The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Birdman - 7.5/10

Terrific acting, well written, and superbly shot. Definitely not the best movie I've seen in my life, hence the 7.5, and I probably wouldn't watch it again. That said, it was really well done. Kudos to Keaton.

Anchorman 2 - 5/10

I laughed more than it deserved to be laughed at. But it was sporadic. I have a hard time believing that they shot all that content, and that these were the best moments they could dredge up. If it was almost a whole second movie's worth of content as they say, God would that movie have sucked.

What was with that defending of journalistic integrity from Ron's team? Was a massive stretch to just point out that Rupert Murdoch is full of $&!#. If someone watching this didn't get what you were trying to say beforehand, it would certainly have still gone over their heads after.

citizenfour - 9/10

Best horror movie of the year? Guaranteed to make you feel terrified, paranoid and helpless. Oughta be shown in schools.

if it wins best documentary I wonder if she'll do the acceptance speech over skype

there's a good example of why doc's are hard to rate on the same scale as fiction - the 3rd act kind of grinds to a halt. Normally that would be a fault, but here it's a real byproduct of what they did releasing everything. They're scattered around the world (Brazil, UK, Germany, Russia) and can't travel, can barely communicate.

Edited by The Bookie

the imitation game: 7.5-8ish

liked it a lot more than i thought i would. but the problem with a movie like this, for me, is that i can't really tell if i'm rating the movie or the story. i mean, the story and the man's life = 10/10, about as fascinating as you can get. but the movie itself wasn't exactly exceptionally 'artful' or anything, so, i don't really know? not sure it's something i'd ever watch again, but it's a lot better than most of the biopics that have flooded the movies for the last 2 or 3 years

that said, i did think the music was quite nice (especially in the first half), and the bug faced lead was strong as well.

Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap - 8/10

another great documentary if you are into this sort of thing...Ice T. interviews a lot of the greats from hip hop and takes us inside the minds of what goes into the craft of making rap music and its history.

available on Netflix Canada.

Capote: 7.5/10

After offering my ever-unpopular opinion about Edward Scissorhands, I'll offer up another one. I'm not a big PSH fan. I thought Capote was a fine film, but not one I'd ever re-watch. I think Hoffman got too much credit for his portrayal of Capote. He spoke in an effeminate voice and everyone lost their mind. Tons of actors could have pulled that off, IMO. Its like giving credit to McConaughey for losing weight in Dallas Buyers Club. I thought he was phenomenl in that movie, but too much was made out of him doing something that a lot of people could have done with a little will power and a million dollar offer. I thought that when it came down to it, Hoffman lacked emotional depth in his portrayal.

After offering my ever-unpopular opinion about Edward Scissorhands, I'll offer up another one. I'm not a big PSH fan. I thought Capote was a fine film, but not one I'd ever re-watch. I think Hoffman got too much credit for his portrayal of Capote. He spoke in an effeminate voice and everyone lost their mind. Tons of actors could have pulled that off, IMO. Its like giving credit to McConaughey for losing weight in Dallas Buyers Club. I thought he was phenomenl in that movie, but too much was made out of him doing something that a lot of people could have done with a little will power and a million dollar offer. I thought that when it came down to it, Hoffman lacked emotional depth in his portrayal.

Having watched Capote since the initial viewing (around 2005 I believe). I remember really enjoying it. I haven't watched it since, and I own the movie. But I would agree that I don't think I'd rewatch it. That said, from what I remember, I would still give it a 8.5/10 (at least).

That said, after I just typed "2005", I realized that is not 10 years ago. My how time flies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Wick - 8/10

Yes, I know. First off, I'm rating this based on the genre that it is in. For an action film, this really had a lot more going for it than the typical revenge film (i.e. Taken, Jason Statham films, etc).

Now, Keanu Reeves continues his wooden performance streak as the titular character; however, it fits for who he is portraying. Every actor held his/her own quite well, particularly Theon Greyjoy.

Not sure if people know what initially sets Wick off, but I'm pretty sure the trailers hinted something happening with his puppy. Well, my wife and I owned two dogs, a French Bulldog and a Boston Terrier (picture below). Our Boston Terrier passed away on December 30th at the age of 10, and the wife and I are still having a difficult time getting over it (we don't have kids yet). So, if you have a heart for dogs, the opening 15 minutes might be difficult to get through. My wife left, breaking down into tears as it hit too close to home.

Here's my dog. Miss you pal :(

10497265_10152965316192037_9124703532399

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 1

Watched Marvel's Avengers again this weekend and in the theatre we saw the extra scene, after the credits, with Thanos, but now there is an additional scene of the Avengers sitting in a restaurant, chowing down after the big battle, no one says a word, anyway it is absolutely hilarious, hadn't seen it before.

did you feel the same way about Foxcatcher? Or Moneyball? this is just Bennett Miller's style, I think. he's only told true stories so far, and he tells them with a weird, clinical, emotional detachment (and adds in a dreariness). a lot of people find it boring and unengaging, i think

its obviously just personal preference, but i loved the performance. i like the style, i like Miller's approach, especially in comparison to, for example, a Daniel Day Lewis performance, where he just whinces, screams, and scowls through every role, making everything over the top emotional

Edited by GLASSJAW

did you feel the same way about Foxcatcher? Or Moneyball? this is just Bennett Miller's style, I think. he's only told true stories so far, and he tells them with a weird, clinical, emotional detachment (and adds in a dreariness). a lot of people find it boring and unengaging, i think

its obviously just personal preference, but i loved the performance. i like the style, i like Miller's approach, especially in comparison to, for example, a Daniel Day Lewis performance, where he just whinces, screams, and scowls through every role, making everything over the top emotional

While there may have been a "scream" or two in My Left Foot, DDL performance was far from what described. I think the roles that DDL chooses call for an actor who can really only do what he does. By that I mean only a select few actors would be able to pull off Christy Brown, Bill the Butcher, Daniel Plainview, and Abraham Lincoln.

I'm sure he can play roles that call for less intense portrayals; but from what I have read and heard about him, those roles, while nothing to sneeze at, probably would not be too challenging for him.

Hey now! Them's fighting words! :angry:

Have you watched Lincoln?

Been a while, will list some I've seen in last couple months:

Gone Girl - 6.5/10

Thought the ending was unbelievable, had issues with the cops believing her outrageous story and the husband's final decision.

Divergent - 6.5/10

Very similar to Hungar Games. Seemed a bit less violent.

The Interview - 6/10

A stupid comedy scattered with a couple good laughs. Not a big fan of Rogen/Franco, wanted to see why that nut bar in N Korea was so upset.

Hercules - 7/10

I love action and seeing the Rock kick butt. There were some parts full of ridiculousness but was still good.

Let's Be Cops - 8/10

This was very funny and original. I belly laughed more than once and that is all I need to say.

Gone Girl - 6.5/10

Thought the ending was unbelievable, had issues with the cops believing her outrageous story and the husband's final decision.

I thought the ending was handled incredibly well, to be honest. The husband's final decision:

To stay with his wife made sense on every level. For starters, he couldn't leave her away, or else he would be the guy who left his wife because she was "reportedly kidnapped and raped". Then he's the bad guy. Second, he couldn't wait to leave her anymore, because now she turns out to be pregnant. If he then leaves her because he believes the child is not his, she can then publicly claim that the child was as a result of the rape, and her husband won't support her through this. He was in a no-win scenario. He leaves, he's the bad guy who, like the guy he ran into earlier in the film (rape claim), can never move on with his life.

Edited by Monty

For Foxcatcher and Moneyball, that's how I believed the characters to be. On the other hand, Capote was known as social, talkative, flamboyant, and we saw that during parts of the movie where he was interacting with friends, being funny and charming. However, it seemed odd to me that his emotional turmoil regarding his decision to help/not help the defendants was less overt given other aspects of his personality.

For me, less is more. That's why I loved Boyhood and fell asleep the first times I watched Guardians. But, when I see a character who I expect to have a lot of emotion not show much emotion, I can't get over the disconnect.

In Foxcatcher, for example, the beneath-the-surface emotion was brilliant. You could feel the characters tension without seeing obvious signs of it, and that's kind of what I'd expect from those characters. I expected to see more from Capote, but oh well.

• Upvote 1

I thought the ending was handled incredibly well, to be honest. The husband's final decision:

To stay with his wife made sense on every level. For starters, he couldn't leave her away, or else he would be the guy who left his wife because she was "reportedly kidnapped and raped". Then he's the bad guy. Second, he couldn't wait to leave her anymore, because now she turns out to be pregnant. If he then leaves her because he believes the child is not his, she can then publicly claim that the child was as a result of the rape, and her husband won't support her through this. He was in a no-win scenario. He leaves, he's the bad guy who, like the guy he ran into earlier in the film (rape claim), can never move on with his life.

No two people in the world deserve each other more than them.