Round Pick and Nolan Foote for Blake Coleman  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I really really hope that JB has a plan in place to get Toffoli re-signed because borderline playoff team shouldn't be giving up a good prospect+2nd rounder for a rental imo

Look at his stats, Toffoli ranges between 30-60pts.  Averages to be about 40pts per season.  Currently makes $4.6M. 

Probably $5.0 - $5.5M per season for 3-4yrs to get him resigned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Yeah but without this move Canucks probably miss the playoffs due to injuries and fatigue, they really want to give the kids some playoff experience. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Trade Deadline and Pacific / West Trade Premium had to be paid.

Would you have preferred Tampa bays Trade deadline move: 1st Round Pick and Nolan Foote for Blake Coleman  

I’d prefer NO TDL deals.....it’s bad dumb desperate GMing.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Look at his stats, Toffoli ranges between 30-60pts.  Averages to be about 40pts per season.  Currently makes $4.6M. 

Probably $5.0 - $5.5M per season for 3-4yrs to get him resigned.

Why would we resign him though?  He’s 28, so really doesn’t fit with our young core, does he?  IMO we shouldn’t resign him.  We have Bess and Jake here, and Lind and Podz coming. 

2 minutes ago, beni said:

Pearson is one of his best friends apparently with another year left on his contract. I imagine Toffoli would seriously consider sticking around. 

More importantly are their wives buddies?  If yes, then Tofu will take less to stay.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would we resign him though?  He’s 28, so really doesn’t fit with our young core, does he?  IMO we shouldn’t resign him.  We have Bess and Jake here, and Lind and Podz coming. 

He is just turning 28 in April, he should have 3-4 more years of prime hockey. Better to sign him and trade him near 1.5 years before the end of contract, he is a legit top 6 forward and imo better than Pearson. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Haha fair But mazanec not really worth mentioning. forgot we gave a 3rd in Miller trade and considering McCann that doesn’t count cause we got Gud for him. 

still a win no?

but how does the team even afford Toffoli, what if he doesn't sign here? How can McCann be ignored, he is a key center on the cup contender. Maybe equivalent to the same position Miller played on Tampa and he is 23 with 31 points, Miller had similar numbers with Tampa.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2