The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

In no particular order:

1. Boogie Nights - great in his small role

2. The Big Lebowski - everyone steals scenes in that film, but PSH is so good with his uncomfortable laughing

3. Magnolia - Of all the powerhouse performances in this ensemble cast, Hoffman is by far the strongest

4. Punch Drunk Love - The only film where Adam Sandler is tolerable. Hoffman is phenomenal, as usual.

5. Red Dragon - Very underrated film. Hoffman is largely ignored, but worth watching anyway, especially due to Ralph Fiennes' performance.

6. 25th Hour - I only like 2 Spike Lee movies. Not surprisingly, he didn't write either of them.

7. Cold Mountain - I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. Hoffman's role is secondary and largely forgettable.

8. Charlie Wilson's War - I need to watch this again, because all I remember was how terrific Hoffman was.

9. The Savages - Haven't seen it, but heard it was really good.

10. Doubt - I'd say it's worth watching. I liked it, but I don't think I'd watch it again.

11.The Master - Ridiculously underrated.

I didn't like The Talented Mr. Ripley, so I personally wouldn't recommend it. As for a "fluff" film, he was really good in Mission Impossible 3, although the movie was "meh", at best. Haven't seen A Most Wanted Man yet, but that is on my list to see.

DO NOT WATCH "Synecdoche, New York." I love PSH and Catherine Keener, but this film is 2 hours of Charlie Kaufman patting his back as he sucks his own d*ck. The most pretentious garbage I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

This is the first movie I watched of PSH with a clear sober mind. I highly recommend it, if not for his performance then just the weight of the film itself. Impeccable, to be honest. Think European Homeland with no Claire Danes.

ya fury leaked. some Sony email thing was hacked or something, so i think 4 or 5 movies leaked. none that interest me except Fury and Mr Turner (if you're into period pieces about artists?)

and

i tried to make a list of PSH movies, but after looking at IMDB, he's been in literally a whole bunch of my favourites. strange. honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with these ones. maybe you won't enjoy them, but they are certainly interesting.

punch drunk love

synecdoche, new york

happiness

the master

capote

almost famous (small role)

big lebowski (small role)

boogie nights

nobody's fool (don't remember role, but when i was young i really enjoyed this for some reason. probably just seems like a typical 'bitter old man' movie now)

ides of march (small role, i think)

moneyball

bolded ones are my favs that he plays a lead in. also thought Joaquin Phoenix kills it in The Master. totally underappreciated, IMO

i never saw the savages, pirate radio, or doubt. but i want to

actually, idr if PSH plays lead in the master, but its good anyway

He had a very small role in Ides of March, I honestly don't remember him being in it at all... anyway, thanks for these lists guys. I am going to rewatch Capote, and then go on to the Master, then I am going to check out the plot summaries of the other ones mentioned here.

I am going to watch Synecdoche, NY just to have an opinion on it. I feel like it's the cool thing to do.

the more i think about this movie the more i think maybe it's actually kind of bad. for those of you who have seen it...

what's even the point of the movie? it's obviously a ready-made plot. we already know who wins. we already know about valor. we already know about the enemy.. so where's the drama? i enjoyed the tension in the dinner table sequence, but even that just seems like an inverted sequence or two from Inglorious Basterds

we already know the character tropes/types: the new guy, the religious guy, the idiot hillbilly, the strong leader. but what's he even leading?

pitt says the tank is his 'home,' but why? why not just go hide in the bushes for an hour and wait for the germans to pass? there is literally no reason for them to try to stay and defend it. none at all, other than to fulfil the whole "last stand" trope. but the last stand holds absolutely no relevance to the story at all. the conclusion of the plot does not rely on the tank being fixed or rebuilt or even held.

the movie is leading up to that one final battle, but the one final battle could have easily been avoided, and we know by the conclusion that had they simply hid or ran away for a few hours, they would have been saved. so... what's the point?

what's the point in telling a fictionalized story about world war 2 in 2014 if that story does not go beyond the tropes and paint by numbers story we've seen so many times before?

Yo I just downloaded it. Now you're telling me it's bad?

the more i think about this movie the more i think maybe it's actually kind of bad. for those of you who have seen it...

what's even the point of the movie? it's obviously a ready-made plot. we already know who wins. we already know about valor. we already know about the enemy.. so where's the drama? i enjoyed the tension in the dinner table sequence, but even that just seems like an inverted sequence or two from Inglorious Basterds

we already know the character tropes/types: the new guy, the religious guy, the idiot hillbilly, the strong leader. but what's he even leading?

pitt says the tank is his 'home,' but why? why not just go hide in the bushes for an hour and wait for the germans to pass? there is literally no reason for them to try to stay and defend it. none at all, other than to fulfil the whole "last stand" trope. but the last stand holds absolutely no relevance to the story at all. the conclusion of the plot does not rely on the tank being fixed or rebuilt or even held.

the movie is leading up to that one final battle, but the one final battle could have easily been avoided, and we know by the conclusion that had they simply hid or ran away for a few hours, they would have been saved. so... what's the point?

what's the point in telling a fictionalized story about world war 2 in 2014 if that story does not go beyond the tropes and paint by numbers story we've seen so many times before?

I agree with this. Everything you said, but the specific note about how it doesn't hold up after even thinking briefly about it. I also gave it a 7/10 in this thread, but then i thought, would I even recommend this to anyone? Everything is on the surface, and the lack of motivation and real logic in things is pretty obvious.

What I did do was call it cheap earlier, and that I can stand more strongly behind now.

I agree with this. Everything you said, but the specific note about how it doesn't hold up after even thinking briefly about it. I also gave it a 7/10 in this thread, but then i thought, would I even recommend this to anyone? Everything is on the surface, and the lack of motivation and real logic in things is pretty obvious.

What I did do was call it cheap earlier, and that I can stand more strongly behind now.

ya, kind of a weird movie. i really liked some bits, like when pitt was trying to force the kid to shoot that german. and the dinner scene was fairly tense. but... idk. i thought the last section was hilarious when Pitt's silhouette was on the 50cal gun and the germans were in the foreground running by. i just thought... why doesn't one of them just turn slightly to the right and shoot him as he points his gun in the other direction?

i guess that's my problem with most action movies. so much of the drama could be solved with a tiny bit of grizzly initiative

i think giving it a 7 is really generous from me, and it's generous because i like pitt and i like ww2 genre movies. the period does interest me.

just seems like if you're going to make a movie bout ww2, aren't there more REAL, ACTUAL stories that are interesting to tell?

ya i rec'd night and fog on here a few pages ago, but i haven't seen it for years. i remember finding it quite disturbing

Memories of the Camps was actually one of Hitchcock's earliest works of putting footage/script together after the British troops liberated Bergen-Belsen. Didn't get released until much later on PBS. Follows in the same vein as Night and Fog but with a little more Allied bravado instead of poetic narration.

Watched the new Hunger Games today, got to admit, it was pretty awful.

The whole film i was just waiting for the "fun" parts to happen, but the entire movie you're just waiting and waiting until it eventually ends.. Such a boring movie.

I know the movie tried to focus on the political aspect of the districts and all that, but come on, they could've made it less of a snooze fest.

Edited by Senpai

mr turner: 7/10

this is a pretty long (2:40:00 i think?) movie about william turner, the british painter from the 1800s. the movie has three modes: aristocrats speaking blithely about art, artists grunting to each other or to the aristocrats, and the grunting artists looking at vistas

extremely difficult to sit through. woulda worked better as a BBC miniseries or something, not a feature length film. but still rewarding in the end

nothing i'd recommend to anyone who isn't deeply interested in the period

Edited by GLASSJAW

I can't believe you guys ran down long lists of PSH movies worth seeing, and no one mentioned Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

I also enjoyed Owning Mahoney. His performance in both is outstanding - kind of similar characters too (leading double lives).

I can't believe you guys ran down long lists of PSH movies worth seeing, and no one mentioned Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

I also enjoyed Owning Mahoney. His performance in both is outstanding - kind of similar characters too (leading double lives).

IMO Twister.

I enjoyed it, although I am likely biased due to my love of the violin.

I also really enjoyed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Not his best film/role but still imminently watchable and a solid cast/performances throughout. Walken in particular gave a very nuanced performance if I recall.

And yes, also good if you're a fan of classical music/the violin.

If I recall, my only reservation on the film was that given the acting talent available and the subject matter, it could (and IMO should) have been grittier and more visceral.

Edited by J.R.