The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

bill murray stories - 3/10. the entire movie could be summarized in a 2 minute clip they play from Murray himself - instead, they drag it out just over an hour where fratboys and other bland people talk about thinly veiled celebrity worship

best of enemies (2015) - 9/10. doc about William F Buckley Jr and Gore Vidal's debates on national tv. seriously engaging movie. funny, thought provoking, super relevant to our time. already feel like watching it again, tbh

Edited by GLASSJAW

Velvet Buzzsaw 8/10

Solid performances across the board anchor a ghost story/slasher flick. The best part is everyone who dies is a character most would love to see dead.

The Catcher Was A Spy 6.5/10

Paul Rudd does a good job proving he can do (slightly) more than just make you laugh. Some mild pacing issues, and its certainly not the most thrilling of spy/war flicks. It's not bad, it's not great, it just is.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - 7/10

The Netflix one. Solid documentary about something I had limited knowledge of. I mean...I was pretty sure that Ja Rule was a moron, but didn't have actual evidence until now.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened - 7/10

The Netflix one. Solid documentary about something I had limited knowledge of. I mean...I was pretty sure that Ja Rule was a moron, but didn't have actual evidence until now.

Ja Rule: “It’s not fraud. It’s false advertisement!”

:lol: 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Also, my favourite reaction to the documentary was a woman on twitter:

“I watched both documentaries about the Fyre Festival and the smartest person I’ve seen is the pilot that learned how to fly with the Microsoft Flight Simulator.”

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

Also, my favourite reaction to the documentary was a woman on twitter:

“I watched both documentaries about the Fyre Festival and the smartest person I’ve seen is the pilot that learned how to fly with the Microsoft Flight Simulator.”

He actually seemed like a pretty smart guy. I loved the part where...

Spoiler

The pilot guy was actually mapping out the sewage system for the island, and then Billy spilled his beer on it.

...I'm guessing he learned that from SimCity?

Edited by D-Money
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Nocturnal Animals

I liked it quite a bit.

And not just because Amy Adams

Spoiler

the point of the movie was too show how much of a great writer he had become, but am i the only who thought if that was a book i wouldn't buy it........ I mean it was a little emotional for her but i just had a blah feeling. 

I didn't pick up on the little things, like the replicated green car (i believe), the positions of the bodies, the red sofa the first time i watched it, so hats off to tom ford for that. 

sometimes these big award winning films i feel really let me down....

Edited by Mango3

1 hour ago, Monty said:

It was such a terrific eff up.  

When I was watching it, it reminded me so much of the Islanders in the late 90s with their own fraud “owner”, John Spano.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Spano

The 30 For 30 on him is obviously preferable, but the Wiki link explains everything.

Best part of that Wiki article:

Potvin later said that Spano had almost no staff, which was unusual for a multimillionaire.

• Haha 2

Overlord

Tasteful WWII movie about Nazi zombies.

Also, it’s nice to know that the world definitely has a young Kurt Russell who, when it’s time to remake any Kurt Russell film, he can step right in. And it’s his son, Wyatt Russell. Here, he plays a young Kurt Russell :lol:

76C89E09-A011-4F46-90C5-93B12A4739A6.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Overlord

Tasteful WWII movie about Nazi zombies.

Also, it’s nice to know that the world definitely has a young Kurt Russell who, when it’s time to remake any Kurt Russell film, he can step right in. And it’s his son, Wyatt Russell. Here, he plays a young Kurt Russell :lol:

76C89E09-A011-4F46-90C5-93B12A4739A6.jpeg

It was supposed to be another cloverfield movie at one point.

4 minutes ago, Violator said:

It was supposed to be another cloverfield movie at one point.

I heard that as well. Much like The Cloverfield Paradox and 10 Cloverfield Lane. Finals scripts written with no intention for them to be in the Cloverfield universe, but in order to sell them to the public, they slapped the name on it.

In 10 Cloverfield Lane’s case, they just extended the ending 10 minutes and slapped it on the mailbox. A great movie that didn’t need it to be apart of the universe.

But The Cloverfield Paradox was much, much worse. Just some voice over from mission control saying “Cloverfield something or other” and then slapping a monster in the last frame. Terrible movie given the name so people would watch it.

Thank goodness Overlord didn’t have that. Was thinking that throughout. I was like, “How on Earth were they going to spin it into that garbage?” After watching it, I said to my wife, “This feels like an 80s movie that Kurt Russell would have been in.” Felt like an instant, cult favourite.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Monty said:

I heard that as well. Much like The Cloverfield Paradox and 10 Cloverfield Lane. Finals scripts written with no intention for them to be in the Cloverfield universe, but in order to sell them to the public, they slapped the name on it.

In 10 Cloverfield Lane’s case, they just extended the ending 10 minutes and slapped it on the mailbox. A great movie that didn’t need it to be apart of the universe.

But The Cloverfield Paradox was much, much worse. Just some voice over from mission control saying “Cloverfield something or other” and then slapping a monster in the last frame. Terrible movie given the name so people would watch it.

Thank goodness Overlord didn’t have that. Was thinking that throughout. I was like, “How on Earth were they going to spin it into that garbage?” After watching it, I said to my wife, “This feels like an 80s movie that Kurt Russell would have been in.” Felt like an instant, cult favourite.

Crazy enough i liked paradox when i read it dropped right after the superbowl i had to watch it.it was a good movie.Lots of crazy twitsts and turns made it an interesting flick.

High Flying Bird

New Steven Soderbergh film that was made for Netflix, and his second movie in a row that was filmed entirely on an iPhone.

Premise? NBA lockout following a sports agent. Interested? You shouldn’t be. It’s awful.

• Haha 2