The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Replacement GDT: Canucks Vs. Avalanche

DING

Wow. So much overreaction. Look at it this way if they are supposed to be a tandem where Schneids is the go-to guy for the bigger games then would you rather they alternate and Luongo plays Chicago or would you rather have Schneids in that game?

Schneider isn't as delicate a flower as you guys are making him out to be. He will be just fine. It is a short season and he will be given the big starts. Luongo will get these filler games til he is traded. This is not a controversy at all. The team needs wins and they are alternating goalies in a way that Cory gets the better teams (yes as of now SJ is a better team than the Kings, and Chi >>> Col) since he is the starter.

You'd think at this stage canuck fans would be more worried about the powerplay and the defense than non-stories like this.

Why would anyone be upset with Lu starting? I say if he plays better then use him and the same in reverse. You narrow minded people need to wake up and see we need to play better and have the better situation on the ice.

For those of you that think this is hurting Cory, shake your heads and understand if he can't handle this, then he should reconsider playing in the NHL. They are pros!

This right to entitlement that people keep throwing around is dumb.

How is this is a showcase? A showcase game would be Friday against the Blackhawks. When is the last time Luongo lost to Colorado in regulation? Years! It's a gamble if it's a showcase game because if he does lose he lost to the Avalance and if he wins, well he just beat the Avs.

You do realize that there is a difference between a team trying to catch up and a team playing with a lead? Especially when the latter is dead tired from 4 games in 6 nights?

Of course, I shouldn't expect much from a guy who actually believes Luongo was a better goalie than Schneider last season.

Not surprised by the decision, it is quite obvious the reason he's getting the start is due to the fact of his play as of late and/or a team(s) has asked for a better look hence a possible trade. Only time will tell but as of now, Luongo has been exceptional as well as Schnieder but our D has made Schnieder look bad due to their sloppy play. Hopefully the boys get back into the groove of things and get a win tonight :)

I bet the farm that was not AV's decision.Go back and see/hearwhat Gillis and AV said on the matter before hand.

AV was red in the face and could not speak coherently.

Gillis said AV made the right decision.

MG is a micro manager and AV is not making critical decisions without Mike and his buds making it for him.

I think Roberto is starting this game because they wan't to test how Cory will do against a likely playoff opponent in Chicago.

Cory is the guy going forward, Luongo has been better, and this is a "filler" game. If I were a CS fan I'd be more upset if Luongo started the hawks game on Friday.

RELAX

There's the rub

Clearly Lu, the club, and Schneider made it clear last Spring/Summer that the understanding was that Lu will be traded. Lu has said it was time to move on. Gillis has not wavered from the position that he is shopping Lu. And Schneider himself has done interviews where he is asked about being the #1 and takes it like a fact.

So if that's the case then Schneider needs to play more. There is every reason to believe that if AV plays Lu the majority of games then Lu will get into a rythym and will play awesome. But the same can be said of Schneider. The more you play him the more comfortable and experienced and better he will get. So yes, in practicality, sure I would be confident with either one given that superior role.....but I thought the Canucks had made their choice. If you play Lu he will get better. If you play Schneids he will get better.

So (in my worst nightmare) AV continues to laugh off rationality, and decides to run with Lu this year as his #1 #1 and he performs well which is totally believable. And Schneider probably will have similar success if he runs with him. Then either Schneider gets traded or simply sits on the bench for the playoffs once again. And.......Lu has another typical playoffs and melts down and we bow out early.

NOW Gillis has a veteran goalie with no trade value because he has proven once again how he handles playoff pressure with a long expensive contract. And Schneider, if he is here at all by then, has lost all respect and confidence in the club or the coach. F'n brilliant.

There's the rub

Clearly Lu, the club, and Schneider made it clear last Spring/Summer that the understanding was that Lu will be traded. Lu has said it was time to move on. Gillis has not wavered from the position that he is shopping Lu. And Schneider himself has done interviews where he is asked about being the #1 and takes it like a fact.

So if that's the case then Schneider needs to play more. There is every reason to believe that if AV plays Lu the majority of games then Lu will get into a rythym and will play awesome. But the same can be said of Schneider. The more you play him the more comfortable and experienced and better he will get. So yes, in practicality, sure I would be confident with either one given that superior role.....but I thought the Canucks had made their choice. If you play Lu he will get better. If you play Schneids he will get better.

So (in my worst nightmare) AV continues to laugh off rationality, and decides to run with Lu this year as his #1 #1 and he performs well which is totally believable. And Schneider probably will have similar success if he runs with him. Then either Schneider gets traded or simply sits on the bench for the playoffs once again. And.......Lu has another typical playoffs and melts down and we bow out early.

NOW Gillis has a veteran goalie with no trade value because he has proven once again how he handles playoff pressure with a long expensive contract. And Schneider, if he is here at all by then, has lost all respect and confidence in the club or the coach. F'n brilliant.

Archived