The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

What a finish!! Respect to the Als, that was a gutzy performance.

Is it just me or do we seriously miss Angus Reid? Snaps are all over the place and pass protection is obviously lacking. Still time to work it out, though.

Any updates on his injury status? Thr O-line and the offense in general look out of sync without him.

What a finish!! Respect to the Als, that was a gutzy performance.

Is it just me or do we seriously miss Angus Reid? Snaps are all over the place and pass protection is obviously lacking. Still time to work it out, though.

That's a great point about Angus.. the Centre position is expected to make calls on the line of scrimmage and determine blocking schemes... and he's seen everything in the book.

I still think Chapdelaine is the problem more than Lulay.. Travis is trying to make things happen when it's there and throwing the ball away when people are in his lap and noones open. Als D has a lot of speed to the sidelines so not a lot of room to scramble.. Chap needs to call plays to loosen up the D instead of letting his QB get hammered over and over.

Lulay probably wasn't at his best, although it was hard to tell with the Swiss cheese offensive line in front of him, but the play calling was the thing that had me shaking my head. Where were the adjustments ? The Als were overloading the line of scrimmage and that creates holes in the secondary. We should have been watching the receivers rip up the field on quick slant patterns but instead we got Harris running into a wall. To me this is mostly on Chapdelaine

I still think Chapdelaine is the problem more than Lulay.. Travis is trying to make things happen when it's there and throwing the ball away when people are in his lap and noones open. Als D has a lot of speed to the sidelines so not a lot of room to scramble.. Chap needs to call plays to loosen up the D instead of letting his QB get hammered over and over.

Lulay probably wasn't at his best, although it was hard to tell with the Swiss cheese offensive line in front of him, but the play calling was the thing that had me shaking my head. Where were the adjustments ? The Als were overloading the line of scrimmage and that creates holes in the secondary. We should have been watching the receivers rip up the field on quick slant patterns but instead we got Harris running into a wall. To me this is mostly on Chapdelaine

Agreed. It should have been obvious to JC that the Als' defensive strategy was to load up the line of scrimmage and send the house on three of every four downs.

So where were the quick slants? The screens? Draws? I certainly didn't see them.

What I saw was Travis taking a deep drop and throwing the ball away before the play had time to develop because someone was in his face. Instead of leaving Harris in to decide which one of the three untouched Als he was going to pick up, how about releasing him to the outside for a swing pass? I waited all night to see it, but to no avail.

All of that being said, the penultimate play of the game was inexcusable. There should have been at least one safety playing center field, since everyone in the stadium knew that the hail Mary was coming up.

The definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

Agreed. It should have been obvious to JC that the Als' defensive strategy was to load up the line of scrimmage and send the house on three of every four downs.

So where were the quick slants? The screens? Draws? I certainly didn't see them.

What I saw was Travis taking a deep drop and throwing the ball away before the play had time to develop because someone was in his face. Instead of leaving Harris in to decide which one of the three untouched Als he was going to pick up, how about releasing him to the outside for a swing pass? I waited all night to see it, but to no avail.

All of that being said, the penultimate play of the game was inexcusable. There should have been at least one safety playing center field, since everyone in the stadium knew that the hail Mary was coming up.

The definition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....

In all the years Chapdelaine has been here, quick slants and screens have never been part of his game plan. Since day one, he hasn't figured out how to beat the blitz. Dickenson's career ended so soon because of Chap. Jarious Jackson was also a punching bag back there. Some of our offensive woes do fall on Lulay this year, but Chap isn't helping him out there. Watching Montreal send 8 or 9 guys at the line every play was painful.

Can't really blame this one on the defense since they have really been the ones keeping all the games close. The offense has to win one for the team at some point. If there was something negative to point out in the defense it is JR Larose. He seems pretty clueless out there at safety. He still doesn't have an interception. Since Barron Miles, that position has been a revolving door.

Lions goin' for some redemption here.

2 and out...a couple of miscues to start. Come on boys. Lulay is lucky to draw a penalty on the horse-collar to start the 2nd series. But things aren't improving much. Too many dropped balls so far..,but stayin' tuned.

Edited by viking mama

Fingers crossed...Lulay is gettin' some medical assistance on the sidelines. Hopin' the Lions' medical staff is the "best of the best"....can't get this update soon enough!

Lions D coming-up with a very timely sack - tho.

Update: dude - got his non-throwing hand stepped on. Phewww....docs can probably deal with that.

Careful on those snaps.

Edited by viking mama