The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Unless the team looking for such a guy already has him on the roster.

I expect Canucks to be in the playoff mix this year, and Burrows to be a big part of that. But if they falter or come up short, yeah, he will likely be gone at the deadline or offseason (depending on how close they are).

I find it to be more dependent on what the rookies are doing in the AHL. If they seem to be improving to the point where we could bring them up and rely on them to produce as much offensively as Burrows, than I think this teams thinks about shipping him out. Tradedead line will likely be his highest value he has left on his contract.

There are also a lot of other factors like injury statuses, players hot and cold, and other team needs. If Burrows was to be used to be part of a package that helped get this team a bigger need for a playoff run (say a PMD), I can easily see us moving Burrows.

I can really see him being a fit in Montreal. Who knows what details could be involved but their roster could use a veteran presence within their top 9. And it’s also a team he likely waives too.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

especially if we have a young cheaper contract producing similar if not better offensive numbers with in the top 6.

Not saying you're wrong as things could certainly head the way you've outlined but having guys on ELC's does also allow teams to have the luxury of retaining the odd "expensive" vet with intangibles to remain on the roster. It's not always just about putting up points.

Not saying you're wrong as things could certainly head the way you've outlined but having guys on ELC's does also allow teams to have the luxury of retaining the odd "expensive" vet with intangibles to remain on the roster. It's not always just about putting up points.

I definitely agree. It’s not the end of the world having an overpaid player on the roster expecailly when they have other things they can bring to the team. Burrows seems to be a great teammate and dressing room guy. I just see Benning as very cap calculated. If the cap goes up and we can afford to keep him and help our prospects grow, good, I’ll be happy with that if that’s Bennings call.

I just think this team has some other holes to fill where we may need to spend some of the needed dollars. Between Burrows and Hansen’s cap hit, that opens up some room to fit a pretty solid player.

No, we need him like we need oxygen. He breathes life into this team at times.

Oxygen breathes life into you all the time. Fundamental difference.

I'd say we need him though. He's the closest thing we have to a legit top 6 guy. Higgins is more of a tweener and Bones needs to prove he can produce top 6 two years in a row before I consider him a legit top 6. So far so good for that line so far. They're over shadowed by the vintage looking Sedins.

Well, it's what stopped all of our momentum in the second period.

And yes, the Sedins played like garbage in the first period as well. But there is a difference between not playing well and being a dumbass.

It's unfortunate too, because up until that point, Burr was having a great game. There is no excuse for that kind of stupidity though.