The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

monuments men: couldn't even finish it/10.

had no problem with the story, but something was seriously wrong with the editing or something. just seemed to move way too slowly. bad music. wanted to like it, but couldn't

monuments men: couldn't even finish it/10.

had no problem with the story, but something was seriously wrong with the editing or something. just seemed to move way too slowly. bad music. wanted to like it, but couldn't

I said this a few pages ago, but I didn't have a problem with the story/premise at the onset of watching it. It was while watching it that I really thought they were wasting everyone's time.

If you don't want to pin it down on the dialogue, or the acting, I would say that the movie was very poorly sequenced, if that makes any sense. It was spliced together in a way that was awkwardly paced. It jumps certain things, and then stalls during others. It focussed time on characters, without focussing on why it was they were there, or why the events of the movie made them care more.

I did not like this movie one bit, and waiting/forcing yourself to the end doesn't offer any satisfaction.

yeah, clooney really messed up on that one. i think Goodnight and Good Luck is a great little movie, and Ides of March was pretty good too. seems weird that he would drop the ball so dramatically on this one--which i think could have been a good story.

in other Clooney related news, though, he's just signed on to star in the newest Coen Bros movie titled "Hail Caesar!" with Josh Brolin.

which i am already super psyched for based on that news (and the title) alone

Mud.

McConaughey at his best and some top quality performances by the two young boys and supporting cast.

It's a film that looks to have been made on a really small budget but it's got a bit of everything, atmosphere, coming of age, romance, friendship (stand by me) betrayal and what really was the icing on the cake for me, a brilliant music score.

There is always a bit of deja vu about movies like this but despite that, it still managed a few surprises and like any successful small budget film it was the performances that really pulled you in and made you feel entertained. Not an average performance from any of the cast.

Well worth a watch.

yeah, clooney really messed up on that one. i think Goodnight and Good Luck is a great little movie, and Ides of March was pretty good too. seems weird that he would drop the ball so dramatically on this one--which i think could have been a good story.

in other Clooney related news, though, he's just signed on to star in the newest Coen Bros movie titled "Hail Caesar!" with Josh Brolin.

which i am already super psyched for based on that news (and the title) alone

Awesome - O Brother Where Art Thou is a personal fave of mine.

And I also second the Mud recommendation. Definitely the best movie of last year for me.

• Upvote 1

Enough Said - 6.5/10

Enjoyable, and quite different from your standard, generic rom-com. Middle-aged love interests who actually look middle-aged, including one that's fat? Shocking!

Good chemistry between the leads. The "daughter's friend" angle was a bit odd though.

22 Jump Street : 7/10

As funny as the first, if you were worried about rehashing jokes, or it not being as funny as number one.. Dont be, this was a very entertaining and funny movie. What I found awesome is that it is extremely self aware that it is a sequel. The conversation with Nick Offerman (dept Captain) about trying the same formula from the first time with a bigger budget because we're too lazy to come up with anything new was hilarious (Tatum's character even goes so far to say, "We could be secret service agents and protect the white house and president from a terrorist attack... That would be cool", there are also numerous references made to the "budget" and not being able to damage anything else due to budget constraints.

I enjoyed it, and the end credits scene was brilliant.

Edited by No_More_Larchide

Enough Said - 6.5/10

Enjoyable, and quite different from your standard, generic rom-com. Middle-aged love interests who actually look middle-aged, including one that's fat? Shocking!

Good chemistry between the leads. The "daughter's friend" angle was a bit odd though.

6.5? come on, i thought it was a really enjoyable little movie. one of my favourites of last year. way better than almost every rom com i've seen

oculus - 6/10. not bad, not particularly good. for a 90 minute movie, it sure did drag. had some good atmosphere at times, but overall wasn't super impressive. for a low budget indie-ish movie, its not a bad choice.

Godzilla: 8/10. Who knew it was filmed in Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo?

I like the 'attempt' at giving time to developing the characters, but I feel like that time was wasted as I didn't really care too much about the hero. Blew the 1998 version of Godzilla out of the water. Godzilla looked awesome and I liked the build up to his on-screen appearance.

Too much rah rah USA USA. I imagine those who are big Godzilla fans were annoyed by this.

I was annoyed by the fact that Bryan Cranston was in Japan driving a car with the steering wheel on the left-hand side.

22 Jump Street- 8.5/10

The movie was hilarious, but I thought 21 Jump Street was much better. I was not a fan of the villain or Schmidt's girlfriends roommate. The roommate specifically was very annoying and her old man jokes were just so lame. Channing Tatum was stellar and Ice Cube was hilarious, Cube had one fantastic scene. Jonah Hill was funny as usual, the movie overall was very funny but 21 Jump Street was funnier and had better characters.

Also the ending of 22 Jump Street was not even close to being as good as 21 Jump Street, the credit scenes were awesome for this movie though.

Edited by CanuckofSteel

Her - 9.5/10

Absolutely loved it. Joaquin Phoenix had to nail his role, and he killed it, just killed it. And I gotta say, as much as I do not like Scar Jo, she really put a lot into her voice role.

Only took points off because it was really difficult to end it, and Spike Jonze really couldn't find a decent way to end it. But based on the story, not really sure what else he could have done that wouldn't have been predictable.

• Upvote 1