The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

1 hour ago, CeeBee51 said:

It's a young mans game, isn't it?  Legs usually go first, just ask Prust or Higgy.

I believe that Higgins's hands went first, started last year.  Legs slowed as well this year.  Burr: both hands and legs, but began with his hands 2 yrs back.  Ankle injuries are bad, though.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden would try their hardest too, and not take shifts off - if they still played.  However, no matter how hard they tried, they would still be too old to keep up.  Burrows is now playing like he's too old to keep up.  

Well I don't disagree with you I think Lindens a god example more to my point.. he had lost what made him the star that he was, but      they kept him around until he decided it was time I still get goosebumps thinking how iginla (one ofd thr true classy players brought his team to centre ice to shake lindens hqand adter his last game ) Doubt burr would get the same reaction but at least let him  play out  his final year with us. he still had 20 goals last year ands could still get close to that this year. Not saying he;s top 6 anymore but has looked good on the bottom 6 still goes to the dirty areas and is still good on the defensive side of thing while still being able to contribute in his lesser role with the team. Without once being a negative in the locker room.. and theres no denying he still makes guys around him play harder and can still be a great shutdown guy on the third or 4th linebottom line is hes worth more t5o uis then some high pick or b prospedct he would fetch while having to retain salary who better to mentor rthe likes odf virt or mcann then a guy who has done nothng but be a class acxt on and off the ice. id keep him over cracknel or lalewski anyday . thanks for the open honrst dialogue rather then the normal idiotic comment one would excpect from some of these cdc tards that have no clue who linden or smyl are plus 1 2 u my malmacian friend

Burr is starting to look and play like Ryan Smith of Oilers fame did in his last 2 years there -- similar drop off in production, slight narrowing of role.  Had one bad year and then a second almost as bad year.  Called 'er quits.   About the same age, maybe one year less than where Smith was in 2012.  The Oilers appear to have let him play himself to the point of realizing he couldn't do it anymore.  Got a big send off.  Is this how Burr is going to end here?  Is Burr at the level of Smith in team history/value?  Smyth I believe retired in the city, is regarded highly... sounds nice.  But can the team afford to carry a player in the last year or two of a career?  (Other than the Sedins/Linden.)  Smith was scratched a few times in his last season, and looked frustrated.  Is Burr almost at this point?  Or will it be next January/February?

37 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Well I don't disagree with you I think Lindens a god example more to my point.. he had lost what made him the star that he was, but      they kept him around until he decided it was time I still get goosebumps thinking how iginla (one ofd thr true classy players brought his team to centre ice to shake lindens hqand adter his last game ) Doubt burr would get the same reaction but at least let him  play out  his final year with us. he still had 20 goals last year ands could still get close to that this year. Not saying he;s top 6 anymore but has looked good on the bottom 6 still goes to the dirty areas and is still good on the defensive side of thing while still being able to contribute in his lesser role with the team. Without once being a negative in the locker room.. and theres no denying he still makes guys around him play harder and can still be a great shutdown guy on the third or 4th linebottom line is hes worth more t5o uis then some high pick or b prospedct he would fetch while having to retain salary who better to mentor rthe likes odf virt or mcann then a guy who has done nothng but be a class acxt on and off the ice. id keep him over cracknel or lalewski anyday . thanks for the open honrst dialogue rather then the normal idiotic comment one would excpect from some of these cdc tards that have no clue who linden or smyl are plus 1 2 u my malmacian friend

Nice points. The dif between Bur and other top 6 players is his journey to the Canucks. He was never supposed to stick in the AHL let along the NHL. No, he is no longer top 6 but can still play a 3rd or 4th line role with a great PK. Does that mean he should? It is always about what can come back in a deal, what he brings to the room, and the new roster timeline. I do think that thee would be teams who could slot Bur into a legit playoff role. He has always been clutch and with some vet line mates with a little size I can see him being effective.

All considered I would love to see Bur get one more shot at a CUP. No one on that roster deserves it more IMHO.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Completely different situations,  Linden in his final year was earning 600k.  Burrows will have a cap of 4.5. Linden was also scratched 23 times in his final year, not exactly how you want to go out.

Canucks in 2008 weren’t a team overfilled with young talent ready to make the jump.  Most of that young talent next year (Baertschi, Vey, Grenier, Etem, Kenins) are no longer waiver eligible.  So now we risk losing some of those players or if Burrows gets outplayed, he risks getting the Higgins treatment. 

If Burrows really does believe that next year could be his last, I doubt he wants to finish it playing second fiddle to the youth movement.  If he’s got some gas left in the tank, I would expect him to want one more kick at the can and sadly, that’s not in Vancouver.

As much as everyone would love to give Burrows the final send off in Vancouver, this is a business first and the pros of moving Burrows greatly outweigh the pros of keeping him.  Financially, short term and long term.

• Upvote 1

Burrows has been slowing for quite awhile. Having had too many aging players on the team made him blend in well or even made him appear fast. Stands out more now with all the young guys.

2 hours ago, bp79 said:

The real problem (if you can get past having a $4.5m cap hit for a 3rd/4th liner) is that there's no roster space for him next year.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem
Virtanen/Gaunce, Zalewski, Dorsett

Grenier/Kenins

Even with that, two very good players of McCann, Virtanen, Shinkaruk or Gaunce will likely be in Utica and unless we're carrying 14 forwards/7 D again, one of Grenier/Kenins will be either traded or risked on waivers. That's before even possibly signing a UFA winger (Okposo, Lucic, Boedker etc) and things get even more crowded. 

Where the hell does Burrows fit in there?

I'm not even convinced we'd be able to deal him even at 50% retained at this point either. Maybe at the deadline but do you hang on to a guy 2/3 of the year just to maybe be able to move him? That means at least three of McCann/Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Virtanen are in Utica then (all four if we sign a UFA). Is Burrows a better option than any of those guys at this point...?

Utica would sure have a good team though! :lol:

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The real problem (if you can get past having a $4.5m cap hit for a 3rd/4th liner) is that there's no roster space for him next year.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem

Grenier/Kenins

Even with that, two very good players of McCann, Virtanen, Shinkaruk or Gaunce will likely be in Utica and unless we're carrying 14 forwards/7 D again, one of Grenier/Kenins will be either traded or risked on waivers. That's before even possibly signing a UFA winger (Okposo, Lucic, Boedker etc) and things get even more crowded. 

I'm not even convinced we'd be able to deal him even at 50% retained at this point either. Maybe at the deadline but do you hang on to a guy 2/3 of the year just to maybe be able to move him? That means at least three of McCann/Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Virtanen are in Utica then (all four if we sign a UFA). Is Burrows a better option than any of those guys at this point...?

Exactly. Money aside, there's no room at the inn. Burrows would be a waste of a roster spot. It's time.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:
5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem

Grenier/Kenins

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem

Grenier/Kenins

sutter is making 4 playing on the 4th. kenins grenier better then burrows? I like virt and mcann I highly douibt both are in Vancouver to srtart next year zaleski is not better then burrows. I'm fine with getting young but not with burrows shink can slide into vrbatas role let gaunce play on the4th and if virt tears it up in the ahl then cross that bridge when needed.. the lieup you propose is way to young with fringe players like kenins grenier and zaleski all 3 who are injury callus at best. and if we go with your lieup that leaves who besides the twins and hanson to mentor these kids. That being said sure if we get a pick       like laine and sign some ufas then that's different. but please don't use kenins  grenier and zaleski. as reasons to get rid of burr last I checked hes not even the one stealing time from the likes of virt or mcann

• Upvote 1

Just now, bp79 said:

sutter is making 4 playing on the 4th. kenins grenier better then burrows? I like virt and mcann I highly douibt both are in Vancouver to srtart next year zaleski is not better then burrows. I'm fine with getting young but not with burrows shink can slide into vrbatas role let gaunce play on the4th and if virt tears it up in the ahl then cross that bridge when needed.. the lieup you propose is way to young with fringe players like kenins grenier and zaleski all 3 who are injury callus at best. and if we go with your lieup that leaves who besides the twins and hanson to mentor these kids. That being said sure if we get a pick       like laine and sign some ufas then that's different. but please don't use kenins  grenier and zaleski. as reasons to get rid of burr last I checked hes not even the one stealing time from the likes of virt or mcann

Goodness, are you seriously this delusional? Sutter was playing on our third last night but has also spent a ton of time on both the first and second for obvious reasons.

Grenier/Kenins will be 13th/14th forwards unless you're proposing having Burr and his $4.5m cap as a spare forward sitting in the press box most of the year? :rolleyes:

Zalewski plays centre ...and at this point he's honestly not far off, A LOT CHEAPER and with more upside.

I've been wrong before but I doubt Burrows will either be traded or waived.

-He is still contributing on the scoresheet and in his overall play.  The Vey, Etem and Burrows line has been a threat for the last few games and will be on the scoresheet again.

-His salary is too high for his value for another team to be interested and the Canucks wouldn't be willing to take on 1/2 value.

Next year is another question... I think the team may encourage him to take an early retirement, and in return hire him as a coach/player in Utica or somewhere else in the organization.

• Upvote 1

If it's possible, trade Burrows before the deadlines and hope that any team might take him.   I think he is still useful player even with a couple of years left.  I know he is still a good player and can still contribute in this game.   I just feel that it is time for young players to make their impact on this team.  His bad year were mostly caused by injuries and he has not been that bad this year.  If no team wants him then buy him out for 2/3 cap hit savings.  

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Goodness, are you seriously this delusional? Sutter was playing on our third last night but has also spent a ton of time on both the first and second for obvious reasons.

Grenier/Kenins will be 13th/14th forwards unless you're proposing having Burr and his $4.5m cap as a spare forward sitting in the press box most of the year? :rolleyes:

Zalewski plays centre ...and at this point he's honestly not far off, A LOT CHEAPER and with more upside.

Was wondering when atypical cdc guy would start the personal attack never said burr is our 13th/14 guy you did.I see him on the 3rd line maybe 4th depending upon the situation. I also said if we acquireto  a top ufa then ya maybe burr will be bought out. sorry to have a diff opinion then u I guess that makes me dillusonal but ask most people kenins grenier and zaleski will not be on this team next year. gaunce shink and burr will I'm betting jake is in the ahl. maybe even mcann  to get some top line minutes. and sorry ur right sutter and his 5 mill contract was on the 3rd all that aside I guess will just have to wait and see what happens just for fun maybe u can show me a few times where burr has been so terrible kenis or grenier over burr ya I'm delusional so if we spot in zaleski a guy 1 month ago without a contract whos spot does he take sutters? mcann? doubt vey is going anywhere and as it is we have to many centres as is I don't a spot for zaleski as much as I like the guy. Also to etem isn't a lock as  of right now id say he is doing ok when paired with vey and burr, but he is yet to score and has one assist tho he did look good last night. all I'm trying to say is who cares about what burr makes if we buy him out we still have 2 mill against the cap. More if we waive him anytrade will cost us 50%retention prolly is that extra 2 mill or less we save worth it when we already have 15 mill in cap space next year and 9 more coming of the book the year after. you cant honestly tell that kenins or grenier plus carrying 2-3 mill of buurs contract makes more sense then having our best shutdown forward who wants to   be here like I said if we bring in a top 6 ufa that makes it a little tougher so lets just see how the next 4 months  to see how things play out

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Burrows or Hansen?

One of these things is not like the other.

Yup, agreed.  Thats why we say goodbye to Hansen.

CDC fans gotta realize you have to give up something to get something.

Trading Hansen we give up ( skill for this years playoffs ) for a  youth with a full career ahead.

Burrows is probably not tradeable. So if we keep Hansen then Burrows ends up on Waivers .

I would prefer to see Hansen moved for valuable picks. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=867378&utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=

When Alex Burrows was approached about becoming the new spokesperson for Hockey Talks, an organization encouraging conversation about mental health, he didn’t say yes and he didn’t say no.

He asked to phone a friend.

Filling the shoes of former spokesperson Kevin Bieksa seemed like a daunting task with how much involvement Bieksa had in creating and supporting the initiative, so Burrows wanted to get the blessing of his former teammate.

feb516_burr_rr.jpg

Bieksa said he’d be honoured Burrows fill his shoes - under one condition: “He told me to try and speak English and not butcher the messaging,” laughed Burrows, adding that Bieksa is a “real funny guy.”

“In all seriousness, Kevin feels that I can do a good job spreading the word and he was more than happy to let me do it, he knew how much I cared about Rick too. It is very important for all of us to make sure we’re raising awareness about mental health and ensuring people are open and aren’t afraid to talk about anything that is bothering them.”

The Canucks host their fourth annual Hockey Talks Day this Saturday, February 6th, when Vancouver welcomes Calgary to Rogers Arena. As part of the night, Burrows’ face and message will be here, there and everywhere.

Another face you’ll become familiar with belongs to Myles Mattila.

The 16-year-old from Kelowna, B.C., learned how to skate when he was three and has been playing hockey for as long as he can remember. When he was 14, a teammate confided in Mattila that he was battling depression. Mattila did what he could to get his friend help and upon realizing others may be suffering in silence, he vowed to make a difference.

Since then the Okanagan Rockets (BCMML) forward has done just that. In 2015 alone, Myles was the recipient of the YMCA Youth Initiative of the Year award and was the first recipient of Northern Health Community Health Star award. He was also a torchbearer at the Canada Winter Games, as well as nominated for Champions of Wellness award.

Mattila is also a youth advocate for MindCheck.ca, a website focused on providing free mental health resources for youth, all while concurrently going to high school. He’s doing as much as he can to ensure anyone who needs to heard, will be.

feb516_burr2_rr.jpg

“A lot of people, some hockey players and many athletes included, think you’re just supposed to be tough and play the game, but sports are emotional and it should be okay to show that side of it,” said Mattila, who will be in attendance Saturday at Rogers Arena. “Especially for hockey players, showing that emotion and crying is maybe looked down upon, but at the end of the day, it’s important to show emotions and work through them.”

Being vulnerable isn’t a weakness and Mattila used Rick Rypien as an example of an athlete who didn’t feel he could fully expose what he was going through. He suffered in silence and paid the ultimate price.

“Educating people on all aspects of mental health can help reduce the stigmas that exist, so in working with Mind Check I’m just trying to be a resource for anyone who needs it. It’s important people know they always have someone to talk to.”

With one in five Canadians experiencing a mental health or addiction problem each year, the Canucks salute those like Mattila going the extra mile for mental health.

You can too.

Use #HockeyTalks to lend your voice through social media; personal photos can be uploaded here to get a Hockey Talks overlay. Social media messages using the hashtag #HockeyTalks will appear as part of an online mosaic to showcase a united voice.

Every Canadian NHL team will host a Hockey Talks game, but that’s far from the end of encouraging positive conversations about mental health.

The Canucks will host BC Children’s Hospital’s third annual "Balancing Our Minds" on February 11, 2016. The free, one-day workshop is for 1,500 high school aged youth in BC to learn about mental health and engage in fun activities and thoughtful dialogue.

Bieksa said he’d be honoured Burrows fill his shoes - under one condition: “He told me to try and speak English and not butcher the messaging,” laughed Burrows, adding that Bieksa is a “real funny guy.”

This part.  Awesome.