The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

nightcrawler: 7-7.5/10

wanted to love it, but i just don't

Bookie mentioned that it's stylistically inconsistent and i totally agree, especially with the outrageously awful soundtrack

thought the acting was good, the story wastoo, but there was just something missing for me. i did not care _at all_ about what happened. literally had one emotion through the entire thing: "jake's char sure is creepy" and that's pretty much it

to me it seemed like the far superior LA movies Drive and Collateral tossed into a blender with an 80s Cronenberg movie, like Videodrome. the result is some essay material about violence and irony, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before

if it weren't for the product placement i'd never have guessed this was meant to be present day

but i did think it was enjoyable for the most part, had some really good shots (a few cheesy ones too, with the cars). but ya i liked it. just not as good as i'd hoped

That kind of sums up every "good" Jake Gyllenhaal movie for me (Zodiac, Source Code, End of Watch, Prisoners). Always seems like there is something missing.

That kind of sums up every "good" Jake Gyllenhaal movie for me (Zodiac, Source Code, End of Watch, Prisoners). Always seems like there is something missing.

Really? While I'm neither here nor there on Gyllenhaal, I didn't think anything was missing from Zodiac, Prisoners, or End of Watch. While I really enjoyed Source Code, I did get the sense there.

However, that feeling of "something missing" is the case with a lot of movies.

Except Man of Steel.

True Detective's Cary Fukunaga Will Shoot Stephen King’s It Next Summer

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/fukunaga-to-shoot-stephen-kings-it-next-summer.html?mid=twitter_vulture

one of my all-time fav books, (hopefully) finally getting a proper adaptation

should be a mini series on hbo, amc or fx... even splitting it into two movies won't do the book any justice.

besides, it will be very difficult to surpass Tim Curry's performance. he was amazing

Edited by infinitecarnage

Just watched Nightcrawler last night

Wasn't bad but didn't exactly live up to the hype. Ending was pretty meh

Question though

At the end when the bad guy's car flips and Rick gets shot, why didn't he shoot Lou as well? He looked right at him, turned around and walked right towards the cops

The One I Love

7-7.5/10

Can't say anything about the movie as it would kind of ruin it, so here is the trailer:

Found out afterwards that Elisabeth Moss is a Scientologist. :sick:

Will be watching this within the next week or so.

The One I Love

7-7.5/10

Can't say anything about the movie as it would kind of ruin it, so here is the trailer:

Found out afterwards that Elisabeth Moss is a Scientologist. :sick:

honestly, the trailer is probably better than the movie. i think i said the same, like 7/10ish. but i remember being really sorta... idk, not disturbed by it, but i did find it kind of unsettling in a way

honestly, the trailer is probably better than the movie. i think i said the same, like 7/10ish. but i remember being really sorta... idk, not disturbed by it, but i did find it kind of unsettling in a way

Disclaimer: If you haven't seen the movie but are in any way interested and think it is possible you will watch it, do not read my spoilers.

At the end of the movie I felt like the director really didn't know how the guest house got there, how Ethan 'B' and Sophie 'B' got there, who they were originally, etc. Sophie 'B' felt very Stepford Wife-ish and robotic/alien, whereas Ethan 'B' felt more human. It thus felt like the director was caught between deciding whether these were 'aliens' from another dimension (i.e., Sophie 'B'), or a real couple trying to leave the guest house (i.e., Ethan 'B'). In the end, it was the latter, but the progression of the story didn't really seem to take you to this conclusion.

Oculus - 2/10

Started off strong(ish) and got progressively worse. The worst thing a film can do is be predictable, and this film had it in spades.

Should you take time to watch it, be prepared that your guess as to what is going to happen is the blatantly obvious. You wouldn't think in a million years a writer would follow through on this, and yet it happens throughout.

Edited by Monty

The One I Love: 7/10

I just had to check out this film because I was dying to know what had been written in the spoiler tags. Whoever called that a RomCom....what!? I laughed one time (the line about ecstasy) and was mostly disturbed or on edge the rest of the time. I would've labeled it more of a thriller. I felt like I've been tainted by all of the horror movies I've seen in my time, because I always felt like something horrible was going to happen (ie. violence or death). The creepy music kept creating moments of suspense that I felt were going to escalate. I can't say what I felt while watching that movie was enjoyable or comfortable but the fact that the movie made me feel so much uneasiness means it must've done a pretty good job. One thing I didn't get was:

when Sophie B explains to Ethan A what's going on. She said something along the lines of "we're supposed to drive you apart". I don't understand how that would allow for couple B to finally escape and pass the torch on to couple A? Maybe I just don't remember what she said accurately...

. My biggest complaint about the movie is:

there were too many things that were just too supernatural for it to turn out to just be two other humans impersonating them. Like the house being spotless after Ethan A loses his mind about Sophie B cooking him bacon for breakfast, etc.

Anyways, worth the watch even if it's just so you know what happens.

Edited by I'm Your Huckleberry

The One I Love: 7/10

I just had to check out this film because I was dying to know what had been written in the spoiler tags. Whoever called that a RomCom....what!? I laughed one time (the line about ecstasy) and was mostly disturbed or on edge the rest of the time. I would've labeled it more of a thriller. I felt like I've been tainted by all of the horror movies I've seen in my time, because I always felt like something horrible was going to happen (ie. violence or death). The creepy music kept creating moments of suspense that I felt were going to escalate. I can't say what I felt while watching that movie was enjoyable or comfortable but the fact that the movie made me feel so much uneasiness means it must've done a pretty good job. One thing I didn't get was:

when Sophie B explains to Ethan A what's going on. She said something along the lines of "we're supposed to drive you apart". I don't understand how that would allow for couple B to finally escape and pass the torch on to couple A? Maybe I just don't remember what she said accurately...

. My biggest complaint about the movie is:

there were too many things that were just too supernatural for it to turn out to just be two other humans impersonating them. Like the house being spotless after Ethan A loses his mind about Sophie B cooking him bacon for breakfast, etc.

Anyways, worth the watch even if it's just so you know what happens.

The comment you made in your second spoiler was exactly how I felt.

Somm - 6/10

Documentary on Netflix about a bunch of guys trying to pass the test to become master sommeliers. It was interesting learning about how difficult the test is (less than 200 people have passed it, worldwide), the history of it, etc. A couple of the main characters were kind of grating after a while, but all in all worth watching.

Boogie Nights 8.5

Wanted to rewatch some Paul Thomas, got like 20 min in and realized I never actually saw this. Not that I remember anyway, just a few of the scenes from youtube (pool party, Alfred Molina running around in a speedo with a shotgun), but it's damn good. Ending was a little rushed and happily-ever-after.

Nice to be reminded PTA can be really really funny when he wants to. I'm so pumped for INherent Vice. Maybe Punch Drunk Love next. I know I watched that but only once when it came out and I don't remember much from it.

I really liked Punch Drunk Love when I first saw it, but I remember seeing it a couple times since then and thinking it was just alright.

Inherent Vice is at 72% on RT right now, with some really mixed-sounding reviews. Both positive and negative tidbits I've read seem to agree its almost entirely incoherent, haha. but oh well, a little incoherence doesn't hurt anyone from time to time

Sharknado 2 - 6/10

While I absolutely hated the first one, even on a purely "It's so bad it's good" rating scale. This one, however, was actually a lot of dumb fun. Wife and I had a lot of fun pointing out the absurdity of what was going on.

"We're reporting that we'll see roughly 2 inches of sharkfall (rainfall) in the next hour." 2 inches of shark is like the bottom 2 inches of a shark's body.