The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

The Whitecaps have picked up a defender from LAFC via Charlotte's expansion draft:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vancouver-whitecaps-acquire-defender-tristan-blackmon-in-expansion-draft-trade

LAFC defender Tristan Blackmon is heading to Vancouver Whitecaps FC by means of Charlotte FC’s 2021 MLS Expansion Draft, as was announced Tuesday evening.

He joins Vancouver for $350,000 in General Allocation Money for the 2022 season and an additional $125,000 in GAM for 2023, totaling $475,000 in GAM. Blackmon was picked with Charlotte's fourth selection.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Toronto is getting ready for the new season.

From Sam Jones' MLS newsletter:

**************************************************************************************************************

3. Here comes Insigne

Hey, speaking of throwing money at the problem.

Napoli and Italy national team attacker Lorenzo Insigne has reportedly agreed to terms with Toronto FC and would join the Reds this summer. Reporter Michael Singh tweeted that the deal is finalized, citing sources, with the 30-year-old Napoli captain set to join TFC after the expiration of his Serie A contract in June. According to Fabrizio Romano, the move is somewhere around a five-year deal worth about $13 million per season, with another $5 million in bonuses.

This…this is a coup. Insigne is one of the best players in Serie A. He's coming off a season where he scored 19 times and delivered eight assists. In Serie A. He'll be turning 31 by the time he reaches Toronto, but he can still ball at a world-class level and Toronto reportedly came with the best offer for him. There's still all the normal quality of life reasons that major European talents want to come to MLS, that hasn't changed. But Toronto are coming in with legitimately league-altering money here.

The reported $13 million number is more than double Carlos Vela's league-leading salary and more than all but nine MLS teams' *total payroll* last season. This is the kind of move that pushes the league to a place it simply hasn't been before. Now, it certainly helps that they're picking up Insigne out of contract. No transfer fee means more money can go elsewhere. But plenty of players have come to MLS for free. The repercussions of this one are going to be big. We're nearing the next step of what MLS point 0 we're on now.

Oh, and did I mention he's really, really good? This is a transformative move for Toronto. After floundering for a year, they've recovered by snagging Bob Bradley, putting themselves on the verge of one of the biggest signings in MLS history and by working to change the makeup of their roster at top. Jozy Altidore may be gone and Yeferson Soteldo may be gone and Lorenzo Insigne may be in. That won't solve all their problems, but it will leave a third DP spot open. And it's not like they aren't willing to make moves to sure up the rest of their lineup. Folks, I'm asking you once again to be very frightened of just how good Toronto FC can be. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Squire Barnes reported today that there is a very rumour (very reliable, in his words) that Max Crepeau has been traded for $1M allocation money. :sadno:

I was surprised (not in a good way) when I read the rumours about this.

Apparently, Crepeau was the one who requested a trade:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/source-lafc-in-advanced-talks-to-acquire-maxime-crepeau-from-vancouver-whitecaps

"A source adds the deal would be worth around $1 million in General Allocation Money. Crepeau conveyed a desire to be traded away from Vancouver, citing family reasons. He was not with the club when they kicked off preseason this week, with the Whitecaps saying that absence was for personal reasons."

• Sad 2

“They made us aware of a special personal situation he was dealing with … and they were telling us that to get that solved, he doesn’t see any chance to prolong this contract. He doesn’t even know how to get his problem solved if he stays in Vancouver,” Schuster told reporters Thursday.

“… This has nothing to do with money. This has nothing to do with his contract. This only has to do with this very special personal situation. From that moment on, we were discussing how we can help. We want to be an organization that is taking care of all players beyond the pitch and we don’t want to be part of a problem.

“Max (said) he would have a hard time to return and that he would not feel good being here. That is important for us, because he was our MVP, was the best goalkeeper in the Western Conference, one of the best in the league. But would he be able to be the same or to come back and to repeat what he did last year with all of that in mind?”

2 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

“They made us aware of a special personal situation he was dealing with … and they were telling us that to get that solved, he doesn’t see any chance to prolong this contract. He doesn’t even know how to get his problem solved if he stays in Vancouver,” Schuster told reporters Thursday.

“… This has nothing to do with money. This has nothing to do with his contract. This only has to do with this very special personal situation. From that moment on, we were discussing how we can help. We want to be an organization that is taking care of all players beyond the pitch and we don’t want to be part of a problem.

“Max (said) he would have a hard time to return and that he would not feel good being here. That is important for us, because he was our MVP, was the best goalkeeper in the Western Conference, one of the best in the league. But would he be able to be the same or to come back and to repeat what he did last year with all of that in mind?”

This is what makes the trade easier to take.

If the trade had been initiated by the club I'd be wondering what the heck they were doing - trading away one of the best goalkeepers in the league.  And to a Conference rival.   But since they're trying to accomodate a player in a seemingly difficult situation, you can't really fault the team.

Still and all, it's an unfortunate way to start off the new season.

All eyes now on Thomas Hasal.

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

First off the ref is blind and so are the damn commentators. There was no yellow card level offense from the Whitecaps, let alone 3. I watched every replay, rewound and fast forwarded in slow motion to see every frame closely. There wasn’t even any contact! Columbus was falling all over the place. I still can’t believe the announcers didn’t see those instead cautioning the team to calm things down. WTF? Seriously? Ugh so frustrating.

Second this pitch is freaking weird. It’s quite obvious Vancouver is at an extreme disadvantage because they have no idea how to move the ball where they want it.

Third Baldisimo is absolutely useless out here. I may not remember who is usually in that slot, but I know it ain’t him. He needs to be pulled stat.

I honestly don’t know if the score is different even if Brian White were here. They’re playing very badly right now. I’m not expecting a good result, but anything can happen, so I still have hope.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay