The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Trumbo - 8/10

Bryan Cranston playing Dalton Trumbo, Hollywood screenwriter jailed and blacklisted for being a communist in the 50s.

Only real complaint was the personal life/family drama stuff bogging down the pace. But great acting with excellent dialogue. Probably the best one liners I've heard this year.

Personal favorite - Louis CK, playing one of Trumbo's fellow blacklisted writers, after the two are spurned by an old producer friend making a movie deal at a bar: "Look at him - he's trying to sell his soul, but he can't find it."

the walk: 7/10

this was a pretty interesting movie because it is so totally intense if you're easily freaked out over heights, yet it's not at all emotionally engaging. throughout the movie there are clips of Petit (actor, not really him) giving commentary about this or that, or how this or that "felt" or what it meant to him. at first i thought that was a lame trick for Zemeckis to pull, but then i sorta thought that without the Petit character talking about how much this event meant to him, and how it's his "art," then the movie wouldn't evoke ANY emotion at all.

the crew is just tossed together and there is no real reason to care about their involvement in anything. though there is a lot of talk about relationships and their coordination, this is pure Petit and his ego, so I think the little interludes of him talking about the experience kinda makes sense in the end. for the first hour, i was sorta rolling my eyes at the "this is art, this is art, this is my masterpiece!" dialogue, but by the end, i bought it.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Watched Inside Out yesterday with the boys and that has to be Pixar's best effort in YEARS. Great family flick 9/10

Totally agree. I keep thinking that maybe I don't like cartoons anymore because I'm a 33 year old man.

But then something like this comes out and then I remember, "Oh, no that's not it at all. They just barf out whatever crap looks good to 5 year olds, in the hopes that something like this might come along once every 10 tries."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Watched Inside Out yesterday with the boys and that has to be Pixar's best effort in YEARS. Great family flick 9/10

Yes that film is amazing! Pixar really knocked it out of the park. The way they're able to animate emotions (not the characters themselves, but the human reactions), it's on another level I've rarely seen in animation. My youngest quotes the movie constantly.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to post this but last month  I took my son to see the peanuts movie and it was great.  Entertaining, good storyline and pure.  Tbh I'm surprised it wasn't tampered with to suit "today's" standard of child humour which imo is sarcasm based, annoying and full of attitude.

im goin 10.

The season finale to Scream Queens was so absurdly stupid that I'm almost at a loss of words for it.  It had these vague "it was all a dream" undertones to it, but then it kind of confirmed it wasn't?

This was my favourite show of the fall season, and while it wasn't gripping drama or smart humour, I was typically laughing my ass off, and got invested into the mystery and its resolution. You can't really ruin a comedy with a bad finale, but I was hoping for so much better of a send off.

14 hours ago, riffraff said:

Forgot to post this but last month  I took my son to see the peanuts movie and it was great.  Entertaining, good storyline and pure.  Tbh I'm surprised it wasn't tampered with to suit "today's" standard of child humour which imo is sarcasm based, annoying and full of attitude.

im goin 10.

Was wondering about that one. Could be very good or very bad. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

The season finale to Scream Queens was so absurdly stupid that I'm almost at a loss of words for it.  It had these vague "it was all a dream" undertones to it, but then it kind of confirmed it wasn't?

This was my favourite show of the fall season, and while it wasn't gripping drama or smart humour, I was typically laughing my ass off, and got invested into the mystery and its resolution. You can't really ruin a comedy with a bad finale, but I was hoping for so much better of a send off.

This show looked insanely stupid.

52 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Saw a few previews that got me interested in some new movies.

Phoenix looks amazing. As does Spotlight. Also Room... ...I guess the one-word titles are in right now!

I haven't heard anything about Phoenix, but Spotlight is suppose to be phenomenal. As for Room, bring some kleenex.

golden globe list for best director is pretty interesting this year. sure would be something if Miller won. I haven't seen the others, and I'm sure I'll be pulling for Inarritu again, but part of me thinks it would be cool for Miller to win. Mad Max is essentially his life's work, and as somebody who generally doesn't like action movies _at all_, I sure loved Mad Max

Todd Haynes, "Carol"
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, "The Revenant"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Ridley Scott, "The Martian"

2 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

golden globe list for best director is pretty interesting this year. sure would be something if Miller won. I haven't seen the others, and I'm sure I'll be pulling for Inarritu again, but part of me thinks it would be cool for Miller to win. Mad Max is essentially his life's work, and as somebody who generally doesn't like action movies _at all_, I sure loved Mad Max

Todd Haynes, "Carol"
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, "The Revenant"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Ridley Scott, "The Martian"

While it would be something if Mad Max won, can't imagine they would give it to an action movie, no matter how good it is. And it is fantastic.

That said, even though The Revenant isn't out yet, I'm hoping that or The Martian takes it.

Also, hopefully this is the year Leo takes home an award. If not, I'm sure his millions of dollars will be a nice consolation prize.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Also, hopefully this is the year Leo takes home an award. If not, I'm sure his millions of dollars will be a nice consolation prize.

Don't forget the models and starlets that come along with that money and fame ;) 

4 hours ago, Monty said:

This show looked insanely stupid.

It was over the top stupid. That was the show's gimmick. 

It was a parody, and at first worked as some sort of ironic commentary. Though it seemed less funny and working towards some sort of point towards the end. And that last episode was bleh, like I said.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Of the movies nominated, I think I'll like Spotlight the best. That said, I think original screenplays should be given greater weight than adapted screenplays. Imagination is not given enough weight. 

I would agree on the adapted vs original front (Though I haven't seen spotlight.)  There seems to be a very heavy bias towards biopics in particular,  especially by the academy.