The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

AriGold

Well, it has nothing to do with cap right now, as I know you must know. They could put him on LTI if we do trade for someone with a higher cap hit (like moving a $1M player for a $3M player) but I don't know that's the plan considering we have to drop salary to get under the cap next year. If we bring in a rental, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't want to give up much in assets to do it, and if he moves someone like Ballard it'll be for someone cheaper. Even a Luongo deal won't bring back more cap that goes out.

Manny is a loss for us for sure, even if you just consider the depth he brings. It's tough personally for him as well, since he's such a competitor. And those of us who are fans of his play and character certainly hope he's ok emotionally with the decision and will be fine moving forward.

Hopefully without dealing with body contact for the balance of the season he recovers sight in his bad eye somewhat and the chance

of further retinal damage diminishes and he is good to go next year. If not at least he will be able to live his life with his family and still

drive a car, see his kids grow up and be a part of their lives. There is more to life than hockey and the Canucks are even offering him

a job with the organization. A guy like Gaunce could learn an awful lot from Manny. Having Manny on his side and helping him become

a pro could be the difference between making it or not making it to the big leagues. Every year we have rookies in need of mentoring and encouragement. Manny seems like the perfect person to do that for our forward prospects.

Well, it has nothing to do with cap right now, as I know you must know. They could put him on LTI if we do trade for someone with a higher cap hit (like moving a $1M player for a $3M player) but I don't know that's the plan considering we have to drop salary to get under the cap next year.

This seems like maybe it was the plan all along. Kes comes back, Manny is placed on LTIR for the remainder of the season. Impending cap issues addressed to a degree when Manny retires and serves the team at a different capacity.

And that's not meant in a cynical way. I think it absolutely the right thing to do to do right by Manny. It actually works out beautifully.

And as many have said, I hope that if they are able to win the cup that they petition to have his name engraved in it, too.

I see that alot of people have run with the allegation that Gillis is unceremoniously cap dumping Malhotra's career (I'm referring to the comments posted on TSN in the locked thread).

What they don't realize imo is that the Canucks really need Manny... He plays/ed and extremely important role on this team, and very effectively. The Canucks don't need to make a "cap dump" - they are cap compliant - and Malhotra is a free agent at season's end when the Canucks will actually need to address cap issues. What this does is leave a big gap in the bottom six at the most crucial position to this organization. It means they actually need to spend asset value to acquire another depth center and very few guys in the league make a comparable substitute in that role. And I highly, highly doubt that Gillis is looking to take back over 8 million in salary in a Luongo deal - that is what it would take - more than Luongo's salary, to hold up a Luongo deal. That seems entirely unrealistic considering the cap drop at season's end.

I think this decision actually hurts the Canucks and Gillis more than any cap benefit under the circumstances.

Spare us the conspiratorial cap circumvention nonsense - imo you don't know what you're talking about. There are two legitimate considerations to a decision - has the serious eye injury effected his ability to perform and does it effect the player's safety? I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision based solely on cap issues.

I don't think he's at all happy about this decision by the organisation. Manny spent a lot of time and energy getting ready for the season, he didn't come in thinking he would be given 10 games to make his case. I'm pretty sure he's angry and frustrated, hence the media blackout from him.

I see that alot of halfwits have run with the allegation that Gillis is unceremoniously cap dumping Malhotra's career.

What these ignorant armchairs don't realize is that the Canucks really need Manny... He plays/ed and extremely important role on this team, and very effectively. The Canucks don't need to make a "cap dump" - they are cap compliant - and Malhotra is a free agent at season's end when the Canucks will actually need to address cap issues. What this does is leave a big gap in the bottom six at the most crucial position to this organization. It means they actually need to spend asset value to acquire another depth center and very few guys in the league make a comparable substitute in that role.

Spare us the conspiratorial cap circumvention nonsense - you don't know what you're talking about. There are two legitimate considerations to a decision - has the serious eye injury effected his ability to perform and does it effect the player's safety? I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

And you are a full wit?

Obviously his eye injury has affected his ability to perform. Other wise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Manny was a Selke nominee before he got hurt. If Manny was playing great he would still be on the team. No one is suggesting MG did this despite Manny being a great player. The fact is Manny is no longer a $2.5 mill player. At league minimum maybe, $2.5, NO. Manny is not good enough to be on the roster anymore.

Manny is medically cleared to play. MG is not a doctor. I would persume doctors would know more than MG if it's safe for Manny to play or not. His injury is an excuse.

Manny got pushed out because his play has deterioration to a point where he is not helping the team, particularly with his salary and cap hit. It was either go on LTI or be placed on waivers.

Archived