The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons is hunting/tracking you

Gurn

3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This is why I laugh at people who push the conspiracy theory that the COVID vaccine will have a micro-chip in it cause Bill Gates.  They post this crap on social media, probably from a phone with all kinds of apps that track where they are, what they buy, who their friends are.  

Lol, like ANYTHING from Microsoft will work......now excuse me while I listen to my Zune!:lol:

• Haha 1

The thing is, if you use the internet, use a bank card, etc, you're already being tracked. This isn't limited to phones.

Not only that, but have you noticed those VPN companies that claim they are 100% secure? They are actually lying. They only really prevent companies from seeing your actual ip but there are other ways to track outside of that. If you literally log into ANYTHING that can help connect the dots, you can be pegged.

Luckily, most companies don't track you to do malicious things. Google for example, just wants to target ads that make sense to you for the most part. Although there obviously are still concerns there when you see issues like the one Facebook had selling it's information to a 3rd party.

It absolutely is a concern, but you're already being tracked and a cell phone likely won't make much of a difference in that other than how they can track you.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, if you use the internet, use a bank card, etc, you're already being tracked. This isn't limited to phones.

Not only that, but have you noticed those VPN companies that claim they are 100% secure? They are actually lying. They only really prevent companies from seeing your actual ip but there are other ways to track outside of that. If you literally log into ANYTHING that can help connect the dots, you can be pegged.

Luckily, most companies don't track you to do malicious things. Google for example, just wants to target ads that make sense to you for the most part. Although there obviously are still concerns there when you see issues like the one Facebook had selling it's information to a 3rd party.

It absolutely is a concern, but you're already being tracked and a cell phone likely won't make much of a difference in that other than how they can track you.

This... 

I was shocked that even TOR is not secure without a third party VPN service; as I once tried to use it to bypass a faxing service daily send limit and it wouldn't work. 

Somehow the website was still reading my ip and/or personal information. Even though the TOR IP address had me listed in Germany.. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, drummer4now said:

This... 

I was shocked that even TOR is not secure without a third party VPN service; as I once tried to use it to bypass a faxing service daily send limit and it wouldn't work. 

Somehow the website was still reading my ip and/or personal information. Even though the TOR IP address had me listed in Germany.. 

Exactly. The only real way one would theoretically be secure from that is if they created entire new accounts under that VPN and never use their original ip at all. Not exactly a convenient situation to say the least nor is it even all that possible without jumping through hoops.

It is a way of life now. It sucks and is unethical but at the same time as long as you are a normal every day law abiding joe, it ain't going to affect you whatsoever heck it might even be a convenience.

No real person in these companies is going to actively and purposely dig into your location or browsing history unless you did something illegal. People at these companies are too busy with other things to do that. 

34 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is a way of life now. It sucks and is unethical but at the same time as long as you are a normal every day law abiding joe, it ain't going to affect you whatsoever heck it might even be a convenience.

No real person in these companies is going to actively and purposely dig into your location or browsing history unless you did something illegal. People at these companies are too busy with other things to do that. 

Perhaps one of the main issues (outside of the obvious information leaks) is if you are applying to a job somewhere like IBM, which I've heard they do attempt to view your browsing history. I don't know to what extent or how true that is, but it's something to watch out for if that is what one wants to do.

For most people, there shouldn't be an issue.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Perhaps one of the main issues (outside of the obvious information leaks) is if you are applying to a job somewhere like IBM, which I've heard they do attempt to view your browsing history. I don't know to what extent or how true that is, but it's something to watch out for if that is what one wants to do.

My employer has 400 people in the I.T. department, most of those cruise the social websites looking for bad comments from current employees, and others, plus looking to see if someone was stupid enough to post pics of themselves fishing on the same day they called in ill.

• Haha 1

Just now, gurn said:

My employer has 400 people in the I.T. department, most of those cruise the social websites looking for bad comments from current employees, and others, plus looking to see if someone was stupid enough to post pics of themselves fishing on the same day they called in ill.

Sounds like your workplace has some fundamental flaws there if they need to track people like that.

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sounds like your workplace has some fundamental flaws there if they need to track people like that.

If I wasn't worried about my employer finding me, I'd agree with you. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Probably not unless you are applying for a job that is directly connected to intelligence or the military.

Most companies including major tech companies at most would just scroll through your social media account to see if you have done or posted anything stupid or dumb. In such case one has no one to blame but themselves. 

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

That would suck for someone going through mine, just gonna find a lot of CDC, HF, RFD and Amazon searches for days on end haha