The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

Still have the following movies to watch from 2018. Then I can crown my fav from last year:

Roma

The Guilty

Widows

BlacKKKlansman

The Kindergarten Teacher

Bad Times at the El Royale

I was disappointed with Bad Times

8 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I was disappointed with Bad Times

I know it won’t crack my list, but I still want to see it.

I already suspect what I’ll crown my favourite from last year, but I do need to give Roma, The Guilty, and BlacKKKlansman a viewing.

26 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Might be time to cancel Netflix

Was almost thinking the same thing. My wife and I are finishing up the series Halt and Catch Fire. But other than that, lately I've just been watching Parks & Recreation on Amazon Prime, and my wife sticks to Britbox. Now that Netflix is up to $17/month (about what it costs for Prime and Britbox combined), the value isn't as 'slam-dunk' as it used to be.

But the kids watch a lot of it. If it weren't for the kids, and the odd exclusive (still need to watch Roma as well), I'd probably consider it.

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Was almost thinking the same thing. My wife and I are finishing up the series Halt and Catch Fire. But other than that, lately I've just been watching Parks & Recreation on Amazon Prime, and my wife sticks to Britbox. Now that Netflix is up to $17/month (about what it costs for Prime and Britbox combined), the value isn't as 'slam-dunk' as it used to be.

But the kids watch a lot of it. If it weren't for the kids, and the odd exclusive (still need to watch Roma as well), I'd probably consider it.

My kids access my account. They might be upset if I cancel lol

I just struggle to justify $17/mo anymore. Their catalogue is crap! They can't live off of Stranger Things any more.

22 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

My kids access my account. They might be upset if I cancel lol

I just struggle to justify $17/mo anymore. Their catalogue is crap! They can't live off of Stranger Things any more.

If you haven't watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Fargo (series), Brooklyn 99, then maybe you're watching the wrong stuff.

There are also some great exclusives (Stranger Things was a high point, but so is Wild Wild Country)...but they just seem to be getting rarer. That said, I just checked my watch list, and there are a bunch of exclusive movies I have never got around to watching, so the fault is partially mine too:

• Roma
  • Mudbound
  • Winter On Fire
  • The Kindergarten Teacher
  • Virunga
  • Happy as Lazzaro
  • Okja

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If you haven't watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, Fargo (series), Brooklyn 99, then maybe you're watching the wrong stuff.

There are also some great exclusives (Stranger Things was a high point, but so is Wild Wild Country)...but they just seem to be getting rarer. That said, I just checked my watch list, and there are a bunch of exclusive movies I have never got around to watching, so the fault is partially mine too:

• Roma
  • Mudbound
  • Winter On Fire
  • Virunga
  • Happy as Lazzaro
  • Okja

Fargo is probably why I will keep it for a bit longer. I want to try that.

Maybe BB too

13 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Fargo is probably why I will keep it for a bit longer. I want to try that.

Maybe BB too

Yeah, those are two of the best TV series of all time, IMO. You'll be happy you tried either.

It's funny when you know what you want to watch, and what you should watch, but for some reason you just can't bring yourself to start it. So you watch crap instead (Outlaw Kings, The Saint), and then say it's Netflix's fault. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:
  • Roma
  • Mudbound
  • Winter On Fire
  • Virunga
  • Happy as Lazzaro
  • Okja

Okja is good. I liked it a lot.

Winter on Fire is a must watch. It’s been about 3 or 4 years since I watched it, and I still think about it. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's funny when you know what you want to watch, and what you should watch, but for some reason you just can't bring yourself to start it. So you watch crap instead (Outlaw Kings, The Saint), and then say it's Netflix's fault. :lol:

Sometimes you just want to shut your brain off  :) 

And there are consequences to that

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:
55 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Sometimes you just want to shut your brain off  :) 

And there are consequences to that

That’s why I’ve been turning back to The Office for, yet another viewing.

I’m currently in season 6. As soon as Michael leaves, I might watch a bit of the Robert California season. Have to stop before it goes off the deep end and turns to Ed Helms. Honestly, what were they thinking?

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

That’s why I’ve been turning back to The Office for, yet another viewing.

I’m currently in season 6. As soon as Michael leaves, I might watch a bit of the Robert California season. Have to stop before it goes off the deep end and turns to Ed Helms. Honestly, what were they thinking?

The beauty of The Office was how close it was to real life, so when even the extreme satire kicked in you could relate.

I've worked with guys who were in many respects like Michael Scott, and Robert California. But never have I seen anyone remotely resembling Andy Bernard.

17 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The beauty of The Office was how close it was to real life, so when even the extreme satire kicked in you could relate.

I've worked with guys who were in many respects like Michael Scott, and Robert California. But never have I seen anyone remotely resembling Andy Bernard.

lucky you!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I had a boss about 12 years ago who was somewhat similar to Michael. Really nice guy, but we had 15 minute meetings every day that ALWAYS ended up 45 minutes long. He was so concerned about making everyone happy and being their friend, that he would restate the message so it was tailored in a way our team of 8 people, 8 different ways, so we wouldn’t get offended. I remember one meeting where a guy in his 60s finally said, “Just tell us the news and let us get back to work!”

Had another coworker at the bank who was similar to Dwight, in that he was super aggressive and bitter towards anyone that was promoted over him, and would actively try and take them down. I always had to talk him off the ledge. About 2 years after I left that job, he called me and said he was trying to get people together (all ex employees) who would file a complaint about the boss, in order to get her fired. I just told him, “We don’t even work there anymore. You don’t either. And she’s retiring in less than a year. I’m not sure what the benefit would be to anyone.”

No Andy, though. And also no Ed Helms. Any one of those would have been unbearable.

i got Crave recently, and it's pretty expensive ($20 for movies + live). but man, there's so much content on there I want to watch or re-watch. it's definitely a good investment for at least a few months. plus HBO has a pretty good lineup this year. 

because you can have multiple logins, I just split the cost with another person and we share.

edit: but I will say the Crave app on my tv (Samsung smart tv) is maybe the worst app of all time, like it's garbage.

Edited by GLASSJAW

there's also the Criterion Channel coming out very soon, for those of you who like your older movies. I'm really eager to give it a try, but would like to see what their release schedule is like and how much I'd actually use it.

• Upvote 1

Free Solo

Won the Academy Award for Best documentary this year. I haven’t seen the others, so I can’t say if it’s better than the others. I will say that it’s not the best documentary I’ve seen. Not by a long shot.

It is impressive to see the mental toughness and athleticism it takes to free climb like he did.

That said, obviously what he’s doing is incredibly stupid. While he didn’t die, chances are he will someday. As they said in the film, all free solo climbers end up dying.

There’s also something up with him, mentally. His father had Aspergers, so it’s possible he has some variation of that, because he comes across like a giant asshole.

I’d say it’s worth watching, but more for the stupidity of what he did.

EDIT: 

The more I’ve thought about this, the more I’m liking it. Again, not even close to the best documentary I’ve seen. I think the fact it won an Academy Award this year is more a reflection of how poor the lineup was, as I’ve seen runner ups in previous years that are far better (ie: Winter on Fire and What Happened Miss Simon lost to Amy :lol: ). 

However, I think what bothered me while watching it was Alex Honnold, and not understanding him as a person. The more I’ve thought about him, the more I get him. If he had a wife and kids to think about, then he certainly couldn’t do what he was doing. But very impressive.

If this is playing in a theatre nearby, especially an IMAX, then it’s a must see. We have a 110” screen + all the necessary trimmings to watch it as it’s intended, so I’d highly recommend watching in the best possible environment you can. Because the visuals are quite extraordinary.