The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

13 hours ago, allegend said:

Yes, Wednesday's game will be huge. It was nice of Chicago to take care of RSL.

At least temporarily.  RSL is still only two points behind the seventh place (and last playoff spot) Caps with a game in hand.  If the Caps beat Minnesota on Wednesday they'll vault into sixth place over the Loons and Minnesota will be on the hot seat looking at RSL.

The Caps pretty much have to win their last three games to be assured of a playoff spot.  Anything short of that and they'll have to depend on other teams losing.

Had they really been playing at home for the whole season they would be in a safe playoff spot already.

Had they had Ryan Gauld all season they would be in a safe playoff spot already.

But it is what it is and this should be pretty entertaining to watch.

• Like 1

Had a look at the upcoming schedule for all of the team in the hunt and there doesn't really seem to be a clear front runner. The Caps have LAFC and Seattle coming up, which is a tough final two matches, especially having to travel to LA....

I think we can probably expect RSL to leap frog Vancouver with their game in hand, as they host the 'Quakes who are pretty much out of it. However, it gets much tougher after that. First they host the Timbers and then finish away to Sporting KC.

Minnesota also has a tough finishing schedule as they're home to Sporting and then away to the Galaxy

LAFC finishes up their schedule with an away game in Colorado, after hosting the 'Caps on Tuesday.

LA Galaxy also have a tough couple of games. First they visit the Sounders, before hosting what will likely be a desperate Minnesota side.

All of that considered, I'd say the Whitecaps probably need a result in LA. At least a draw......

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Crepeau steals a point for the Caps. 

Sets up a somewhat important game against Seattle on Sunday.  And Seattle is going to come out gunning because they need a win, too.  And they're one of the best teams in the league.

Go CAPS!!!!!

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Crepeau steals a point for the Caps. 

Sets up a somewhat important game against Seattle on Sunday.  And Seattle is going to come out gunning because they need a win, too.  And they're one of the best teams in the league.

Go CAPS!!!!!

Yep. Based on the run of play, you take that point and run....that said, Caicedo could have really improved the 'Caps' fortunes, if he had been able to close the deal on two late counters, as LAFC were pushing for the win...

Hoping that the Timbers can do us a solid tonight in Utah.

The other bit of good news is that just like the Sounders, both Sporting and Colorado have something to play for on Sunday, when they host RSL and LAFC respectively. Minnesota is also playing for their playoff spot, when they visit the Galaxy....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Portland does the Whitecaps a favor tonight.....knocking off RSL 3-1....

Vancouver needs only a draw against the Sounders on Sunday to clinch a playoff spot.

Not that it's going to come into play, of course, but on the off-chance Vancouver should lose on Sunday, the first tie-breaker is the number of wins each team has.  Should Salt Lake and LAFC, for instance, both win and the Caps lose, the Caps would be pushed out of a playoff spot by the tie-breaker.  Which would be a heart-breaker.

Sunday should be a hoot!

Go Whitecaps!!!

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Not that it's going to come into play, of course, but on the off-chance Vancouver should lose on Sunday, the first tie-breaker is the number of wins each team has.  Should Salt Lake and LAFC, for instance, both win and the Caps lose, the Caps would be pushed out of a playoff spot by the tie-breaker.  Which would be a heart-breaker.

Sunday should be a hoot!

Go Whitecaps!!!

Yeah, I assumed that was the first tie breaker, (probably followed by GD) but I wasn't 100% sure, so I didn't mention it.

Since everyone is starting at 3:00 pm, there's going to be a lot of scoreboard watching.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I assumed that was the first tie breaker, (probably followed by GD) but I wasn't 100% sure, so I didn't mention it.

Since everyone is starting at 3:00 pm, there's going to be a lot of scoreboard watching.

Right - all the Western Conference team games start at 3pm.  The Eastern Conference games start at 12:30.

And you have to give credit to MLS - it's an exciting setup.  I only wish the games were on Saturday and not Sunday.  I'll be watching MLS this Sunday but going up against the NFL is never the best marketing move.

• Cheers 2