The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond Promoted To First Line With The Sedins

alt kilgore

Replacing one guy who can't stay on his feet with another. Bold move AV....

Just kidding, I bet Raymond has a multi point night if he plays with the Sedins. They clearly need a shakeup, and I like the idea of Burrows on the third line. Brings more offence to the third line, and allows Burrows to go up against weaker defence pairings.

heres an article about the move:

By Derek Jory

A print reporter new to the Canucks beat had an interesting question for Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault Tuesday.

Vigneault switched up his team’s first and third lines and shuffled defensive pairings during the one-hour practice and the reporter wondered if the moves might be permanent.

It wasn’t quite Vern Fiddler doing Kevin Bieksa’s angry face, but coach laughed it up nonetheless.

“This is your first year here, right” chuckled Vigneault. “I’m never permanent with anything, anybody that’s been here for a while can tell you that.”

The message here is clear: don’t read too much into Tuesday’s groupings that had Mason Raymond skating with Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Alex Burrows alongside Samuel Pahlsson and Jannik Hansen.

On defence Kevin Bieksa was with Alex Edler, Dan Hamhuis with Chris Tanev, Marc-Andre Gragnani with Sami Salo and Aaron Rome with Andrew Alberts.

The media grabbed the new combinations and ran with them, which is about as shocking as Bachelor Ben choosing crazy Courtney, but Vigneault said he hasn’t made any decisions about his line-up for Wednesday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes.

“We took a look at a couple of different scenarios, a couple of different possibilities and the coaches are going to meet later on today to discuss our next opponent Phoenix and see what we can come up with,” said Vigneault, adding that if he keeps Raymond with the twins, it changes the dynamic of the line.

“He would bring a little bit more speed, so it’s a possibility we’re going to discuss this afternoon, just like moving Alex with Jannik and Sammy, that’s another thing that we might consider here.”

Coach has been known to tip is hat one way or another in regards to his line-up, but he said things are truly up in the air for Wednesday.

dec1511_canes10_rr.jpg

The reason for the possible change Vigneault was more than happy to address, however.

“It’s pretty simple, we need our top players to play like our top players, we’re no different than the 29 other teams in the NHL, we’re a good team when our top players play the way they’re supposed to play. Right now, for whatever reason, we’ve got a couple of guys that are off their game and they need to find it for us to get back on track.”

Vigneault and his coaching staff took a hands off approach to getting back on track following a 4-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens Saturday, with the Canucks given Sunday and Monday off.

It was appreciated, said captain Henrik Sedin.

“It was really nice, I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen in a season, except maybe the Christmas break. It was really good for us as a team to get away from the rink and not maybe see you guys for a few days.”

The players got away in body and in mind as well, which was important for everyone.

“Physically, I think we’re fine, that’s not a problem, we’re used to playing a lot of games, it’s more mental. It was a good time for us, a couple of weeks before playoffs start, to just get away and get our minds off hockey a little bit.”

Burrows is also usually ahead of the Sedins going in so I don't see the difference there. But Burrows also has a better hockey sense, goes to the net, and stays on his feet.

I think the Sedins are talented enough to make any linemate look like a worldbeater (ie. Carter) if they want to. What I fear is that if this is the game that the Sedins decide to play better and pot a couple of goals and Raymond gets in on them, AV will puff his chest out, laugh at the press scrum, and decide he's a genuis and keep Raymond on the first....which will only eventually bring down the Sedin line as Raymond has done to every other line he has been on. And so it will mean that AV has wasted this window of time to experiment with more sane mixups going into the playoffs.

AV has lost his marbles

Sometimes it seems like he purposely does the OPPOSITE of what fans and hockey pundits think he should, just for spite.

Raymond with the Sedins and Burrows with Paulson and Hansen on the third line in practice today. Maybe AV is just trying to scare everyone including the team. If he actually believes Raymond either deserves the promotion or actually is a better fit than Burrows then he has officially lost his marbles.

I do agree that its a good time to experiment going into the playoffs. Try out different combinations just in case of injury or to give the other team a different look. Try Kassian on the first again, or Higgins. Split the Sedins. A lot of options out there but this is the one AV chooses? Put the softest, unstable, snake-bitten, confidence-shaken perimeter player and throw him on the top line. One that doesn't go to the net, or if he is forced to will not feel comfortable doing it. Raymond has dragged down every line he plays on. So happy they took him off the second line, Kesler's play immediately went up a notch.

I am getting sick of AV's "hunch" management style, along with his rose coloured glasses for certain players while others skate on thin ice where one mistake gets them in the doghouse and no player ever really ever leaves that wet dog smell behind even after they come out. Gillis knew Hodgson would never be accepted by AV no matter how well he did so he was another casualty.

edit: source 1040

The question will be whether Burrow's presence on the third line is more of a benefit than Raymond's presence on the 1st line will be a hindrance. Burr, Pahl, Hansen does look pretty good on paper.

1st line not getting anything done anyways, even in the games where they didn't look bad.

Also a line of Burrows with Pahl and Hansen might be a good line to send out following a powerplay.

Burrows is also usually ahead of the Sedins going in so I don't see the difference there. But Burrows also has a better hockey sense, goes to the net, and stays on his feet.

I think the Sedins are talented enough to make any linemate look like a worldbeater (ie. Carter) if they want to. What I fear is that if this is the game that the Sedins decide to play better and pot a couple of goals and Raymond gets in on them, AV will puff his chest out, laugh at the press scrum, and decide he's a genuis and keep Raymond on the first....which will only eventually bring down the Sedin line as Raymond has done to every other line he has been on. And so it will mean that AV has wasted this window of time to experiment with more sane mixups going into the playoffs.

He's trying different things if something clicks why not. If AV does use this line combination it will either work within the first period or he'll change things around. The fact is the Canucks can't finish worse than third, sure they haven't mathmatically eliminated Colorado, Calgary, and Minny, however they already have more points than any of those teams are likely to finish with, they also have a large enough lead on any team that can win the Pacific that they can afford to try everything. And why not find out how everyone plays together better now than in April.

Canuck fans should be the Coach. Really.

Some of you must know something that AV doesn't.

I'm personally happy AV did this, usually when the Sedins slump it isn't all their fault. It's the guy between them. Burrows has been disappointing me quite a bit, so has Raymond.

But this change could be a good one, and one to shake up a few players who are only thinking about the playoffs right now and not the regular season.

Archived