The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

I know United were targeting Vidal, and they didn't (and won't) get him.. but when are they going to get a proper midfielder? Ferguson didn't address this for years, and Moyes' last minute, desperate attempt to fix the issue (Fellaini) was a total mistake.

Young looked poor at let back at times

Little bit of bad luck, but really.. United should be winning their season opener against Swansea...

Enjoyed the Tottenham game more.

PVR'd the Arse game, will give it a watch later.

I know United were targeting Vidal, and they didn't (and won't) get him.. but when are they going to get a proper midfielder? Ferguson didn't address this for years, and Moyes' last minute, desperate attempt to fix the issue (Fellaini) was a total mistake.

Young looked poor at let back at times

Little bit of bad luck, but really.. United should be winning their season opener against Swansea...

Enjoyed the Tottenham game more.

PVR'd the Arse game, will give it a watch later.

Moyes screwed up so badly in the transfer marked... Fellaini has been garbage and there was no need for Mata.

Utd still need at least 1 quality midfielder and one or two centre backs. A winger would be nice two, but the type of winger would depend on whether LVG continues with 3 or 4 at the back... If Glaziers don't dig deep, I fear it'll be another season of misery at old Trafford...

Moyes screwed up so badly in the transfer marked... Fellaini has been garbage and there was no need for Mata.

Utd still need at least 1 quality midfielder and one or two centre backs. A winger would be nice two, but the type of winger would depend on whether LVG continues with 3 or 4 at the back... If Glaziers don't dig deep, I fear it'll be another season of misery at old Trafford...

It's easy to blame Moyes, especially when he's replacing a legend. But did Ferguson leave Moyes much to work with? An aged squad and a bunch of mediocre players. I don't really remember, but what was Fergie's transfer record like in the last 2 or 3 years in midfield? Ashley Young on the wing--and he's not been very impressive. Kagawa up front... and... is that it? United have needed a strong, holding or box to box midfielder for a long, long time. Even when they were playing well, the club was regularly outperformed by the world's best teams, IMO.

Meanwhile, Ferguson also saw Pogba--easily the best young midfielder in this year's world cup--walk away for nothing. Of course Ferguson blames the kid and his ego.. because that's what Ferguson did to almost all young players.

But yeah, Moyes didn't do anything. Van Gaal is trying to do something, but ultimately hasn't--he's just been the only one bold enough to really say that the squad is basically shambolic, which is an absolute breath of fresh air, IMO.

but then again, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, because I've been saying Wenger's lost it for a few years too, but he's made some decent moves in the last year or two. Although I think both Podolski and Giroud were pretty much trash signings

As it stands, United is close to getting Benatia and he's definitely above-average and better than what they currently have on defence. Not sure Vidal happens anymore but Ozil to Arsenal went down to the wire, maybe this does as well. Rojo and Blind look like they can become Utd players very soon as well.

Young should go, as should Nani, but I'd still keep Kagawa and Fellaini. I think Kagawa has some serious creativity that United could use and he definitely provides some good depth at the very least. Fellaini, big price tag or not, has shown in the past that he can be a big time player in the BPL. Again, a good depth player to have rather than to dump him for 5.5 million or whatever price.

It'll be an interesting next couple weeks for Van Gaal and co.

NIce to see Arsenal start the season off with a win - the only home team to win on the day.

Not a particularly exciting game to watch, but a win is a win.

Didn't think newcomers Sanago and Sanchez did all that much in their debuts.

Terrific header by Koscielny.

Its not about blaming Moyes, but the fact he never had a plan B or C... Yesterday during his first match in charge LVG made more tactical changes that Moyes did in 12 months....

But its more the fact that Moyes behaved like a kid in a sweetie shop. When he couldn't get the player he was pointing at, he wanted anybody.

Its absolutely correct that when the team needed to be strengthened nothing happened. In defence he started by letting Vidic know he was no longer wanted and the same with Evra... How amateurish to do so before you have ready made replacement.

Totally agree Fergie should have dealt with utd's midfield 3 years ago, as it has been blatantly obvious that utd wasn't good enough there since Scholes first retirement, but I think they had earmarked Pogba for being that player, however Fergies stubbornness or arrogance made Pogba leave on a free transfer...

The signing of Fellaini was a crowd pleaser, and has been a bad signing. His force is not playing in the middle of the park as one of two central midfielder, but more like a number 10 or in a three man midfield, where he can support the striker...That Moyes did not understand that after having him at Everton for 2 years, was probably the main reason the fans were on his back...

There is a lot of driftwood at Utd, and I think pending on who comes in up to 12 players are on the chopping board... (any takers?)

Edited by spook007

United need at least 2-3 top quality signings. The real question is whether anybody is willing to come considering how valuable European competition is.

There was just not enough creativity shown from them yesterday. Aside from Januzaj I see very few players on the squad who can beat players on the dribble and provide that bit of quality in the opponents 1/3 of the pitch. They need players and significant signings desperately, that team isn't just good enough to compete for the title, its not even good enough to stick with the top 4. Mata is an excellent player in the middle but he has more of a direct approach and for him to succeed there you need quality on the wings. You aren't going to get by using the Youngs and Nanis of the world along with Mata and expect to break down organized defenses.

They need that top quality winger, someone like Di Maria would be a perfect fit on the right side but he isn't going to come cheap. They still need 2 excellent top quality defenders, not 1 but 2. Seriously looking at the squad they fielded yesterday made me feel sad and I am a Chelsea fan. So Di Maria, Benatia and another CB would go a long way towards putting up a competitive fight for a top 4 spot.

Do you guys know much about Blind? I know he played leftback for Ajax for most of his career, then moved to a defensive mid position last year and won player of the year and league title in Holland.

that could be a pretty decent signing, if not for anything other than depth.

did Liverpool use that transfer money yet?

Do you guys know much about Blind? I know he played leftback for Ajax for most of his career, then moved to a defensive mid position last year and won player of the year and league title in Holland.

that could be a pretty decent signing, if not for anything other than depth.

did Liverpool use that transfer money yet?

Don't know too much about Blind other than what I saw at the WC and some highlight videos but him going to United makes too much sense. Versatile player that can play out wide and through the middle, very good defensively, and a bit of offensive potential (I believe it was him who assisted a few goals against Spain in their opening match and he did manage to get a tap in vs Brazil). Keep in mind, he's only 24, wouldn't be overly expensive I don't think, and Ajax have said they won't stop him from leaving if a team like United comes around.