The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

Hey, I didn't bring it up. suolucidir walked into it claiming Sulzer was a throw in, and Gragnani was not. That's his "theory". I don't have one. Just the stats maam.

Maybe Sulzer is getting the greater ice time because he is stepping up more than Gragnani?

How noticeable did Cody look last season? Kassian is still a year behind in development than Cody.. If he's going to develop into our ideal power forward then we must all be patient. But I doubt that happens because the fans just always need something to complain about.

that's exactly the point though.. if we were planning to trade Cody.. why trade this year instead of in the off season? like u said.. Kassian is still a year behind in development and he'll NOT make any impact in the playoff.. Cody have the potential to score the odd goal here or there Kassian have the potential to be in the pressbox or on the bench.. i'm not against the trade.. but i'm just wondering why we make the trade now for a player that most likely won't be a factor in the playoff now instead of the off season

that's exactly the point though.. if we were planning to trade Cody.. why trade this year instead of in the off season? like u said.. Kassian is still a year behind in development and he'll NOT make any impact in the playoff.. Cody have the potential to score the odd goal here or there Kassian have the potential to be in the pressbox or on the bench.. i'm not against the trade.. but i'm just wondering why we make the trade now for a player that most likely won't be a factor in the playoff now instead of the off season

we will probably never know the real reason...gillis said that information would not come from him.....when asked if cody asked for a trade, he could have said no.....end of story, but he said no comment....there is some thoughts that cody's agent and father, pushed for a trade.....we'll never know.

He looks pretty disinterested in playing defense tonight.

Come to think of it, he was never really noticable unless he had the puck in wide-open situations.

A poor-man's Phil Kessel?

I just remember a lot of talk from the Moose on how Hodgson's defensive play was non-existent. Perhaps there was some truth to that.

However, if he trains hard again in the summer with Gary Roberts, he'll likely break out offensively next season.

Lord knows he'll get every shot in Buffalo. Even though they're desperate to make the playoffs at the moment, they're still giving a floater a ton of icetime while they're losing to TO.

Hopefully he gains a bit more speed so he can start to come closer to emulating Stamkos. Cheers.

TOML

Yes, another -2 performance, his line spent their share of time hemmed in his own end, and he looked gassed trying to backcheck on the last second goal to end the second period.

For all the comments about Kassian, like the rest of the team he has not been lighting it up. but he has been very responsible and has been making consistent, intelligent decisions.

Ironically, despite all the short-sighted criticism, I thought AV really used him in contexts which gave him the best chance for him to be successful. But when you are a rookie and have to step up to a larger role, you are going to get exposed at times. Last night against Pittsburgh, that was a hell of a difficult matchup for him, and agan tonight with Buffalo short on the blueline, it put more pressure on him to backcheck (and speed is not his forte), and help his defensemen out down low (where size and grit again are not his forte) - those situations don't play into his strengths, but that is part of playing 20 minutes and being counted on to be a go to second line center. But Lindy Ruff either trusts him or is forced to use him, and it's hard to doubt his coaching intelligence. I think people just get carried away forgetting that he is a rookie, perceiving that he is ready to be a player that is a consistent difference maker - he is a rookie who will have growing pains. There is nothing wrong with that but on the other hand, he was nothing resembling the key to the Canucks playoff hopes.

Kassian trade is looking really good right now. I watched the whole buffalo game and hodgson was ineffective and slow. Kassian has hands like Bert and he has the same consistency issues. But that will come with age, but when he's on he's better than hodgson, the total package.

Ironically, despite all the short-sighted criticism, I thought AV really used him in contexts which gave him the best chance for him to be successful. But when you are a rookie and have to step up to a larger role, you are going to get exposed at times. Last night against Pittsburgh, that was a hell of a difficult matchup for him, and agan tonight with Buffalo short on the blueline, it put more pressure on him to backcheck (and speed is not his forte), and help his defensemen out down low (where size and grit again are not his forte) - those situations don't play into his strengths, but that is part of playing 20 minutes and being counted on to be a go to second line center. But Lindy Ruff either trusts him or is forced to use him, and it's hard to doubt his coaching intelligence. I think people just get carried away forgetting that he is a rookie, perceiving that he is ready to be a player that is a consistent difference maker - he is a rookie who will have growing pains. There is nothing wrong with that but on the other hand, he was nothing resembling the key to the Canucks playoff hopes.

If Hodgson ever had a game in which he had no goals or no points (which there were quite a few games where he didn't get any) he was not really effective and almost invisible. Hodgson's a one dimensional player that If he doesn't produce offensively than he doesn't really contribute in any other way. Kassian will start to produce more offensively eventually, but in the mean time he can Hit hard, intimidate, fight, use his speed to push teams back, and be defensively responsible.

Unfortunately, all teams have to trade players at some point in order to address needs. You can't keep all the keepers....in order to get something of value you also need to give up something of value, in determining what those current needs are.

We needed a new dimension in the playoffs - skill, speed & finesse aren't enough....as we've experienced, you need toughness and a deterrent from having others taking shots at our top players. I like the way our line up has toughened up...we play with more of an edge now. The guys can stand their ground and aren't going to be pushed around and Zach will be part of that. We also don't need any more distractions on this team....Lord knows, we've had our share (between tragedies, personal issues and horrible injuries). If Cody's supporting staff were creating some distraction, then that wasn't good for the team...the focus has to be on unity and teamwork, not keeping track of who gets what in regard to ice time, etc. But it's all been said before and, for me anyhow, is completely a non issue. Moved on weeks ago and am excited about our "team", not what used to or could have been....

Archived