The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Was Crouching Tiger really that much better?

Loved that movie when it came out. Traffic, Memento, and Requiem For a Dream were also quite good.

My personal favourites from that year are O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Best in Show.

Edited by D-Money

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Loved that movie when it came out. Traffic and Requiem For a Dream were also quite good.

For some reason I never liked Traffic. Although, I haven’t seen it since it came out, which is what, 18 years now? Deserves another viewing probably.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

My personal favourites from that year are O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Best in Show.

:lol:  Same. I remember watching Best in Show in dorm my second year of university and howling. And since my wife and I are dog lovers (just got another puppy 3 days ago), we still watch this yearly. Holds up really well.

As for O Brother, big favourite as well. Watched it again last year and it’s a very underrated Coen Brothers film. The cinematography and lighting/colouring in the movie is excellent. Oh, and the soundtrack is on constant rotation in our house.

mother! - 5/10

Not entirely sure how to rate this movie, which is definitely one of the strangest movies I have ever seen, but I'll give it a 5. After watching it through, Aronofsky definitely had some cool ideas but wasn't able to execute it well. I'll give him credit, it was entertaining and Jennifer Lawrence was solid as a damsel in distress, but sorely it lacked everywhere else. This film was not what I was expecting and definitely has a couple of shocking (albeit ridiculous) scenes. It's worth checking out because of its sheer lunacy but I can see why people walked out on it in theatres. 

• Cheers 1

Logan - 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed that one. These kinds of movies work way better as genre films. It was darker, slower paced, and way more focused than others. Best super hero movie I've seen in the last couple of years, not that it was particularly outstanding or anything.

The brutal R rated nature helped a lot.

Finding Dory - 7.5/10

Better than I was expecting, because I wasn't expecting much of anything.  Which was probably my mistake to make with a Pixar movie. 

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Annihilation 9/10

Fantastic movie.   I liked it a lot more than Ex Machina.   I HIGHLY recommend sitting close to the front for this one.

Trailer looks kinda meh but I'll take it on your recommendation.

I enjoyed ex machina.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6556890/?ref_=nv_sr_1

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_and_harley_quinn

"Batman and Harley Quinn" (2017)

This animated feature is another example of how the DC universe does such a better job with their animated films rather than their live action product. There is so much more in the way of character development, violence (TV cartoon violence, but it can still pretty rough), sexuality and humour. There is so many funny moments in this film.

The low rankings of the reviews is perhaps due to folks wanting something closer to the live-action films (and perhaps the star power associated with them). I would place this on a level a lot closer to "Batman: Assault on Arkham" (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_assault_on_arkhamhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt3139086/?ref_=nv_sr_1).

The artwork on the first film was better.

regards,  G. 

Annihilation - 9/10

It is definitely one of those movies that you sit around with your friends analyzing for eons after you walk out of the theatre. But why, why does it ultimately have to be about...

Spoiler

marriage infidelity, and one's guilt over committing it.

I mean, why??? That part of the movie is what raises it above 'above-average', but it is also why I find it slightly disappointing that they didn't find a more worthy meaning to go after.

Some people complain about Hollywood being a liberal propaganda machine. This is a counter-example.

p05z1rsl.thumb.jpg.c403bd0600f446909d1de2eab695826d.jpg

Edited by Hugor Hill

21 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Annihilation - 9/10

It is definitely one of those movies that you sit around with your friends analyzing for eons after you walk out of the theatre. But why, why does it ultimately have to be about...

I mean, why??? That part of the movie is what raises it above 'above-average', but it is also why I find it slightly disappointing that they didn't find a more worthy meaning to go after.

Some people complain about Hollywood being a liberal propaganda machine. This is a counter-example.

p05z1rsl.thumb.jpg.c403bd0600f446909d1de2eab695826d.jpg

Funny, I really enjoyed that part of the plot.  The emotion and pain was very convincing for me as far as motivation goes.  District 9 and Moon had IMO similar elements, and usually I find the sci fit genre a tough fit for personal type stuff

55 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Funny, I really enjoyed that part of the plot.  The emotion and pain was very convincing for me as far as motivation goes.  District 9 and Moon had IMO similar elements, and usually I find the sci fit genre a tough fit for personal type stuff

Yeah it's not that the back story wasn't well done. It's the 'what' I have a problem with, not the 'how'. 

They have constructed a really amazing sci-fi concept, and a really great adventure for the character - I'm not sure if I'm saying this right - but, I'm thinking you want your theme to be about something greater than the tangibles, not something that I would personally consider as

Spoiler

common domestic issue.

29 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Very excited for Annihilation. Natalie Portman :wub:

Even hotter shooting a M4/M16. 

28 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

She hit it out of the ballpark imo.  Honestly I hope she gets an Oscar nomination 

Thought she was just “ok”. Thought everyone else in the movie did a better job in their respective roles than she did. She wasn’t awful, just didn’t think her performance was what held the movie together.