The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

I'd say having Kassian, Horvat and Corrado (so far) to show for six drafts is relevant today.

What about Jensen and Shinkaruk? It's certainly more than was in the cupboard when Nonis was fired. Gillis made some good trades, signings and draft picks and some that didn't work out. Pretty much like every GM. So what's the relevance again?

I hated mg for the luongo fiasco. He really messed up.

That being said, the guy is gone now and he did wonders for this franchise. Have a little respect.

In his tenure as gm and president he innovated so many new programs and made this club a hot destination not only because it's in the best city, but because it's organization has top of the line facilities and protocols.

Linden is carrying that legacy on.

Thanks for your years mg.

MG fallacy includes poor drafting/player development which he did address by overhauling our scouting system, but was a little too late after his many years of poor drafting. Yes, he could have signed better contracts but he was gaming the system which backfired on us (the Luongo Rule). Trade wise he was decent like any other GM except the Luongo fiasco.

I hated mg for the luongo fiasco. He really messed up.

That being said, the guy is gone now and he did wonders for this franchise. Have a little respect.

In his tenure as gm and president he innovated so many new programs and made this club a hot destination not only because it's in the best city, but because it's organization has top of the line facilities and protocols.

Linden is carrying that legacy on.

Thanks for your years mg.

This.

Gillis' worst problem was that he was a very good player agent before becoming a GM and as a result, he was not part of the old boys club and in fact, he was the one on the outside looking in. Another big problem is that he has a big ego.

GMs were looking to exact revenge whenever dealing with him and as a result, a hockey trade was very hard to come by,

Case in point was his first draft in 2008 when he wanted to trade for Alex Tanguay from Mtl.

He supposedly offered up a better package but ultimately, Montreal traded him to the Flames

I remember MG griping about how he offered up a better deal and was worried at the time that an unexperienced GM who has a lot of enemies might not have been a good signing by the Aqualinis.

Whenever MG made a good deal, he would act too cool for school which pretty much made other GMs looks bad.

An example is the Ehrhoff deal. (MG capitalized on a capped out SJ team and poached Ehrhoff for peanuts and then patted his own back)

He traded Hodgson and talked about how he padded his stats.

Other GMs see things like this and don't want to deal with MG. They dont want to get fleeced on a deal and dont trust him on a "hockey deal" in case they get screwed. As a result, when dealing with MG, they want to deal from a position of strength and ensure that they are on the better end of the deal.

Over time, this will not bode well as relations must be kept in a league where you have to constantly work with each other.

That in my opinion was MGs greatest downfall.

Look at Benning for example, he's already made a few hockey deals and GMs aren't scared to deal with him in fear of looking bad. Moreover, Benning is from the old boys club so he fits right in.

That being said, I think MG would have been a great GM if he wasn't in such a handicapped position. Some of the deals he made were pretty great and perhaps if he came in more humble, other GMs might have wanted to work with him.

gillis was dead right on trading cody hodgson the guys a bum -22 2 goals 5 assists making 4.25 mill a yr for next 4 yrs as much as kassian isnt scoring right now he makes 2.5 mill less and is alot better as a third liner playing a ok two way game. Some of mikes deals were head scratchers and the luonogo thing was a fail but luo wanted out 3 yrs ago so enjoy florida luo id rather have markstrom who could be a stud and mattias. The best thing that gillis did was not leave the prospects in a state like nonis left it ( tanev, corrado, kassian,jensen, kenins, gaunce, horvat, shinkaruk, fox) are much better than brandon reid and baumgartner

I was one of these people who didn't want this guy fired but looking at it now what has he really left us with?

Tanev, Corrado and Horvat are the only sure things imo and we had to give up a lot to get Horvat. Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce could become busts. I hope I'm wrong, really want Shinkaruk and Jensen to make it I like their style of play, but their is no guarantee of that. Reason I put Shinkaruk in there was because of his hip injury (remember Hodgson's injury, he was never the same after it, but Shink might be different idk).

Benning has a tough job ahead him because Gillis has left little the cupboard empty, but I'm confident in his ability.

Luongo is a good regular season goalie but doesn't have the mental makeup to win when the pressure is at it's highest. Gillis destroyed Luongo by naming him the captain. You can't name a goalie captain especially one with the mental makeup of Luongo. Especially is a city like Vancouver. That move alone probably cost the Canuck's the Cup.

All these Gillis hacks giving him credit for the core of team is astoundingly absurd. How do you circle that square? That’s not my favourite MG propaganda though. My favourite is the effusive praise he receives for the intangibles he’s brought to the organization because the hacks can’t find anything tangible he’s done well.

you a homer the reason we lost the cup is 3 of our centers were injured 3 players had surgery after the playoffs kesler was skating on one leg. luo didnt lose the cup injuries and crappy refs did

lets see things gillis did that were great,

get a elite ppqb erhoff for 2 prospects that never barely played in ahl, got kassian for cody -22 hodgson at 2.5 times the salary, got tamev, fox for free, signed a core to below market value edler hamhuis bieska on open market would be huge price in 2011, got us a ahl farm team, restocked our prospects nonis sure didnt, got a future selke winner in horvat for a goalie thats overrated,

not sure how shinkaruk is a bust hes 19 playing in the ahl learning the pro game wait til next yr when he lights up ahl and gets called up to bigs some fans are astounding its rare than 18 yr olds come into league as a super star. happens once in a while but 19 playing first yr in ahl is not a bust

I was one of these people who didn't want this guy fired but looking at it now what has he really left us with?

Tanev, Corrado and Horvat are the only sure things imo and we had to give up a lot to get Horvat. Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce could become busts. I hope I'm wrong, really want Shinkaruk and Jensen to make it I like their style of play, but their is no guarantee of that. Reason I put Shinkaruk in there was because of his hip injury (remember Hodgson's injury, he was never the same after it, but Shink might be different idk).

Benning has a tough job ahead him because Gillis has left little the cupboard empty, but I'm confident in his ability.

gillis got us kenins, tanev, kassian, gaunce, corrado in 5th round not to bad actually

Archived