The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Another way to rid the eriksson contract

Someone pass this idea on to Canucks management , how about a side deal with Loui Eriksson. If you agree to terminate your contract at the end of this season mutually and retire, we hire you for 2 years as an advisor to management for the remaining dollar figure to help you learn the ropes of office work. Everyone wins and you can start a new career and no money is lost.

Key Points

- He gets one last kick at the can this year.

- He gets his foot in the door for an after hockey career.

- He doesn’t leave any money on the table.

I know it’s obviously against the CBA most likely but they can pull it off.

• Cheers 1

A buyout next season isn't a horrible option anymore. We save about 1 mil in year 1, then he only costs 3.5 ish year 2. Thats certainly better than some deals we've seen with teams giving up 1st rounders. 

Next best is pay the next bonus, waive to Utica. Chances are he won't report. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's honestly not as bad as people think. There are only 2 years left on his contract after this year. There are so many ways around it...

1- Your suggestion of an "office job"

2- Let him play out ONE more then buy him out in June 2021 - Cap hit would be 4 million for year 1, then 1 million for year 2. This is the best option imo aside from mutually agreeing to terminate the contract.

3- Let him play out one more year then trade him OR trade him this summer (50% retained for both options) - shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and we would still be saving 50% of his contract on the cap. Although if you do that this summer, he would still cost a 1st and a really good prospect to get rid of.

4- Mutually agree to terminate the contract and/or retire because let's face it he's pretty much done and I think he knows it. He could finish his career in the SHL as well. He gets to keep playing and be closer to home.

5- Make a deal with Seattle to take his contract and at that point he would only have 1 year left - although might be tough to swing that considering we might have a couple of good players exposed that Seattle would prefer.

His contract turns into a modified NTC this summer where has can submit a 15 team no trade list. I don't think he'll have 15 teams on it... Opens up some options.

That's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm forgetting other solutions...

1 hour ago, 55Kompressor said:

Someone pass this idea on to Canucks management , how about a side deal with Loui Eriksson. If you agree to terminate your contract at the end of this season mutually and retire, we hire you for 2 years as an advisor to management for the remaining dollar figure to help you learn the ropes of office work. Everyone wins and you can start a new career and no money is lost.

Key Points

I've proposed similar ideas.

edit: Hope he just retires on his own this Summer. If not.....

1. Offer him a position for two years that covers his lost wages.

2. If he rejects it, send him to Utica. Make him call management's bluff. Don't give in to a buyout too soon. We need that cap room. Once he starts riding the pine even in Utica, he may finally come around. If he's so stubborn he lasts a whole Comets season, and wants to come back in 21/22, then buy him out. The savings in cap is worth playing chicken with him for at least a season.

Bettman wouldn't dare not accept this as he covered his eyes when Florida did it with Luongo.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongo-number-retirement-panthers-1.5358661

"Florida's all-time leader in wins and shutouts has agreed to become a special adviser to general manager Dale Tallon, a move that has been in the works for some time and was formally announced Wednesday."

I wonder how much "special advising" he's done so far with Tallon?  I suspect Lu's position as special advisor to the general manager is as pertinent as this character's role as "assistant to the regional manager":

31-dwight-schrute-quotes-to-live-your-li

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, 55Kompressor said:

Key Points

I know it is similar to the Luongo situation, but if the Canucks do this they'll get a fine in the millions and lose all their picks in next years draft.

We're stuck with this contract, no way around it.

16 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

It's honestly not as bad as people think. There are only 2 years left on his contract after this year. There are so many ways around it...

2- Let him play out ONE more then buy him out in June 2021 - Cap hit would be 4 million for year 1, then 1 million for year 2. This is the best option imo aside from mutually agreeing to terminate the contract.

3- Let him play out one more year then trade him OR trade him this summer (50% retained for both options) - shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and we would still be saving 50% of his contract on the cap. Although if you do that this summer, he would still cost a 1st and a really good prospect to get rid of.

4- Mutually agree to terminate the contract and/or retire because let's face it he's pretty much done and I think he knows it. He could finish his career in the SHL as well. He gets to keep playing and be closer to home.

5- Make a deal with Seattle to take his contract and at that point he would only have 1 year left - although might be tough to swing that considering we might have a couple of good players exposed that Seattle would prefer.

His contract turns into a modified NTC this summer where has can submit a 15 team no trade list. I don't think he'll have 15 teams on it... Opens up some options.

That's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm forgetting other solutions...

There is no way the old man can be in the lineup next season.In hockey if you're not moving forward and developing you tend to be moving backward.Ask the canucks from 2013 til this year

Edited by cowboy644

1 hour ago, 55Kompressor said:

Key Points

43 minutes ago, khay said:

Great idea! But knowing Bettman, he will introduce a cap-recapture penalty for any player that retires to take on a front office job moving forward, starting with Eriksson.

17 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

This would make Eriksson higher paid then GMJB lol

23 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Cough *Allergic reaction to his hockey equipment* cough

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This would make Eriksson higher paid then GMJB lol

Haha most players are paid more than the GM... I think GMs contracts are usually less than 2-5 million range... so there are a LOT of players already making more money than GMs (and coaches).

Edited by Vanuckles

11 minutes ago, cowboy644 said:

There is no way the old man can be in the lineup next season.In hockey if you're not moving forward and developing you tend to be moving backward.Ask the canucks from 2013 til this year

Doesn't have to be... he can warm up the pressbox and slot in when there are injuries.

12 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Haha most players are paid more than the GM... I think GMs contracts are usually less than 2-5 million range... so there are a LOT of players already making more money than GMs (and coaches).

Players yes but not front office guys, pretty sure JB is making more then the guys he hire 

20 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Players yes but not front office guys, pretty sure JB is making more then the guys he hire 

Oh I see what you mean, you're referring to Eriksson getting paid as a player but holding a front office job? I mean let's face it it's an exception but I don't think JB will think twice about it if it means getting his cap hit off the books

Regardless of how we do away with Loui’s six million cap hit, it’s obvious we must.  We need to dump baer’s Almost 4 too.  That’s 10 million in space.  We really should dump Sutter.  That clears 14 million, and room to get fir sure Marky, Tanev, and our RFAs locked up.

IMO we either have Loui, Baer, Sutter and keep our best prospects, or we dump those three contracts, losing our best prospects as sweetener, but keep Marky, Tanev, and our RFAs.   JB is definitely in a pickle.

6 hours ago, 55Kompressor said:

Key Points

Not a realistic idea.  Bordering on Corky Thatcheresque.

Eriksson will either retire after July 15th when he gets his signing bonus (which is not against the CBA), or he’ll be moved to Ottawa or Detroit with Demko being the sweetener (Ottawa and Detroit could use a good goaltending prospect that has a realistic shot of being a starter one day, and both teams also have enough cap room to accommodate Eriksson’s cap hit should he stick around for the 2020-2021 season).