Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

4 minutes ago, Pink Sock said:

Do we really need him?

This thread might have the answer.....

clutch
By clutch in Canucks Talk, 3 Oct 2008
I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in...
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
  • 8,513 replies
Edited by Cerridwen
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

But if you kick a guy like burr to the curb and don't give him due respect for what he has done for the organization then what do the Horvats and McCanns do come contract time? 

Teams evolve. Burrows ECHL route was a great story but it's nearing the end. Besides, he also hurt the team a lot reputationally so it's not all rainbows and unicorns. The guy has had his turn and made a pile of money. No one owes him anything other than treating him with dignity so other players can expect the same. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bushdog said:

this guy took a Huge hometown discount on his previous contract.  remember?  he got a good boost this contract and all it did was even things out.  he was a very dominant guy for a while and worth every cent.  he's very dependable in any situation and he's teaching young guys the finer points of the game.  if you ever get a chance to watch him on the bench talking to his linemates.  he's not just yapping because they are Listening to him.  guys like him have to be here, they are the third/first line coaches for the kids, a guy they respect a Lot.  he's been there and done it and now he's selflessly passing the torch.  he's been a damned good player for the canucks and I hope he retires a canuck.  and for those of you all for trading hamhuis - think about where that leaves our defense...Think About It!  just quit crapping on everybody you guys.  it makes no sense

No. It's time for Burrows to pass the pest torch to Lucic.

If Hamhuis is traded, that leaves us with potentially a 1st round pick and B level prospect. Pretty good return, plus we can always re-sign him in FA. 

Think about this: We trade the vets Vrbata, Hamhuis, Burrows, etc. Subsequently sinking down the standings and eventually picking Matthews. Who likely will be a far better player than Vrbs, Ham, and Burr combined.

I know it hurts, but we need to lose this season in order to win the following seasons. 

Even if we did make the playoffs... Do you think we could win a Cup with Miller? I doubt it. He's never been to the finals and his career is almost done.

1 step back, but 2 steps forward.

• Upvote 1

Burrows...Do we really need him?

It says a lot about Burrows that that question is only seriously being considered a valid question EIGHT years after that OP was written.

If we are going to retain at least a few vets as guides and examples for the next wave of dedication and hard work, then besides the Sedins, there is no other player that would fulfill that role better.  But if we got a great return, for another good young prospect or high draft pick, and it gave Burr another shot at the SC, I'd be ok with that too.

I believe Burrows gets traded, but next year at the deadline. I don't believe that a team will be willing to absorb a 4.5 million salary for next year when the cap for next year is this unpredictable. I think they like Burrows here to help mentor, kind of like Miller in net.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I believe Burrows gets traded, but next year at the deadline. I don't believe that a team will be willing to absorb a 4.5 million salary for next year when the cap for next year is this unpredictable. I think they like Burrows here to help mentor, kind of like Miller in net.

A bottom feeder team would like Burr's contract because his actual pay is a lot less than his cap hit.  Plus he's not that good, almost guaranteeing a high draft pick.  WE SHOULD KEEP HIM.  :lol:

2 hours ago, bushdog said:

this guy took a Huge hometown discount on his previous contract.  remember?  he got a good boost this contract and all it did was even things out. ...

I have to disagree with this statement. When Burrows signed a 4 year deal in 2009 for 2 million a year my recollection is that it was regarded as a big win for him.

The salary cap was 56.8 million in 2009-10 so 2 million then is about the equivalent of 2.5 now with a cap of 71.4 million. It was a big increase form his previous contract with a cap hit of under 500K. Most of the talk was about how Burrows was a guy coming out of nowhere who had "made good" and was getting a good contract as a reward, with significant term and salary. The talk was not about a "home discount".

He was coming off a good second half of the season after being put on the Sedin line but most people felt, quite rightly, that the boost in his offensive numbers was due in large part to being put the with the Sedins.Prior to that he looked like a solid two-way third liner.

As things turned out, Burrows was great value for that contract, scoring 35 goals the following season and being a big part the run to the Cup Finals the year after that. So he was underpaid relative to his actual performance during that contract, but he was very happy when he signed it.

However, his current contract was a significant overpayment when it was signed and is a much bigger overpayment now. Gillis indicated that he was rewarding Alex for his underpayment on his previous contract in giving him such a rich deal on the current contract.

I agree that Burrows has been a quintessential team player on his time on the team and I like him a lot (although I did not like the diving and taunting that were part of his game). But right now his contract is hurting the team and he will have a hard time even earning a spot on the team next year as guys like Shinkaruk and Gaunce will be contending for spots at LW (along with Daniel and Baertsch), and there will also be a lot of competition at RW (no stars yet, unfortunately, but a lots of competition).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

But if you kick a guy like burr to the curb and don't give him due respect for what he has done for the organization then what do the Horvats and McCanns do come contract time? 

That you need to be accountable and earn your millions. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

They see that no matter what u have done in the past , u better to have something to offer in the present. I would assume they would see that as motivation to skate hard. Nobody wants to play for a team with nostalgia issues. They tend to loose allot 

Giving ice time and a roster spot to a guy that's not playing well would be frustrating to a young guy that has more to offer. It's not about "kicking him to the curb". Every NHL player has a shelf life. When he stops  playing top end , he stops getting top end. That's how business works. I have no doubt they will do it respectfully , but the results will be the same 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1