The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US media report North Korea leader Kim Jong Un is brain dead (after surgery)

nuckin_futz

China source weighs in - North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un is not believed to be seriously ill

Tue 21 Apr 2020 03:12:58 GMT

Reuters citing a source at China's Communist Party's International Liaison Dept

• NK leader Kim is believed not be seriously ill
I don't know how much credibility to assign to comments to Chinese Communist Party officials, perhaps others may think its a reliable source though. 

51 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No idea, Does he even have a successor? Hard to have a successor when you murder everyone around you. IE the uncle, the half brother.

I would assume China will be all over this offering assitance.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a power struggle in the event this news proves to be true.  Hoping against hope for this guy:

Spoiler

Kim Han-sol: The open-minded son of Kim Jong-nam

• 8 March 2017

Image copyright AFP Image caption Kim Han-sol gave an interview to Finnish television in 2012

Kim Han-sol has been the subject of intense media interest for most of his life, and the killing of his father in mysterious circumstances at Kuala Lumpur airport has done nothing to diminish that.

A short video of him confirming his father's death that emerged weeks later has only added to the intrigue.

Kim Jong-nam was passed over for the North Korean leadership and his life since the early 2000s had been spent in exile.

The half-brother of North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un had even spoken out against his family's dynastic control of the North, so it is perhaps no surprise that his son also became known for his open-minded views.

Han-sol has referred to his uncle as a "dictator" and also expressed hope for peace between the two Koreas.

In a 2012 interview for Finnish television, he said: "I've always dreamed that one day I would go back and make things better, and make things easier for the people back there. I also dream of unification."

Image copyright Reuters Image caption Han-sol's uncle is Kim Jong-un, the current leader of North Korea

Although his immediate family was reportedly living in exile, Han-sol, who was then 17 years old, said that he visited North Korea every summer to "meet with my relatives and keep in touch with my family".

When asked about his uncle, he said: "I don't really know how he became a dictator because first of all it was between him and my grandfather."

Change in fortunes

Born in 1995 in Pyongyang, Kim Han-sol spent the first few years of his life living in the capital in isolation with few friends.

But his life dramatically changed in the early 2000s, when his father fell out of favour and moved the family to Macau.

Media captionKim Han-sol: 'My father has been killed'

It was in Macau and later at United World College in Mostar in Bosnia, where he said he became more exposed to different cultures and opinions.

He added that he had made friends with Americans and South Koreans. "These are countries which we have been having conflicts with and a lot of tension, but we turned out to be really great friends. That just sparked the curiosity for me," he said.

In 2013 Han-sol reportedly moved to the French city of Le Havre where he enrolled in the prestigious Sciences Po university, to study social sciences.

There have been reports that his next move was to attend Oxford University in 2017, but it is unclear whether he will go ahead following his father's death.

On 8 March, a video was published by a previously-unknown group of a man confirmed to be Kim Han-sol saying: "My father has been killed a few days ago. I'm currently with my mother and my sister."

He showed what appears to be a North Korean diplomatic passport to confirm his identity, though the details have been blocked out, and said he is "grateful to..." before the audio and image were censored.

He ended by saying: "We hope this gets better soon."

In the video, he spoke perfect English with a faint British accent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39036140

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a power struggle in the event this news proves to be true.  Hoping against hope for this guy:

Hide contents

Kim Han-sol: The open-minded son of Kim Jong-nam

• 8 March 2017

Image copyright AFP Image caption Kim Han-sol gave an interview to Finnish television in 2012

Kim Han-sol has been the subject of intense media interest for most of his life, and the killing of his father in mysterious circumstances at Kuala Lumpur airport has done nothing to diminish that.

A short video of him confirming his father's death that emerged weeks later has only added to the intrigue.

Kim Jong-nam was passed over for the North Korean leadership and his life since the early 2000s had been spent in exile.

The half-brother of North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un had even spoken out against his family's dynastic control of the North, so it is perhaps no surprise that his son also became known for his open-minded views.

Han-sol has referred to his uncle as a "dictator" and also expressed hope for peace between the two Koreas.

In a 2012 interview for Finnish television, he said: "I've always dreamed that one day I would go back and make things better, and make things easier for the people back there. I also dream of unification."

Image copyright Reuters Image caption Han-sol's uncle is Kim Jong-un, the current leader of North Korea

Although his immediate family was reportedly living in exile, Han-sol, who was then 17 years old, said that he visited North Korea every summer to "meet with my relatives and keep in touch with my family".

When asked about his uncle, he said: "I don't really know how he became a dictator because first of all it was between him and my grandfather."

Change in fortunes

Born in 1995 in Pyongyang, Kim Han-sol spent the first few years of his life living in the capital in isolation with few friends.

But his life dramatically changed in the early 2000s, when his father fell out of favour and moved the family to Macau.

Media captionKim Han-sol: 'My father has been killed'

It was in Macau and later at United World College in Mostar in Bosnia, where he said he became more exposed to different cultures and opinions.

He added that he had made friends with Americans and South Koreans. "These are countries which we have been having conflicts with and a lot of tension, but we turned out to be really great friends. That just sparked the curiosity for me," he said.

In 2013 Han-sol reportedly moved to the French city of Le Havre where he enrolled in the prestigious Sciences Po university, to study social sciences.

There have been reports that his next move was to attend Oxford University in 2017, but it is unclear whether he will go ahead following his father's death.

On 8 March, a video was published by a previously-unknown group of a man confirmed to be Kim Han-sol saying: "My father has been killed a few days ago. I'm currently with my mother and my sister."

He showed what appears to be a North Korean diplomatic passport to confirm his identity, though the details have been blocked out, and said he is "grateful to..." before the audio and image were censored.

He ended by saying: "We hope this gets better soon."

In the video, he spoke perfect English with a faint British accent.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39036140

KJU assassinated this kid's dad though.

My money is on KJU's sister being the next in line.

Just now, khay said:

KJU assassinated this kid's dad though.

My money is on KJU's sister being the next in line.

Yep, I don't think it's likely at all.  I don't think the transition will be smooth though, and I'm not sure a country so backwards will have the ruling elite accept a female leader.  I would be very surprised to see KJU's appointed successor retaining power for more than a year or two.

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, I don't think it's likely at all.  I don't think the transition will be smooth though, and I'm not sure a country so backwards will have the ruling elite accept a female leader.  I would be very surprised to see KJU's appointed successor retaining power for more than a year or two.

I agree, in particular the bolded.

They are not likely to accept a female leader, although it looks like she has been trained to be the next one. And there will be unrest. China will make a move, they probably already bought off a lot of the high ranking officials. South Korea and it's leader put in a lot of effort towards peaceful re-unification so they won't let China take over so easily. And obviously, US has significant interest in that region. Japan and Abe regime will surely use this opportunity to their advantage. Russia might get involved as well.

The best scenario is East-West Germany style re-unification although I highly doubt China will go away quietly and I suspect Abe is going to use it as an opportunity to change the constitution.

44 minutes ago, khay said:

This makes the most sense.

China attempting to annex would cause a huge uproar, possibly WWIII.

They'll go in due to "humanitarian" reasons.  

Knowing some of the media, they'll be printing lots of the CCP narratives. 

46 minutes ago, khay said:

This makes the most sense.

China attempting to annex would cause a huge uproar, possibly WWIII.

Uproar yes. WWIII i don't think so. I don't think countries would want to endure that over NK. Just my humble opinion. There is more money in peace. At the end of the day it's just speculation

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree, in particular the bolded.

They are not likely to accept a female leader, although it looks like she has been trained to be the next one. And there will be unrest. China will make a move, they probably already bought off a lot of the high ranking officials. South Korea and it's leader put in a lot of effort towards peaceful re-unification so they won't let China take over so easily. And obviously, US has significant interest in that region. Japan and Abe regime will surely use this opportunity to their advantage. Russia might get involved as well.

The best scenario is East-West Germany style re-unification although I highly doubt China will go away quietly and I suspect Abe is going to use it as an opportunity to change the constitution.

Unfortunately, it's been far from perfect. 

West Germany was perhaps even more economically powerful compared to the modern Germany even.  

The East still suffer from a brain drain with many still going to the West.  

People in Western Canada complaining about equalization.... it's even larger when it comes to East Germany.

South Korea unifying with the North.... I don't think the South can even afford it.  Plus their society are completely different.... would probably take over a century before it gets better.  Think of how much effort would it be to unite families and reconnecting with relatives.  Lots of my South Korean friends mention that they probably have relatives in the North... but that's pretty much all the info they do have.  

With Japan, many Koreans are still ingrained to dislike or even hate the Japanese.  A hard position for them for sure.  Help to much and they will be accused of Neo-colonialism.  Don't send enough help, get blamed for not doing more.  

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Uproar yes. WWIII i don't think so. I don't think countries would want to endure that over NK. Just my humble opinion. There is more money in peace. At the end of the day it's just speculation

Average NK citizen's quality of life most likely improves if China is ruling it.  They're both brutal dictatorships, but the Chinese leadership is at least competent.