The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Dirt: 2/10

If you were to make a movie about Ted Bundy, would you try to paint him in a positive light? Obviously the band was nowhere near as awful as Bundy, but with the exception of Mars, they all seemed like piece of trash woman abusers whose drug use resulted in other people dying. I wish the producers/director had the balls to call them for what they were. Did anybody need a Motley Crue biopic? I don't think so. So, if you're going to do one, at least have integrity to set the right tone. Tommy Lee on multiple occasions assaulted the women he was with... including assaulting Pamela Anderson while she held their child... but no, let's talk about how he's a good drummer and a loyal dude.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Fahrenheit 11/9 - Divided:unsure:/10

I used to be a pretty big fan of Michael Moore's stuff. From Roger & Me, to Bowling For Columbine, and everything in-between - his movies (and books, and even television series) generally brought up important issues, stuck up for the "little guy", and wrapped it up in an entertaining way. But then he went ultra-political, and started relying more on cheap tricks, hearsay, and gimmickry to push his political agenda. He pretty much lost me at Fahrenheit 9/11, although I did watch (and enjoy) Sicko.

This movie is pretty much the worst - and best - of Michael Moore. On the one hand, his handling of Trump is at times beyond ridiculous.

Spoiler

He essentially accuses Trump of incest with his daughter, and goes to the point of playing the audio of excerpts of Trump's speeches over video clips of Hitler.

And if this would have been the whole movie, I would say it's a definite pass.

But then, in the middle of the film, Moore stretches the narrative to include the story of the Flint water crisis. Now, I was pretty much unaware of this story, and when the details were laid out for me I was floored. This portion of the film was captivating, heart-wrenching, and some of Moore's best work in years. If you think there is a limit to what a 1st-world, democratic government will subject its citizens to, prepare to be shocked and horrified. If this was the focus of the documentary, it would be an absolute must-watch.

So, if you have Amazon Prime, I recommend skipping ahead to the part on Flint, and give it a go. It is intertwined with some solid footage related to the work of the teenage survivors of the Parkland shooting, which is also worthy viewing. But when you start seeing Hitler clips...proceed at your own peril.

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1

Glass

Meh. Shyamalan is what he is. This movie is by no means good, but it’s a lot better than most of his outings. Which isn’t high praise.

As usual, Bruce Willis sleepwalks through his performance.

James McAvoy is the only reason to watch. But the movie is really poorly written.

2813F576-E1DF-4D05-A13C-7C2844247214.jpeg

Brie Larson’s directorial debut, Unicorn Store, was panned by critics. Netflix and Larson claim it’s because male critics have an agenda.

New Hellboy movie getting destroyed by critics. That’s not because male reviewers hate the male lead, but because it’s a bad film.

Hollywood is hilarious.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Brie Larson’s directorial debut, Unicorn Store, was panned by critics. Netflix and Larson claim it’s because male critics have an agenda.

New Hellboy movie getting destroyed by critics. That’s not because male reviewers hate the male lead, but because it’s a bad film.

Hollywood is hilarious.

Maybe, just maybe, your movie sucked because you weren't qualified to direct it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Maybe, just maybe, your movie sucked because you weren't qualified to direct it. 

Nope. People hate women in movies. Alien, Kill Bill, Annihilation, Pride and Prejudice, Hidden Figures, Silence of the Lambs, The Hunger Games, every Meryl Streep movie, Erin Brockovich, Bend it like Beckham, Little Women, 9 to 5, Frances Ha, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Amelie, Blue Jasmine, Working Girl, Mean Girls, His Girl Friday, The Birds, Wonder Woman, The Favourite, It Follows, All about Eve, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Cold Mountain, My Fair Lady, Chicago, Elle. 

Give me a break 2019.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Monty said:

Hollywood is hilarious.

The movie kinda sucked and i have no issues with women in hollywood.It just didnt make any sense.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Really eh? I want to see it. Gotta rent it from the Shaw box. Nflx doesn't have it.

I rented it. Very well done....just so slow and boring.

I hate movies you can summarize in 4 words and not watch. 

Corrupt powerful Vice President.

And who cares? They are all powerful and corrupt. I was not entertained.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, Monty said:

Nope. People hate women in movies. Alien, Kill Bill, Annihilation, Pride and Prejudice, Hidden Figures, Silence of the Lambs, The Hunger Games, every Meryl Streep movie, Erin Brockovich, Bend it like Beckham, Little Women, 9 to 5, Frances Ha, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Amelie, Blue Jasmine, Working Girl, Mean Girls, His Girl Friday, The Birds, Wonder Woman, The Favourite, It Follows, All about Eve, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Cold Mountain, My Fair Lady, Chicago, Elle. 

Give me a break 2019.

No Thelma and Louise???

WTF. That's brutal.

I'm putting you on ignore

:P

Edited by Shift-4
  • Haha 3

On 4/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, Monty said:

Hollywood is hilarious.

There can only be one, and he did such a good job.

• Upvote 1

High Life

Robert Pattinson has really been on a role. Cosmopolis, The Rover, the excellent and phenomenal Good Time (one of my favs), and now High Life. It gets a little graphic at one point, so avoid watching with children. Otherwise, very interesting film. I went in knowing little about it, except that it took place in space.

55A70640-9662-4D41-A277-C6EFCE5572D4.jpeg

Lion 8/10

emotionally gripping story based on true events, of two brothers in India who become separated at a train station.  The younger brother is lost.

20 years goes along after the younger brother is adopted by an Australian couple.

fairly intense movie but still suitable for kids.  Watched it with mine.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2