The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

In rural Ontario, we laughed at Toronto too...trust me.  It just seems that it takes Vancouver to come up with terms for snowstorms to make them sound like something Canadians are surprised by.   

I totally agree there is stupid everywhere - one of my favourite lyrics is in this song:...."everybody knows, the world is full of stupid people....."

I remember a lot of us laughing at Seattle, too, because they were even less prepared.  So, in that respect, I know where you are coming from.

You'd really get a kick out of it here in SoCal.  Forecasting as little as an inch of rain means, Stormwatch! on all the news stations.  Roads that have been dry for months can get pretty scary when they get wet, especially when you have people still driving 80-90 mph.  But the hyperbole on the news just makes me laugh, like it's some big deal.  Sometimes it can lead to some mudslides, but it generally takes more rain than that, and more often than not, it's just rain and no real storm worth mentioning.

Thanks for the video... I'll check it out soon.

Already got 5cm here in Richmond over the last hour or so and it’s still going strong. If this keeps up, I’d expect to easily hit that 10-15cm accumulation forecast by the end of the day. 

Driveways and side streets are covered but the main roads are still clear.

Very sticky stuff though. Has the potential to become pretty slippery driving (at least for the unprepared) by the time the afternoon commute rolls around. And could get more messy if things ice up with the forecasted temperature drop in the next few days.

Kids are gonna be psyched though. It was raining hard when they walked to school and so they didn’t believe me when I told them that there’d be snow by the time they came home.

Looks like it’ll be a White Christmas. That’s always nice because we get together for Christmas Eve at my parents’ farm in the valley and the place is absolutely breathtaking when there’s snow.

And I’m gonna get a chance to really test out my new tires on the SUV. :) 

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Already got 5cm here in Richmond over the last hour or so and it’s still going strong. If this keeps up, I’d expect to easily hit that 10-15cm accumulation forecast by the end of the day. 

Driveways and side streets are covered but the main roads are still clear.

Very sticky stuff though. Has the potential to become pretty slippery driving (at least for the unprepared) by the time the afternoon commute rolls around. And could get more messy if things ice up with the forecasted temperature drop in the next few days.

Kids are gonna be psyched though. It was raining hard when they walked to school and so they didn’t believe me when I told them that there’d be snow by the time they came home.

Looks like it’ll be a White Christmas. That’s always nice because we get together for Christmas Eve at my parents’ farm in the valley and the place is absolutely breathtaking when there’s snow.

And I’m gonna get a chance to really test out my new tires on the SUV. :) 

I thought everyone in Vancouver drove a Prius or a Tesla.....:lol:

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I thought everyone in Vancouver drove a Prius or a Tesla.....:lol:

That’s the wife’s car. :lol:

Actually we both like using the little Toyota for most trips. Costs peanuts in fuel and can park that itty bitty thing anywhere.

But I’ll never give up having the big SUV. Great for summer camping and off roading and while it’s a beast on gas, it just laughs at these snowy days (especially with aggressive tread tires and 4WD).

you haven't seen snow until you've been to the north coast.........first pic residential area in kitamat the second is shames skihill between terrace and Rupert feb 2015. 4 feet in 24 hours, snowfall continued for a few more days...................

maxresdefault.jpg

02IMG_0684.jpg

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 2

Oh boy, Downtown snow.

Cue nervous local drivers mixed with a hand full of big trucks from parts unknown going way too fast 'cause "this ain't REAL snow city slickers! learn to drive!"

Does not matter how well you drive in the snow, you're vulnerable to the lowest common denominator. If you don't need to drive, don't.

My 4x4 with snow tires will be snuggled in her spot today and I will be marching the streets in my good old Sorels.

translink decides to go with tire socks ? instead of the tried and true chains ,both being equally as hard to put on but chains wont disintegrate in seconds ,,given the shallow wet snow ,spinning tires to bare pavement way to go translink! my brother is a mechanic for coast mountain bus , says the call outs take hours for  just one bus,  OT tonite lol

Edited by chon derry

Good ol' 4 wheel drive plus snow tires.  

Snow tires makes a huge difference.

I do remember last year where there were lots of people in their BMW/Lexus/Mercedes/etc SUV all stuck going up hill or just skidding down because they keep assuming that 4WD is sufficient.