The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] GM David Poile believes Ryan Suter will test the market

GM David Poile stated that he believes Ryan Suter will indeed test the market when the free agency period opens:

NASHVILLE - If the Nashville Predators end up re-signing defenseman Ryan Suter, they will likely have to wait until July 1st to do so.

At Friday's press conference with local media, Predators GM David Poile stated that he believes Suter will indeed test the market when the free agency period opens in two weeks.

"As we're moving along, it appears that Ryan is going to go to July 1st and he's going to take a peek at free agency," Poile said. "It's his right; he's earned it."

Suter, 27, will be a hot commodity this off-season. Not many defensemen of his caliber have ever hit the open market before, and puck-moving defensemen are always valued at this time of year.

"We're going to be in consistent contact with him, and I'm certainly hoping, as he said to me a week ago, that he's not going to make a sudden decision and we're going to have some conversations

after he has talked to these different teams," Poile said.

With Suter likely testing the free agent waters, the general consensus is that Poile should deal his star defenseman's negotiating rights at next week's draft in Pittsburgh. Poile's loyalty to Suter, the GM says, will get in the way of that.

"We have been very loyal to Ryan. We are sticking with that," Poile said. "We have never tried to trade him or entertain any offers for him."

Poile hopes loyalty plays a factor into Suter's decision-making process as well. The Predators are the only organization Suter has ever known, and it's the most ideal fit for him for the future when you take everything into consideration.

"I don't know why he wouldn't want to play for the Predators. I don't know why he wouldn't want to be paired with Shea Weber for the rest of his career," Poile said. "I hope he's weighing all those factors before he makes his decision."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_agency/2012/06/15/poile_suter_free_agency/

GM David Poile stated that he believes Ryan Suter will indeed test the market when the free agency period opens:

"I don't know why he wouldn't want to play for the Predators.
I don't know why he wouldn't want to be paired with Shea Weber for the rest of his career,
" Poile said. "I hope he's weighing all those factors before he makes his decision."

http://www.sportsnet...er_free_agency/

Nashville could have easily signed him for 6 million and Weber for 7 long-term with the cap roof going up to 70 million. Poile has a lot of other players to sign, but keeping them all together was very do-able.

I still believe Suter is a bit overated and could easily become a bit of a dud. Playing with Weber would help anyone, but lets not forget he's got the 2nd best goalie in the world over the last 2 seasons backing him up, and Nashville have played a very tight checking defensive game for a long time.

If he came to Vancouver I have a feeling he would go the way of the Ballard and be exposed by our high-tempo offensive game.

The way Vancouver ships its players out of town...who would want to come here..They would rather play in a market where they can go about their everyday life without being bothered and still make their millions.

The way Lu is being scrutinized and criticized every moment of the day..who would want to come and live this?

The way Vancouver ships its players out of town...who would want to come here..They would rather play in a market where they can go about their everyday life without being bothered and still make their millions.

The way Lu is being scrutinized and criticized every moment of the day..who would want to come and live this?

"I don't know why he wouldn't want to play for the Predators. I don't know why he wouldn't want to be paired with Shea Weber for the rest of his career," Poile said. "I hope he's weighing all those factors before he makes his decision."

It's not even close to the same. The Wings have a fan base but they also compete with Lions, Tigers, Wolverines, Spartans and Pistons. They are below most of those teams on the interest list. The coverage isn't that intense and the fans are awesome. The Joe puts Rogers Arena to shame!

Archived