The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Stand By Me 8.5

more nostalgia - this one I don't think I'd watched since teenage years. Almost as good as remembered. It's still hard to see something that was a big part of childhood with fresh eyes, but some of the scenes are so naturally engrossing (I think). The bridge, barfarama!, leaches, Ace. Might be the theme of the movie but the biggest takeaway is being reminded the talent that was lost with River Phoenix. He's amazing in this.

also, uh, guess I'll go see if there's a midnight screening of night crawler at the theatre..

Stand By Me 8.5

more nostalgia - this one I don't think I'd watched since teenage years. Almost as good as remembered. It's still hard to see something that was a big part of childhood with fresh eyes, but some of the scenes are so naturally engrossing (I think). The bridge, barfarama!, leaches, Ace. Might be the theme of the movie but the biggest takeaway is being reminded the talent that was lost with River Phoenix. He's amazing in this.

also, uh, guess I'll go see if there's a midnight screening of night crawler at the theatre..

I wonder if they would've looked at him to be the new Indiana Jones, were he still alive today.

Stand By Me 8.5

i totally agree, that movie holds up extremely well for me too

TUSK: 5/10

this might be the worst movie I've ever seen, and by virtue of being so outrageously bad, it deserves a few points. and because I know Kevin Smith and co. were sort of making a "B movie" I refuse to give it a 0

I have never, ever been a Kevin Smith fan. I liked Dogma when I first saw it, that's about it. In fact, I think I could honestly say I really, really dislike Kevin Smith's entire attitude and style--and I mean his filmmaking style, not his XXXXL hockey jersey style, but that sucks too

anyway, Tusk is about Jason Long (ugh) being a Kevin Smith-grade piece of s___ who goes to Canada where people say aboot (ha ha?) and talk about hockey. there, he meets a mad scientist type character who literally turns him into a walrus. a fleshy mound of skin that looks vaguely like a walrus at least. the human centipede meets... the sea? I don't know how else to describe it...

that's pretty much all you need to know. supporting cast is Haley Joel Osment and Johnny Depp. maybe that's what you need to know as well.

first half is actually decent.. but then it dives head first into a one inch deep pool of camp

Edited by GLASSJAW

Interstellar - 9/10

A very impressive movie. I particularly liked how many of the plots points were actually somewhat feasible. I also like how they destroyed the common concept of stable time. Very intellectually stimulating.

completely agree with your review . I was fascinated by it .

I also watched an interview with physicist Neil Degrasse tyson who said that while there are a few Hollyoodisms , the science in the film was pretty spot on .

Kip Thorne ( An american theoretical physicist ) was one of the executive producers and helped to make sure that the plot was legitimate ..

9.5 / 10

probably my favourite film of the year

I'd give Nightcrawler an 8.5, maybe a 9. The style and pacing was a little inconsistent, but the story, characters, acting, moral questions - all right up my alley. It's kind of a demented rom com. Part of me wanted more backstory on the main character, but it works not really knowing who this guy is and how he's come to be in his situation when we meet him. Just a hyper intelligent cockroach scurrying around the cracks in the system.

Also, where the hell has Rene Russo been. Can't remember seeing her in anything since the Lethal Weapon movies. She's perfectly subtle here against Gyllenhaal's madness. Their scene in the mexican restaurant was probably my favorite.

I wonder if they would've looked at him to be the new Indiana Jones, were he still alive today.

oh yeah! forgot he was in Last Crusade. maybe I blocked it out because of the part where he falls into the bin of snakes - that's the only movie scene I remember giving me legitimate nightmares as a kid, and I grew up watching horror.

Also, where the hell has Rene Russo been. Can't remember seeing her in anything since the Lethal Weapon movies. She's perfectly subtle here against Gyllenhaal's madness. Their scene in the mexican restaurant was probably my favorite.

I certainly remember her from The Thomas Crown Affair...

But I looked on IMDB, and noticed she did absolutely nothing from 2005-2011, and only a few small parts since. But she just turned 60 this year (holy crap!), so why not take it easy?

Edited by D-Money

I certainly remember her from The Thomas Crown Affair...

But I looked on IMDB, and noticed she did absolutely nothing from 2005-2011, and only a few small parts since. But she just turned 60 this year (holy crap!), so why not take it easy?

If I recall she was ~48 in TCA and I still would have shagged the living daylights out of her.

nightcrawler: 7-7.5/10

wanted to love it, but i just don't

Bookie mentioned that it's stylistically inconsistent and i totally agree, especially with the outrageously awful soundtrack

thought the acting was good, the story wastoo, but there was just something missing for me. i did not care _at all_ about what happened. literally had one emotion through the entire thing: "jake's char sure is creepy" and that's pretty much it

to me it seemed like the far superior LA movies Drive and Collateral tossed into a blender with an 80s Cronenberg movie, like Videodrome. the result is some essay material about violence and irony, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before

if it weren't for the product placement i'd never have guessed this was meant to be present day

but i did think it was enjoyable for the most part, had some really good shots (a few cheesy ones too, with the cars). but ya i liked it. just not as good as i'd hoped