The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

AriGold

Yah, it doesn't affect the cap right now. Canucks have approx 900k in cap space. But when there is a Luongo trade I think we will take back more than $5.3 mill in cap hit. I am confident there will be more than 1 player coming back. That remains to be seen. It doesn't have to be a Luongo trade. This team needs to get tougher in the tip 6. MG may have another potential trade in the works to bring in some size and grit.

When Canucks do make a trade they can't put Manny on LTIR a few mins before making the trade call. The optics wouldn't be good and the league would take issue. Manny hasn't been playing great besides from the face offs. He's got 2 shots on net this season. The fact is he wasn't earning his $2.5 mill cheque any more.

You don't play him 100 games and then decide he's not fit to play. Any chance of legal issues is mitigated by the fact doctors have cleared Manny to play. Most ppl take everything a team GM says at face value. I don't. Anyone who believes a lawyer word for word is naive IMO. MG is a lawyer and a pretty darn good one.

I too am a fan of Manny's character and was a fan of his play before he got injured. When he got injured I was one of only a hand full of ppl on CDC who believed in him and maintained Manny would return for the 4th and final round of playoffs. Took a lot of heat from other CDC members at the time, but I believed in him and made a judgement call.

I don't think he's at all happy about this decision by the organisation. Manny spent a lot of time and energy getting ready for the season, he didn't come in thinking he would be given 10 games to make his case. I'm pretty sure he's angry and frustrated, hence the media blackout from him.

They also aren't helped by putting him on LTI now, and in fact it's been stated already that they haven't. If it comes to it later, they might use the LTI relief, but as such it has no cap implications currently. Even then, unless we take on a cap dump for only this year in a trade, I don't see it being an issue with a Luongo deal or otherwise since we can't hope to bring back someone like O'Reilly, Kessel or Ovechkin and expect to fit under the cap next year without severe cuts elsewhere.

Besides, if the league didn't take issue with the Islanders trading nothing for Thomas' cap hit (assuming he doesn't play, the conditional pick never becomes a condition), then how could they take issue with us putting Manny on either IR or LTI? If they had any concern, or even if the NHLPA did, they'd ask for an independent medical evaluation and that'd come back that he has vision issues in his eye. He might pass the tests, but it's subjective from there whether or not it's safe for the player and there's no way to prove he absolutely should be safe to play with that as a concern.

It's speculative at this point whether or not he's happy with the decision, or happy with the organization for protecting his health. We know the organization is classy enough to move a player who has earned the right to play, and if Manny said he disagreed and would fight to play the team would have likely agree to a trade or at least let him go to waivers to see if someone would pick him up.

As mentioned, he hasn't been put on LTI and doing so now would gain us nothing as we're already under the cap. We can't bank LTI relief.

I see that alot of people have run with the allegation that Gillis is unceremoniously cap dumping Malhotra's career (I'm referring to the comments posted on TSN in the locked thread).

What they don't realize imo is that the Canucks really need Manny... He plays/ed and extremely important role on this team, and very effectively. The Canucks don't need to make a "cap dump" - they are cap compliant - and Malhotra is a free agent at season's end when the Canucks will actually need to address cap issues. What this does is leave a big gap in the bottom six at the most crucial position to this organization. It means they actually need to spend asset value to acquire another depth center and very few guys in the league make a comparable substitute in that role. And I highly, highly doubt that Gillis is looking to take back over 8 million in salary in a Luongo deal - that is what it would take - more than Luongo's salary, to hold up a Luongo deal. That seems entirely unrealistic considering the cap drop at season's end.

I think this decision actually hurts the Canucks and Gillis more than any cap benefit under the circumstances.

Spare us the conspiratorial cap circumvention nonsense - imo you don't know what you're talking about. There are two legitimate considerations to a decision - has the serious eye injury effected his ability to perform and does it effect the player's safety? I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision based solely on cap issues.

NHL ‘satisfied’ with Canucks’ decision to place Malhotra on IR

The NHL is not taking issue with the Vancouver Canucks’ decision to place forward Manny Malhotraon injured reserve, despite the fact the 32-year-old who suffered a serious eye injury in 2011 has appeared in nine games this season.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that “the league is satisfied and has approved the team’s and player’s joint decision to discontinue the player’s participation in NHL games at this time on the basis of the player’s current medical condition and the risk of injury that such condition poses.”

The Canucks announced the move yesterday, with general manager Mike Gillis suggesting Malhotra’s impaired vision put the veteran player at risk on the ice.

“I have to make the decision and I wouldn’t put anybody in a position (if) I was uncomfortable with their ability to protect themselves,” said Gillis, “or their ability to function out on the ice and be at a higher risk than normal, particularly in today’s game where it so fast, the players are big … I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.

As others have said, this seems pretty clear - it's most likely a mutually agreed unofficial retirement. I'd be shocked if this wasn't at least partially his own decision. Of course the team can't say that for obvious reasons - plausible deniability. Not a crazy conspiracy theory, but a logical CBA loophole already discussed at length by analysts a lot smarter than myself.

As I understand it, if a players retires, the team still keeps a portion of remaining salary against the cap. On LTIR, on the other hand, cap hit is negated. So an injured player ready to retire might as well stay on LTIR until the contract is done. I realize he's actually on IR rather than LTIR for now, but that status can easily be changed when/if necessary for cap relief. If he officially retires outright, on the other hand, that option's off the table for good. I'm sure it won't be the last time we see this scenario under the current CBA.

Everything fits. At least that's my mostly uneducated take on it.

Edit: I just want to be clear, I don't think the continued eye problem and danger involved is being faked at all, I just believe that retirement is the end goal and that they are simply unable/unwilling to announce that in order to maintain cap flexibility, and I believe that Manny is completely on board with this.

Stupid people saying that because he passed a physical means that he shouldn't be able to be put on IR. Pretty sure his injury is kind of a unique one, and just because he was medically cleared to play, doesn't mean that it's safe for him to.

I'm kind of curious though. How many people think that this was partially a move to clear up a roster spot by Gillis? And how many people think that this was a legitimate decision by both sides for him to stop playing?

As others have said, this seems pretty clear - it's most likely a mutually agreed unofficial retirement. I'd be shocked if this wasn't at least partially his own decision. Of course the team can't say that for obvious reasons - plausible deniability. Not a crazy conspiracy theory, but a logical CBA loophole already discussed at length by analysts a lot smarter than myself.

As I understand it, if a players retires, the team still keeps a portion of remaining salary against the cap. On LTIR, on the other hand, cap hit is negated. So an injured player ready to retire might as well stay on LTIR until the contract is done. I realize he's actually on IR rather than LTIR for now, but that status can easily be changed when/if necessary for cap relief. If he officially retires outright, on the other hand, that option's off the table for good. I'm sure it won't be the last time we see this scenario under the current CBA.

Everything fits. At least that's my mostly uneducated take on it.

Edit: I just want to be clear, I don't think the continued eye problem and danger involved is being faked at all, I just believe that retirement is the end goal and that they are simply unable/unwilling to announce that in order to maintain cap flexibility, and I believe that Manny is completely on board with this.

Unless Manny is on on it from the beggining.

There could easily have been a conversation between MM and MG, instigated by either, wherein they came up with the idea together.

MM may have been having eye issues the whole time. He could have gone to mgmt and said "I have this idea".

Archived