The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

aqua59

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The AHL is there to get farm guys ready. Not sure there are many guys that get to come up to the NHL not being able to contribute and just be there to learn. 

how do you pick up a Miller-type for free?

Tkachuk talk is totally useless. We didn't pick him, we can't go back. I don't know why people wont let it go, its a total waste of time to beat that dead horse. 

I agree about the AHL, but if your bringing someone up, get them some minutes in  a game to show them how much they need to work on , they would go back appreciative and have more understanding, that as much as they believed they were good enough, they can see what they need to work on now

You misunderstood me  I had wanted to wait a year before picking up a Miller type player ( never meant for free)

I really like Miller on the team and like the way he plays

The Tzachuk reference was misunderstood too, I wasn't referring to we should have  drafted him

I was referring to everyone who says things like If we had drafted Tzachuk  (or so & so) we wouldn't have gotten (so & so)

People who are saying Benniing drafts great, (or the ones who say the obvious choice fell to him) What if we had waited without giving up those top picks and uncovered another foundational dman like some of our last 3 picks before getting a Miller type player or Tyler? Now we will never know what we could have had (using the Tzachuk analogy)

I just thought it might be 1 year too soon to be doing it?

It doesn't make it right it wrong

You can take different paths to get to the same place

Hopefully, we are on the path to the Stanley Cup and not just being competitive (as my initial response to you saying competitive 1 yr earlier) which I agree with we are

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree about the AHL, but if your bringing someone up, get them some minutes in  a game to show them how much they need to work on , they would go back appreciative and have more understanding, that as much as they believed they were good enough, they can see what they need to work on now

You misunderstood me  I had wanted to wait a year before picking up a Miller type player ( never meant for free)

I really like Miller on the team and like the way he plays

The Tzachuk reference was misunderstood too, I wasn't referring to we should have  drafted him

I was referring to everyone who says things like If we had drafted Tzachuk  (or so & so) we wouldn't have gotten (so & so)

People who are saying Benniing drafts great, (or the ones who say the obvious choice fell to him) What if we had waited without giving up those top picks and uncovered another foundational dman like some of our last 3 picks before getting a Miller type player or Tyler? Now we will never know what we could have had (using the Tzachuk analogy)

I just thought it might be 1 year too soon to be doing it?

It doesn't make it right it wrong

You can take different paths to get to the same place

Hopefully, we are on the path to the Stanley Cup and not just being competitive (as my initial response to you saying competitive 1 yr earlier) which I agree with we are

ah OK, yup I did misread you, my apologies. 

• Cheers 1

JB's worst decision to date (no. it's not the LE contract) is not picking Tkachuk in the draft...he was an obvious choice and the type of player the Canucks have been wanting ever since....smart, high hockey IQ, power forward, leader, gritty and can score and set up plays.

This was a bad drafting decision.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Pete M
add

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JB's worst decision to date (no. it's not the LE contract) is not picking Tkachuk in the draft...he was an obvious choice and the type of player the Canucks have been wanting ever since....smart, high hockey IQ, power forward, leader, gritty and can score and set up plays.

This was a bad drafting decision.

Capture.PNG

hindsight is such an easy game to play tho. Benning really wanted PLD for the C depth, after that he was clearly thinking top pairing D which is what the scouting reports had on Juolevi. Tkachuk wasn't viewed as a high skill winger, and we don't know what went on behind the scenes either. 

It looks bad because of Juolevi's injuries, but picking in the order of C, top D, winger isn't the worst way to go about assessing talent. 

JB has to try to cut as much salary as he can this off season. We need to get rid of the dead weight and overpaid players. Need to bring in more energetic players who play with an edge and have some size. Might mean we have to give up more high picks and prospects but we need the cap $ to sign players and bring in a couple pieces still

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hindsight is such an easy game to play tho. Benning really wanted PLD for the C depth, after that he was clearly thinking top pairing D which is what the scouting reports had on Juolevi. Tkachuk wasn't viewed as a high skill winger, and we don't know what went on behind the scenes either. 

It looks bad because of Juolevi's injuries, but picking in the order of C, top D, winger isn't the worst way to go about assessing talent. 

I respectively and strongly disagree....there was no hindsight involved when you look at Tkachuk's one year of juniour stats below.

....and to top it all off, he scored the game winning goal in the Memorial Cup Final playing on a badly sprained ankle.

Of course, I'm not going to forget about this very bad decision.

as a long time Canuck fan since 1970, this will go down as one of the worst decisions....second only to Cam Neely trade.

at the time of the pick, I was shocked and upset at this decision...when the player has hockey pedigree in abundance and his stats show how good of a player he is, it was an obvious pick behind only Austin Matthews and Patrick Laine.

Capture1.PNG.bc265706cfc5759aa3fc77006c19ab3a.PNG

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I respectively and strongly disagree....there was no hindsight involved when you look at Tkachuk's one year of juniour stats below.

....and to top it all off, he scored the game winning goal in the Memorial Cup Final playing on a badly sprained ankle.

as a long time Canuck fan since 1970, this will go down as one of the worst decisions....second only to Cam Neely trade.

at the time of the pick, I was shocked and upset at this decision...when the player has hockey pedigree in abundance and his stats show how good of a player he is, it was an obvious pick behind only Austin Matthews and Patrick Laine.

totally agree... it was a complete shock to everyone at the draft that we didnt take MT. To make matters even worse, it was very well known that Calgary was trying to move up in the draft to take MT. Even if JB wanted a d-man, he could have swung a deal with Calgary to drop down a pick.  I will absolutely give JB credit for his drafting of Boeser, EP and Hughes but at the same time he deserves to be critisized over this drafting blunder

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, TheAce said:

totally agree... it was a complete shock to everyone at the draft that we didnt take MT. To make matters even worse, it was very well known that Calgary was trying to move up in the draft to take MT. Even if JB wanted a d-man, he could have swung a deal with Calgary to drop down a pick.  I will absolutely give JB credit for his drafting of Boeser, EP and Hughes but at the same time he deserves to be critisized over this drafting blunder

totally agree.

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Meh - it wasn't that much of a stretch at the time. Juolevi was no slouch in his draft year either. Check out his awards from that year:

2015-2016

All the standard draft ranking sources had Tkachuk over Juolevi, but most had them close (#4 & #5 on McKeen's and Hockeyprospect). But Canucks had to start drafting defensemen. They hadn't used a 1st OR 2nd round pick on a D-man in eight years (Yann Sauve, 2008). If the same scouting team that identified Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes thought he was worth the reach, then he might have been worth the reach. Unfortunately, injuries have completely derailed his development. I mean, it could happen to anyone - had Tkachuk had the injuries OJ has had, and OJ didn't, instead MT would be struggling and everyone would be praising the Canucks for foresight...which is ironic, because usually you can't predict injuries.

You win some, you lose some. As much as people have criticized taking Juolevi over Tkachuk, it will likely pale in comparison to the scorn Arizona and Detroit will be subject to years for passing on Hughes.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Meh - it wasn't that much of a stretch at the time. Juolevi was no slouch in his draft year either. Check out his awards from that year:

2015-2016

All the standard draft ranking sources had Tkachuk over Juolevi, but most had them close (#4 & #5 on McKeen's and Hockeyprospect). But Canucks had to start drafting defensemen. They hadn't used a 1st OR 2nd round pick on a D-man in eight years (Yann Sauve, 2008). If the same scouting team that identified Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes thought he was worth the reach, then he might have been worth the reach. Unfortunately, injuries have completely derailed his development. I mean, it could happen to anyone - had Tkachuk had the injuries OJ has had, and OJ didn't, instead MT would be struggling and everyone would be praising the Canucks for foresight...which is ironic, because usually you can't predict injuries.

You win some, you lose some. As much as people have criticized taking Juolevi over Tkachuk, it will likely pale in comparison to the scorn Arizona and Detroit will be subject to years for passing on Hughes.

lol... Hughes is a beauty.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Tkachuk is looking great so far...

But I will briefly defend the Cam Neely trade.  The main reason the Canucks blundered was in underestimating the effects of Barry Pederson's injury in Boston.  Prior to that Pederson was en route to be a surefire Hall of Famer.  Like no questions asked.  I will stand by the claim that if you take away his injury in the mid-80s, Barry Pederson would be in the Hall of Fame and have his number retired in Boston.

Even still, in Vancouver he was very good.  70+ points back when that had him in the conversation as best player on the team.

I think not re-signing Ronning around 1995 was an all-time bad decision.  Signing Messier was an all-time bad decision.

Giving up on Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago was unfortunate.  Tiger Williams was important for us, but I think we could have acquired him for other assets.  Vaive became a perennial 50 goal scorer and Derlago a 40 goal scorer.

And some of our complete disaster first round picks since around 1990 are all time bungles.  I won't name names, but some bloody high picks never even played a single NHL game.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

don't you think Jim and Judd can read a stat sheet? something threw them off and they went for defence. If Juolevi had stayed healthy and was in the lineup I don't think there would be as much complaining. If you go back and look at the scouting reports on MT he wasn't considered a 2 way guy, but good down low and tough. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't you think Jim and Judd can read a stat sheet? something threw them off and they went for defence. If Juolevi had stayed healthy and was in the lineup I don't think there would be as much complaining. If you go back and look at the scouting reports on MT he wasn't considered a 2 way guy, but good down low and tough. 

Tkachuk has been in NHL dressing rooms since he was a toddler....he had one thing in mind...pretty sure he picked things up along the way in that environment by being mentored at such a young age...not many players got the schooling he did on being an NHL player...it's not just a stat sheet...however, his stat sheet, his one and only year in junior is outstanding.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

I like Benning. I think the pros outweigh the cons but those cons are really showing right now.

All those plugs and heavy bottom 6 contracts weighing the team down during this slump.  Its hard not to point the finger.

Is this an excuse?

Signing these players to those contracts is what he Had to do at the time to get players like that to sign with a poor and rebuilding team.

You won't see him doing that anymore simply because he doesn't need to because the depth has been built now and we are emerging and a team/ city where players want to be . 

???

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Is this an excuse?

Signing these players to those contracts is what he Had to do at the time to get players like that to sign with a poor and rebuilding team.

You won't see him doing that anymore simply because he doesn't need to because the depth has been built now and we are emerging and a team/ city where players want to be . 

???

We'll see in the next two years or so if Utica is a black hole for players or a place where they develop into legit NHL players.

Even now, It seems that players like Rafferty, Bailey, Boucher, Brisebois, OJ and Lind could surpass some of the current roster players on the Canucks roster...especially Rafferty. In two years, we shall see...

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

We'll see in the next two years or so if Utica is a black hole for players or a place where they develop into legit NHL players.

Even now, It seems that players like Rafferty, Bailey, Boucher, Brisebois, OJ and Lind could surpass some of the current roster players on the Canucks roster...especially Rafferty. In two years, we shall see...

Dont forget pods n hogs who seem like locks 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, whirledpeas said:

Firing the lowest common denominator didn't solve anything post 2011 and never will when the owner's take it upon themselves ( and hey, it's their losing team!)

to GM and coach from the rafters looking for playoff dollars.   Unless the status quo changes at the very top, this team will never win a cup.

Trevor Linden's timeline was correct and was fired for not drinking the Aqua flavoured kool-aid.  Tsk.

Agree - the problem stems right at the top.  Like any organization,change must start there, so Aqua-Lini should sell the team to a new group that really wants to win and not use the franchise as a tax write-off against real-estate investments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3