The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I thought this was ending absolutely horrid. Hopefully, the books are not this bad. What should have happened is Dany trying to burn Jon to death in front of everyone and then everyone seeing he is a Targaryen and then Jon telling the dragon to burn her and she is killed. That would have been poetic justice as she fell well of the course of righteous.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I thought this was ending absolutely horrid. Hopefully, the books are not this bad. What should have happened is Dany trying to burn Jon to death in front of everyone and then everyone seeing he is a Targaryen and then Jon telling the dragon to burn her and she is killed. That would have been poetic justice as she fell well of the course of righteous.

but she's a targaryan too

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

but she's a targaryan too

So was her brother and he burned. The point was she fell way off the path she should have been on and become someone who could be burnt.

Everyone would have fallen inline no fighting after that they would have seen that Jon is the true leader. No one would dare try to imprison him or rise up against him and it would be the fighting of Jon's character as Stannis mentioned earlier how he would do the right thing even if he didn't want to. He would do his duty. 

Edited by peaches5

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

So was her brother and he burned. The point was she fell way off the path she should have been on and become someone who could be burnt.

well yeah true so only some targs are fire retardant apparently. 

but since dany already walked through or sat in fire a few times before, i feel like it would take a pretty cringy leap for her to suddenly be easily burned based on her morality

either way, i personally didn't mind how dany went - i thought she had some really great scenes in the finale, actually. surprising for me, as i couldnt stand her character

12 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

well yeah true so only some targs are fire retardant apparently. 

but since dany already walked through or sat in fire a few times before, i feel like it would take a pretty cringy leap for her to suddenly be easily burned based on her morality

either way, i personally didn't mind how dany went - i thought she had some really great scenes in the finale, actually. surprising for me, as i couldnt stand her character

I disagree. The entire series is based on people coming back from the dead for a purpose and then once that purpose is fulfilled they die or can die. Dany's purpose was to hatch the dragons, raise the dragons and save Jon. Once she did all those things the lord of the light would have no more use for her and have no reason to spare her. If Jon decided for her to be burned she would be able to be burned. Then Drogo would see Jon as the Alpha and submit to him and then everyone else would follow suit.

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

As someone who read the books, the first 5 seasons did a great job of adapting the original source, regardless of missing characters or storylines.  The main points were portrayed and moved the story along at an excellent pace.

Unfortunately Martin let the writers finish the rest and the following seasons speak for themselves.  They were enjoyable from a viewers perspective with amazing cinematography and choreography, but very unsatisfying as a fan of the books and first 5 seasons with the sudden drop off in character development and story telling that made the show a success.

In the end, this is the finale Martin had envisioned for his pov characters, except for maybe Jon Snow, who in the books is not Aegon Targaryen.  In the books, I think his fate will bring him back to the wall, but not as the Queen Slayer he was portrayed as, and the real Aegon will kill Daenerys.

I'm content with Bran being king, Sansa ruling the north and Arya going off on more adventures.  The show portrayed the Starks as the ones to cheer for and they came out victorious so the fan service is there.  I wasn't a fan of Daenerys in the books though, and even less so in the show.  You saw her madness building and she died a tragic hero which is fine with me.

As the final scene played out, I was disappointed, maybe because of how the finale went or maybe because there would be no more Game of Thrones, but probably a little bit of both.

Before every new season I would re watch the show with excitement.  But now that I know how it all plays out, I don't think I'll have that same excitement.  Is it worth sitting through another 50 hours, just to watch the quailty of it drop off?

I think I'll just re read the books, because my watch has definitely ended.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

You would think the first thing Tormund would have done was B-line it to Kings landing when he heard Jaime died, but then again she is a Knight of the Ravensguard.

Brienne - "Tormund, do that thing with your hand that Jaime did"

Tormund "Uh......."

14 hours ago, kurtis said:

At least he could of banged her the killed her.............. Or rule beside her and hit it every night after burning a new village! :ph34r:

What’s wrong with burning Kings Landing and everyone in it?  The Mad Queen learned from Sansa that you have to be concerned about how are you going to be feeding all those people after a battle. (Re: Sansa posing that question in Winterfell).  Danny didn’t want people to starve so kill everyone and food problem solved.  Think outside the box.:o

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Why did the lords scoff at the idea of leading their respective holds instead of having a single king? 

Because that would inevitably lead to many wars between those holds for more land/power. At least if the seat of power is centralized it would have to be a complete rebellion which wouldn't happen nearly as often. When full rebellion happens, it sucks, but having small wars all the time would probably suck even more.

Eventually there will be a war between the North and the 6 Kingdoms because of the fact that they are now independent.

8 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Because that would inevitably lead to many wars between those holds for more land/power. At least if the seat of power is centralized it would have to be a complete rebellion which wouldn't happen nearly as often. When full rebellion happens, it sucks, but having small wars all the time would probably suck even more.

Eventually there will be a war between the North and the 6 Kingdoms because of the fact that they are now independent.

Didn't seem like an idea worth laughing at considering the whole continent was at war over a single throne for the entire series, and wars because of that too in the story prior to the series