The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I feel like there's no way he comes back as the same old sweet, honorable John we know and love. I feel like something has to give, and he'll come back damaged or deformed in some way.

Maybe evil or as a villain? Isn't that what always happens? The hero comes back as a villain to teach you not to mess with black magic. Be careful what you wish for, etc. 

I loved John but I'm a little disappointed he's back. That's so cliché! 

Beric Dondarrion and Lady Stoneheart (book only character) give a good indication of what to expect

41 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I haven't read the books...

I don't want to say more just in case they end up using stoneheart in the show. Though she is several seasons late and likely not showing up. google her if you like. Somewhat high strung in life, merciless and vengeful after death.

36 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Every time I come back, I'm a bit less. Pieces of you get chipped away. - Beric Dondarrion

Beric had been revived 6 times by Thoros of Myr.

31 minutes ago, butters said:

I don't want to say more just in case they end up using stoneheart in the show. Though she is several seasons late and likely not showing up. google her if you like. Somewhat high strung in life, merciless and vengeful after death.

Sounds like I'm on the right track then! I guess we'll see. It would be awesome if John took a heel turn. The bad guys in this series are oh-so-good.

5 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I loved John but I'm a little disappointed he's back. That's so cliché! 

Is it really cliche though? How many characters have died in the show, without coming back? Many of them were bigger if not equal to John as well. The surprise was completely ruined shortly after the finale itself last year, but it's not as if reviving someone like this is treading any sort of common ground.

11 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Is it really cliche though? How many characters have died in the show, without coming back? Many of them were bigger if not equal to John as well. The surprise was completely ruined shortly after the finale itself last year, but it's not as if reviving someone like this is treading any sort of common ground.

Cliffhangers don't work in today's world. People know where the set is, they find out that a character that was supposed to be dead is on the set and its already spoiled. I expect the same thing to happen with Waking Dead's cliffhanger

17 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Maybe cliche is the wrong word. More like predictable. Even without the post season spoilers, it seemed pretty obvious (at least to me) what was going to happen. As soon as last season's finale ended my bf immediately said "Hopefully Melisandre brings him back with the power of the Lord of Light". I just don't like how easily that type of thing can be called ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Maybe cliche is the wrong word. More like predictable. Even without the post season spoilers, it seemed pretty obvious (at least to me) what was going to happen. As soon as last season's finale ended my bf immediately said "Hopefully Melisandre brings him back with the power of the Lord of Light". I just don't like how easily that type of thing can be called ahead of time. 

Maybe it seemed like a possibility, and everyone was talking about it as soon as it happened, but it's not as if they didn't do the same after every season with the other major characters. At least for people that didn't read the book that is.

The speculation was valid, but I don't know that it was flatly predictable. There was a logic to bringing John back, as his story was very big, but it's not like other stories haven't been stopped dead in their tracks with death just because they couldn't be. I think with it being the first time that there was no book material to reference spoilers off of and build predictions off of, it was a different feeling year break.

All that said I think their execution itself was pretty weak. The Wall had a pretty decent first episode, with some solid tension and humour between the parties. The resolution in all respects of episode two was very weak. It's been brought up in this thread already, but it's true. From the entrance of the WIldlings, to speaking to Melisandre, to that (pardon the pun) lifeless ritual resurrection scene, it had far less impact than it should have, spoilers or not.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I was hoping he would be reborn when they burned his body along with his sword like Mel. was describing in her first scene on the show. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/3/2016 at 7:44 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

It became predictable when we found out about Thoros bringing Beric back two seasons ago...

Red Mel and Thoros are both clerics for the Lord of Light and Thoros does a lot more drinking than preaching. He basically spelled it out, when we saw him resurrect Beric after the duel with The Hound. He said something to effect of "I didn't expect it to work, but I tried anyway, because he was my friend".

When Melisandre said that he shouldn't have that kind of power, he responds "I don't have any power. I ask the Lord of Light for his favor and he responds as he will".

When we understand that a priest in name only is able to revive someone, it became almost a foregone conclusion that Jon would be brought back by Mel. I didn't think that they handled it particularly well in this episode, but it was basically the worst kept secret on the planet and has been ever since A Dance With Dragons was released.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:44 PM, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

But the 'how' of it is the real interesting part. I try to avoid the rumors at all costs. Looking forward to a hell of a reveal tonight.