The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Been sick lately, but have been catching up on some movies I missed...

Okja - 6/10 (Netflix)

I really enjoyed certain portions of the movie. Paul Dano knocked his role out of the park, and essentially every scene focused on the A.L.F. was gold. But the problem with the movie (IMO) are its 2 biggest stars. The plot is crazy, but the majority of the cast play along with it with sincerity. But Tilda Swinton and Jake Gyllenhaal take their roles too far, as if they're trying too hard to be satirical.

Spoiler

I also thought it would have had more of an impact if the Superpigs acted more like animals - there were points where they did things that no animal would have understood (Okja using the stump as a pulley, the parents of the baby pig sweeping it under the fence and Okja knowing to hide it, etc.). 

Capote - 7/10 (Prime)

Hoffman deserved the Oscar, as this is certainly well-acted. And the story behind it is interesting. But overal, I found it just to be a good - but not great - movie. It didn't help that Truman Capote was kind of a turd. Found it hard to root for him.

Whiplash - 8.5/10 (Prime)

Truly excellent. In many ways it was similar to Capote - the main character had to make sacrifices in order to achieve a creative peak. And both the protagonist and antagonist in this movie were both turds, but to me, the movie did a better job at explaining and redeeming them.

Edited by D-Money

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Whiplash - 8.5/10 (Prime)

Truly excellent. In many ways it was similar to Capote - the main character had to make sacrifices in order to achieve a creative peak. And both the protagonist and antagonist in this movie were both turds, but to me, the movie did a better job at explaining and redeeming them.

There are some movies that, when on, I’ll watch through, no matter what mood I’m in. Whiplash is such a terrific movie that I’ve watched a number of times, now. As a parent as well, that last scene where you see Paul Reiser’s emotional reaction to his son’s drumming is heartwarming. To a point where I tear up every time.

8 hours ago, Monty said:

There are some movies that, when on, I’ll watch through, no matter what mood I’m in. Whiplash is such a terrific movie that I’ve watched a number of times, now. As a parent as well, that last scene where you see Paul Reiser’s emotional reaction to his son’s drumming is heartwarming. To a point where I tear up every time.

I love this scene.

• Upvote 1

Avengers: Endgame - 8/10

There were too many problems with how they tried to describe certain things that happened, like the main thing used to advance the plot. That being said, the acting was good and there was as usual solid humor throughout. Overall I enjoyed the movie.

While not 100% reliable, Rotten Tomatoes has the new female driven “comedy” remake of Dirty, Rotten, Scoundrels, called “The Hustle (or waste of time and money)” sitting at 17%. 

If you’ve seen the preview, and I won’t post it below if you haven’t, so you won’t lose brain cells, you won’t be surprised that it’s supposed to be garbage. A few weeks ago, my wife and I watched the preview before some movie in theatres (Shazam!). She never saw the original, and didn’t know it was a remake. At the end of the preview, before I said what it was, she said “Wow, that looks awful.”

On 5/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, Psycho_Path said:

Avengers: Endgame - 8/10

There were too many problems with how they tried to describe certain things that happened, like the main thing used to advance the plot. That being said, the acting was good and there was as usual solid humor throughout. Overall I enjoyed the movie.

Ya I gotta say I was very presently surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.

ima hardcore cynic towards these type of movies but my son really wanted to go and so it was.....

as for the bolded this is what I was most impressed by....solid writing.

id go easy 8/10 which considering how against hero movies and computer graphics I am that 8 would really mean a high 9.

Edited by riffraff

mid90s: 6/10

directorial debut by jonah hill, which i guess means something. a24, which means a lot

hate most coming of age stories, hate most nostalgia pieces. this one was doomed from the start, but 6/10 aint bad. unfortunately, it's fake, fake, fake. it's one thing to make a movie about the past, it's another to try to make your movie look like an authentic document of the past - especially when those authentic documents already exist in droves.

like, even the aspect ratio is straight out of 1995.

the soundtrack is straight out of a 2014 article on "best music from the 90s." don't get me wrong, it's a great soundtrack, but i don't buy it. too much today, not enough yesterday. outside of the homophobic language, much of the dialogue was tailored for contemporary sensitivities, too

with all that said, it was pretty enjoyable. floated by. reminded me of actual 90s movies and 90s culture, for better and for worse

:lol: 

Gotta love Wikipedia. Someone edited this as the plot for the new Aladdin movie:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_(2019_film)

Aladin goes on the run, steals some bread, gets a blue magic slave to help him, then manipulates a princess. They all live happily ever after

I’m sure it’s already fixed, but that gave me a good chuckle.

• Haha 1

BlacKkKlansman

Really happy how much I enjoyed this. Mainly because I find Spike Lee’s movies utterly horrible (aside from Inside Man and The 25th Hour). Didn’t know until halfway through that the main character is Denzel Washington’s son, who did very well. As did Adam Driver.

Solid movie. Not the best from last year, but good.

2E1E319E-825F-492D-A34C-978DC22824AB.jpeg

3 hours ago, Monty said:

BlacKkKlansman

Really happy how much I enjoyed this. Mainly because I find Spike Lee’s movies utterly horrible (aside from Inside Man and The 25th Hour). Didn’t know until halfway through that the main character is Denzel Washington’s son, who did very well. As did Adam Driver.

Solid movie. Not the best from last year, but good.

2E1E319E-825F-492D-A34C-978DC22824AB.jpeg

After the way he acted at the oscars i really dont wanna watch this movie.

32 minutes ago, Violator said:

After the way he acted at the oscars i really dont wanna watch this movie.

Spike Lee? I mean, he acts like a goof year round. 

But I can see why you wouldn’t want to. The only director I find more unbearable is Oliver Stone.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

Spike Lee? I mean, he acts like a goof year round. 

But I can see why you wouldn’t want to. The only director I find more unbearable is Oliver Stone.

Yeah hes a different guy oliver stone feels like every movie is political.Though "untold history of the united states", is a pretty crazy look into his thought process.

been into some weird sh-t lately

short films of david lynch: 5/10. not particularly enjoyable, but interesting to see many threads and images from his early work that kind of grew into other ideas in his later work

eraserhead: 6/10. lmfao

elephant man: 10?/10. wonderfully shot, great acting, great story. i guess my only complaint is that it drags a tiny, tiny bit towards the end - oh, and john hurt's drooling sounds

multiple maniacs: 4/10. early John Waters movie I hadn't seen, might be the first with the Dreamland crew, and my god it's terrible. watching it is excruciating, but now that it's over i can sorta laugh about it.