The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] JB not done!!!

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

This might sound crazy, but JB has irons in on PK, but the deal hinges on NJ taking LE... It would look something like this, Stecher, Demko, Lind, and LE for PK. This would bolster the Canucks defence, and put them in a position to make a serious run for the playoffs. Believe it or not the dollars actually work.

PK has more negative value than Loui.  No team will trade for him.  

I hope that JB would know if PK is done, likely not, and he has tried to acquire him twice now, as recently as last summer. I think PK would give us a bit of swagger and there is room for his kind of swagger here. I think he'd be a good fit and we already know what JB thinks.

PK has a lot of heart. Unfortunately his ability to be a premier defenceman has dropped significantly. He is currently being over paid by at least double what he should be and has many years to go to the end of that contract. I wanted him here a year ago but am sure glad now that he never came.

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

PK has a lot of heart. Unfortunately his ability to be a premier defenceman has dropped significantly. He is currently being over paid by at least double what he should be and has many years to go to the end of that contract. I wanted him here a year ago but am sure glad now that he never came.

He has 2 more seasons after this one.  I’d hardly term that “many years to go” lol 

I have to laugh at folks being so sure Subban is done.

He had 31 points in 63 games last year and 59 points the year before.... one point below his career high. He also plays over 20 minutes a game.

He may not be worth $9 million, but he is far from done.

If LE went the other way and the money was evened out (The only way it would be possible)... he would be worth a pretty big sweetener.  They would be giving up a top 4D and be getting a 3rd or 4th liner in return.

• Upvote 1

When they acquired PK, Martin Brodeur talked about how they wanted to bring in a player with personality.  Brodeur was working on the marketing side.

NJD has to compete with the Rangers to bring in fans. Subban has a lot of celebrities on his address list as well as his fiancée Lindsey Vonn.  That was probably part of the appeal for ownership.  He still plays over 20 minutes a night.

Nashville actually missed Subban according to several observers.  They mentioned how he brought so much energy to the bench and was always trying to get players fired up and not give up.  Nashville has had  trouble finding that compete this season.

Not sure NJD wants to trade him for a downgrade marketing wise unless it makes them better hockey wise.  Cap dump for cap dump doesn’t improve their team so seems more likely that they keep the guy that can at least bring in celebrities. He might also rebound.

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I have to laugh at folks being so sure Subban is done.

He had 31 points in 63 games last year and 59 points the year before.... one point below his career high. He also plays over 20 minutes a game.

He may not be worth $9 million, but he is far from done.

If LE went the other way and the money was evened out (The only way it would be possible)... he would be worth a pretty big sweetener.  They would be giving up a top 4D and be getting a 3rd or 4th liner in return.

Completely agree.    My only concern as it relates to Subban, is our long term ability to re-up Pettersson and Hughes.   If we’re trading for Subban, then we’d need to be trading guys that 

Edited by DarkIndianRises

I mean NJD would have to retain salary. at least get PK down to 7 mil. We are already a little tight on cap. we also still need a tough forward.

I would do something like this:

To NJD:

Louis Eriksson

Troy Stecher

Kole Lind

2021 3rd

2021 conditional 5th (if cancuk win a playoff round)

To Van:

PK Subban (2 Mil retained)

Miles Wood

this is too big of a deal though it would never happen. rather just go for Wood.

Edited by Nicklas Bo Hunter

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] JB not done!!!

Hold on here everyone...

Honestly there is something that can work here. Put aside all preconceived bias.

To NJD

Eriksson

Troy Stecher

Demko

2021 3rd

To VAN

Subban 30% retained

Miles Wood

This deal happens for a number of reason.

Moving Demko solves the expansion possible goalie issue. 

Adding Wood solves some of the toughness issue

Swapping Eriksson for Subban solves 2 teams unmoveable contract issues, while at the same time filling voids

As much as I like stecher, I still feel Subban is an upgrade, especially in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hold on here everyone...

Honestly there is something that can work here. Put aside all preconceived bias.

To NJD

Eriksson

Troy Stecher

Demko

2021 3rd

To VAN

Subban 30% retained

Miles Wood

Swapping Eriksson for Subban solves 2 teams unmoveable contract issues, while at the same time filling voids

As much as I like stecher, I still feel Subban is an upgrade, especially in the playoffs.

So to dump Loui we sweeten by taking a player who is done in PK, and his gross contract.  We add to that Demko, and a third.  Then we get Wood, who is a perennial Green Jacket candidate.  And we add Stecher!  :lol:

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So to dump Loui we sweeten by taking a player who is done in PK, and his gross contract.  We add to that Demko, and a third.  Then we get Wood, who is a perennial Green Jacket candidate.  And we add Stecher!  :lol:

I feel like you didn't even read the benefits. Yes to dump Loui we have to take on PK. That's how that works. If you ask me, PK is a better player than Loui will be for 2 more years. So if those 2 cancel each other out then great. If PK can increase his effort by 10% then that's a win.

Then we are providing Demko and Stecher in exchange for Wood. Salaries cancel out.  wood is more valuable than Stecher, by far, which is why Demko and a 3rd goes along too. Yes an overpayment, but Wood is signed for 2 more years at a good price, so that's the justification for the overpayment.

Keep in mind Stecher holds less value than you think.

At the end of the day, can you honestly say the team is worse with Stecher, Eriksson and Demko out, and PK, Wood in? 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I feel like you didn't even read the benefits. Yes to dump Loui we have to take on PK. That's how that works. If you ask me, PK is a better player than Loui will be for 2 more years. So if those 2 cancel each other out then great. If PK can increase his effort by 10% then that's a win.

Then we are providing Demko and Stecher in exchange for Wood. Salaries cancel out.  wood is more valuable than Stecher, by far, which is why Demko and a 3rd goes along too. Yes an overpayment, but Wood is signed for 2 more years at a good price, so that's the justification for the overpayment.

Keep in mind Stecher holds less value than you think.

At the end of the day, can you honestly say the team is worse with Stecher, Eriksson and Demko out, and PK, Wood in? 

Stecher holds the same value as Wood.  Demko is worth a first.  We are taking on PK, who can’t play anymore.  LE for PK (30% retained) is all that’s needed.  Their guy who can’t play fir our guy who can’t play.  Adding Demko is of an asset. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Stecher holds the same value as Wood.  Demko is worth a first.  We are taking on PK, who can’t play anymore.  LE for PK (30% retained) is all that’s needed.  Their guy who can’t play fir our guy who can’t play.  Adding Demko is of an asset. 

Ok fair. I can agree that while their contracts are both terrible, LE's does give a team an out this summer if he retires. This makes his contract less sh*tty.

So, I think the real target is Wood, and I don't think he is equal to Stecher,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Ok fair. I can agree that while their contracts are both terrible, LE's does give a team an out this summer if he retires. This makes his contract less sh*tty.

So, I think the real target is Wood, and I don't think he is equal to Stecher,

Wood is always a big minus player, and he’s not a shut down guy.  Where is the value in him?  He’s like another Schaller, who just coast us a second round pick to dump.  

Personally, I wouldn’t trade Stecher for a guy like Wood.  

JB might though, so we will see. 

52 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hold on here everyone...

To NJD

Eriksson

Troy Stecher

Demko

2021 3rd

To VAN

Subban 30% retained

Miles Wood

After trading Greene Fitzgerald was talking about how they have big pieces already in place - he named Hischier, Hughes and goalie Blackwood.  They are more likely looking for a veteran backup to support him and not someone to take his job.  

They already have Butcher as undersized D.  They can’t just remove size from their lineup and replace them with undersized players.  They need also some physicality and pushback in their lineup. 

Subban has far greater marketing appeal than Eriksson and can still rebound.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

After trading Greene Fitzgerald was talking about how they have big pieces already in place - he named Hischier, Hughes and goalie Blackwood.  They are more likely looking for a veteran backup to support him and not someone to take his job.  

They already have Butcher as undersized D.  They can’t just remove size from their lineup and replace them with undersized players.  They need also some physicality and pushback in their lineup. 

Subban has far greater marketing appeal than Eriksson and can still rebound.  

If the Devils want to get size into their lineup they shouldn’t be building around two Smurfette centres, now should they?