The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

As much as I've hated his 4M contract, we need to keep SOME veterans around on each line to teach the kids how to play the right way. The Sedins are exemplary mentors for any player. Hansen is another one, and Burrows is definately one too. The first two are high picks, talented, skilled professionals and are balanced by the hard working Hansen and Burrows who had to fight their way into the NHL.

I really like that balance of veteran leadership in the locker-room.

As for everyone else, they can be axed. Dorsett brings nothing particular, he isn't even that tough anymore. Prust was the same. Vbrata could have been useful if he scored more but he's on pace for about 15 goals this season, 20 tops, so we don't need him when his offence can be replaced by Shinkaruk/Gaunce.

As long as we have the hard working vets Daniel, Henrik, Hansen and Burrows scattered amongst the lineup I think the kids will really thrive. Vey and Etem are already showing chemistry with Burrows which is a huge plus. 

If Burr wasn't contributing AT ALL (ala Higgins) I'd be happy to move him but scoring at a 3rd-4th liner pace and playing on the PK is enough to keep him around. The same can be said for Hansen - it's not just his veteran leadership he's showing out there but the fact that he's one of our leading scorers AND does time on the PK means we have to keep these guys around because they bring SO MUCH to the table.

Dorsett isn't scoring, doesn't kill penalties that well, and isn't a good enough leader.

Vbrata is scoring, not as much as he needs to be for his price, doesn't really kill penalties or play well defensively, and isn't a good leader.

For next season I think we need to go into the year with that in mind, and these lines to open up the year:

Sedin - Sedin - UFA (Ladd/Okposo/Boedkker/Lucic all to be had for 6M easily - replaces Vbrata)

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Etem - McCann - Burrows

Shinkaruk

Vey

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As much as I've hated his 4M contract, we need to keep SOME veterans around on each line to teach the kids how to play the right way. The Sedins are exemplary mentors for any player. Hansen is another one, and Burrows is definately one too. The first two are high picks, talented, skilled professionals and are balanced by the hard working Hansen and Burrows who had to fight their way into the NHL.

I really like that balance of veteran leadership in the locker-room.

As for everyone else, they can be axed. Dorsett brings nothing particular, he isn't even that tough anymore. Prust was the same. Vbrata could have been useful if he scored more but he's on pace for about 15 goals this season, 20 tops, so we don't need him when his offence can be replaced by Shinkaruk/Gaunce.

As long as we have the hard working vets Daniel, Henrik, Hansen and Burrows scattered amongst the lineup I think the kids will really thrive. Vey and Etem are already showing chemistry with Burrows which is a huge plus. 

If Burr wasn't contributing AT ALL (ala Higgins) I'd be happy to move him but scoring at a 3rd-4th liner pace and playing on the PK is enough to keep him around. The same can be said for Hansen - it's not just his veteran leadership he's showing out there but the fact that he's one of our leading scorers AND does time on the PK means we have to keep these guys around because they bring SO MUCH to the table.

Dorsett isn't scoring, doesn't kill penalties that well, and isn't a good enough leader.

Vbrata is scoring, not as much as he needs to be for his price, doesn't really kill penalties or play well defensively, and isn't a good leader.

For next season I think we need to go into the year with that in mind, and these lines to open up the year:

Sedin - Sedin - UFA (Ladd/Okposo/Boedkker/Lucic all to be had for 6M easily - replaces Vbrata)

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Etem - McCann - Burrows

Shinkaruk

Vey

Sedin-Sedin-Free Agent

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Sutter-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Vey-Etem

Fixed it for you. Bye Burrows. McCann gets a year in Utica to play 1st line minutes and 1st unit powerplay. 

Just now, Boddy604 said:

Sedin-Sedin-Free Agent

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Sutter-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Vey-Etem

Fixed it for you. Bye Burrows. McCann gets a year in Utica to play 1st line minutes and 1st unit powerplay. 

I'd rather Burrows over Dorsett any day, even at the cap hit difference. Unless we can somehow get some really good value out of Burr in a trade (at least 2nd round pick if not decent prospect) I'd rather keep him and flip Dorsett for next to nothing.

If Burrows remains on the Canucks for the rest of the season, his fate will be dependent on Shinkaruk's development. I foresee Shinkaruk getting an audition for 3lw with Etem and Vey and if he pans out, Burrows will either be moved or become 13th. It's not totally a bad thing either. His versatility to play left or right, his proficiency on the pk, and his leadership could strongly benefit the team.

On 2/7/2016 at 10:28 PM, Salmonberries said:

Lets not forget the ten good years of service from Burrows. It's kind of unseemly bitching about him on the way out.

Remember the good times.

Word.

Lets also not forget the 4 years at 2 million per that was the best bargain contract in the entire league. Burr averaged around 30 goals a season while on that deal...

4 hours ago, IamHomer said:

That you need to be accountable and earn your millions. 

And dont do your team any favors.

Do you mean to say burr is not accountable? All players should retire/decline there salary once there not as effective anymore. 

If you had a dog that saved your life you'd probably take it out and shoot it once it started to get old. 

6 hours ago, Time Lord said:

4.5 million*

On paper, Burr is Higgins 2.0.  Do you remember what Torts said about Higgins, who he liked as a player, "he does everything for you but score."  He meant this as a compliment.  Burr is at about the same place as Higgins was recently.  Do they waive him?  Probably not, certainly not.  The guy bleeds Canuck.   But on the other hand... if you look like a Higgins, you skate like a Higgins and you are a "glue guy" like a Higgins, maybe you are a Higgins.  This is the dilemma for the Canucks. 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Do you mean to say burr is not accountable? All players should retire/decline there salary once there not as effective anymore. 

If you had a dog that saved your life you'd probably take it out and shoot it once it started to get old. 

Cats yes, certainly not dogs - they aren't as tasty.:frantic:

• Upvote 3

Crazy how this thread has gone over the years, Burrows became a huge part of the team, everyone hated on clutch for a few years, now Burrows isn't so good anymore and so many people want him gone. 

I say JB should keep him until next year trade deadline and see if you can get something from a contender at that time. 

With expansion coming he'll get another contract. He's not retiring at end of next year. So move him at the TDL next year and let him try to win a Cup.

Edited by WHL rocks

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Hockey is a business. The management in place now is not the ones who gave him that deal, nor are they the one's who had him in his prime, they don't actually owe him any loyalty so your dog reference doesn't really apply. I make decent enough money but I know if a younger, cheaper guy gets hired and starts out performing me, it's only a matter of time before I get handed my lay off papers. And that's at a 90k salary, not 4.5 million. Why would hockey be any different?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Hockey is a business. The management in place now is not the ones who gave him that deal, nor are they the one's who had him in his prime, they don't actually owe him any loyalty so your dog reference doesn't really apply. I make decent enough money but I know if a younger, cheaper guy gets hired and starts out performing me, it's only a matter of time before I get handed my lay off papers. And that's at a 90k salary, not 4.5 million. Why would hockey be any different?

Agreed.  There  is zero loyalty in pro sports.  The minute there is a better or cheaper option, that player will be shown the door.

Hell, its even that way in Jr A and WHL.  Players are commodities  / piece of meat.   Teams owe players nothing.  So your having a bad month,  down in dumps,  sick,  injured,  GF problems....    Too bad so sad,  Your fired. 

Canucks owe Burrows ZERO.   Burrows owes his personal wealth and his whole career to the CANUCKS.  

The fact that Burrows has been a great canuck can be appreciated and respected.... but at the end of day pro spots is always what have you done for us today.... 

If Burrows can't find his game asap, he will be  Higginized.  Prusturated ,  WEBercized......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Lol    as a big alf fan (the real one) I certainly got that. Haha 

The irony is I really didn't know much of this Alf character until I came to CDC.  Most I have learned (like the cat thing, and Melmac) I learned from other posters' comments.  ALF are my initials!  :lol:. This entire cute furry alien character has developed over these months, while on CDC.  I have never even seen an episode!  

Is anyone else absolutely enthralled watching Etem and Burrows play on the same line?

It's like the master and the apprentice at work, same erratic skating + stick swinging motion except one is just bursting with life while the other is showing clear signs of aging.

I'd be REALLY interested to see Etem play with the Sedin's right now. He has the right mix of feistiness, puck possession, and ability to find the open spots on the ice to perfectly emulate Burr's game in his prime.

Hansen is a cog that will fit in wherever he's placed, so with the season all but in the books it would be nice to test out potential chemistry (SSE) leading into next year.

Edited by Mathew Barzal

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed.  Their is zero loyalty in pro sports.  The minute there is a better or cheaper option, that player will be shown the door.

Hell, its even that way in Jr A and WHL.  Players are commodities  / piece of meat.   Teams owe players nothing.  So your having a bad month,  down in dumps,  sick,  injured,  GF problems....    Too bad so sad,  Your fired. 

Canucks owe Burrows ZERO.   Burrows owes his personal wealth and his whole career to the CANUCKS.  

The fact that Burrows has been a great canuck can be appreciated and respected.... but at the end of day pro spots is always what have you done for us today.... 

If Burrows can't find his game asap, he will be  Higginized.  Prusturated ,  WEBercized......

Burrows is my choice for the guy I want to stick around.  Maybe the Canucks owe Burrows ZERO, but I know for sure Burrows owes the Canucks ZERO.  He has impressed since his first year in the league and has never looked back. No matter what the circumstance he has never been a disappointment.

Beyond that, his play does not frustrate me. Way better than the other three you mention. I think he is helping the two guys he is playing with improve.  If he gets any better I will want him traded.

Burrows would  even probably admit that this season has been a disaster for him.

10 goal   -   20 point  season is not what he was aiming for.     4.5 mil per season is a waste of cap space for a 10 goal scorer..

I think Burrows owes the canucks about 4.5 mil this year. He hasn't really earned it. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The irony is I really didn't know much of this Alf character until I came to CDC.  Most I have learned (like the cat thing, and Melmac) I learned from other posters' comments.  ALF are my initials!  :lol:. This entire cute furry alien character has developed over these months, while on CDC.  I have never even seen an episode!  

Well he was hilarious back in the day. I have season one and watch it with my daughter . She thinks he's pretty funny to. 

Thanks