The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 4/25/2020 at 3:33 AM, D-Money said:

Darkest Hour - 5/10

(Netflix) Well acted and shot... but seriously dull Oscar-bait. No surprises, and oozing with sentimentality. Although Oldman is a favourite of mine, I found Lithgow’s Churchill in The Crown more interesting.

Good to know. Had this in my queue, but haven’t brought myself to watch it, mostly because I’m not 60, yet. Seems like the ultimate “dad” movie.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:33 AM, D-Money said:

Groundhog Day - 8.5/10

(Netflix) I couldn’t believe it when my wife of nearly 15 years said she’d never actually seen this. But I realized watching again how long it’s been since I had.  It still holds up. For a while it seems like just another 90’s-era comedy, but Murray and the writers keep going deeper and darker into the gimmick, and end up hitting not only comedic gold, but interesting life lessons, that might stick with you even longer than the jokes.

(Was also cool to see a young Michael Shannon in a bit part - 18 years before I started noticing him, but still recognized him as a teenager immediately.)

Remember seeing Michael Shannon in this a few years ago. Very weird. Not as weird as him being in Bad Boys 2, though:

2717FCD9-0BB0-4E24-8535-3CF217CD09FF.jpeg

:wacko:

• Haha 1

Extraction on Netflix

Enjoyable action romp with Thor oops, Chris Hemsworth, who has to extract a kid being held captive by an Indian crime boss chap.
Good action scenes (how did they film some of those?) that kept me entertained throughout the duration.

8/10

• Like 1

The Lodge (2019)

Watched this a number of days ago. Wasn’t sure if I was going to write up a review or not. After letting it sit, thought it warranted a write up.

More a thriller/psychological thriller than a horror movie. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Cinematography was decent, acting was really well done by Riley Keough (granddaughter of Elvis Presley, daughter of Lisa-Marie). She’s been in a number of films, a number are critically acclaimed (Fury Road, Under the Silver Lake, American Honey, Logan Lucky, It Comes At Night), so she’s a legitimate actress. No different here. She absolutely carries the movie. Don’t want to give away the story or ending. Would love to discuss it with someone once they have seen it. Much different take on the genre which I both appreciated and challenges the viewer.

If you like psychological thrillers, this is definitely worth watching. Not only for her acting and the atmosphere, but the fact that the ending challenges your views.

1A1EE579-5AC5-4B29-BF88-C85C21ABF85E.jpeg

7 hours ago, Monty said:

The Lodge (2019)

Watched this a number of days ago. Wasn’t sure if I was going to write up a review or not. After letting it sit, thought it warranted a write up.

More a thriller/psychological thriller than a horror movie. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Cinematography was decent, acting was really well done by Riley Keough (granddaughter of Elvis Presley, daughter of Lisa-Marie). She’s been in a number of films, a number are critically acclaimed (Fury Road, Under the Silver Lake, American Honey, Logan Lucky, It Comes At Night), so she’s a legitimate actress. No different here. She absolutely carries the movie. Don’t want to give away the story or ending. Would love to discuss it with someone once they have seen it. Much different take on the genre which I both appreciated and challenges the viewer.

If you like psychological thrillers, this is definitely worth watching. Not only for her acting and the atmosphere, but the fact that the ending challenges your views.

1A1EE579-5AC5-4B29-BF88-C85C21ABF85E.jpeg

Good to know. Was scrolling through looking for a movie to watch last night and did think about this one. Didn’t end up watching any movie after not being able to decide but maybe I’ll get to this one eventually. 

Edited by gmen81

On 4/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, Monty said:

Good to know. Had this in my queue, but haven’t brought myself to watch it, mostly because I’m not 60, yet. Seems like the ultimate “dad” movie.

Remember seeing Michael Shannon in this a few years ago. Very weird. Not as weird as him being in Bad Boys 2, though:

2717FCD9-0BB0-4E24-8535-3CF217CD09FF.jpeg

:wacko:

It's a good movie and worth watching if you are a WW2 buff.

Remember when Shannon got his ass clobbered by Eminem? :lol:

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 6.5/10

A while ago I gave up on superhero movies. Taika Waititi ended up bringing me back with Ragnarok, and I watched Infinity War (which was decent), and Endgame (which was not). Since then I’ve watched a few that I missed.

Maybe it was due to low expectations given the negative reviews, but I was surprised how much I liked this movie. Sure, the villain was woefully underdeveloped, and plot devices were forced in with a crowbar...but it had something that Endgame completely lacked: fun. It was just a silly comic book movie, which is what all these things started out as.

The part where Iron Man tries to tame The Hulk with his special armor was a riot - might be my favourite scene of all 4 Avengers movies.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Decent. Overrated. But watchable.

Yup. Awful.

In retrospect, I’d rank The Avengers movies in the same order they were released. Enjoyed Ultron more than Infinity War.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

In retrospect, I’d rank The Avengers movies in the same order they were released. Enjoyed Ultron more than Infinity War.

I haven’t seen any of them more than once. That seems like an impossible task. I forget which ones I enjoyed more than others.

25 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Sounds like there is a plan to remake Scarface. I guess I'm now getting old enough to recognize when remakes sound like a horrible idea. 

Not sure I like the idea of that, I don’t think that performance can be replicated and work with the more modern times. 

Similar to Sopranos, which I just binged recently, I don’t think a more modern remake of it would work. 

I also don’t like the idea of Tom Hardy playing Al Capone, it should have been Stephen Graham’s role.