The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Toronto Blue Jays '13 Season Thread

Gross-Misconduct

So after 120 games the Blue Jays are 55 - 65 (.458) and 16.0 games back in their division and 13.0 games back in the wild card race. And here's how they got there:

Games 1 - 10: 4 - 6 ; 1.5 games back (Boston/NY); WCGB: 1.5 games (Apr 12)

Games 11 - 20: 4 - 6 ; 5.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 3.5 games (Apr 22)

Games 21 - 30: 2 - 8 ; 10.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 7.5 games (May 3)

Games 31 - 40: 6 - 4; 9.5 games back (Yankees); WCGB: 6.5 games (May 14)

Games 41 - 50: 5 - 5; 9.5 games back (NY/Boston); WCGB: 6.5 games (May 26)

Games 51 - 60: 5 - 5; 10.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 8.5 games (June 7)

Games 61 - 70: 8 - 2; 8.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 4.5 games (June 18)

Games 71 - 80: 6 - 4; 7.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 5.0 games (June 29)

Games 81 - 90: 4 - 6; 10.0 games back (Boston); WCGB: 6.5 games (July 10)

Games 91 - 100: 1 - 9; 14.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 11.0 games (July 24)

Games 101 - 110: 5 - 5; 16.0 games back (Boston); WCGB: 11.0 games (Aug 3)

Games 111 - 120; 5 - 5; 16.0 games back (Boston/Tampa) WCGB: 13.0 games (Aug 14)

Of the twelve sets of 10 games, the Jays have been under .500 in five sets, at .500 in four sets and over .500 in only three sets.

Their next ten games see the Jays play Boston once, the Rays three times, the Yankees four times and the Astros twice. I'm guessin' this is going to be another sub .500 group of ten.

I think him and his coaching staff are a joke, they mighta had a shot with MLB level management AA will probably be fired over this

Gibbons was a confounding choice. The guy was managing AA, why did the Jays hire him out of the blue like that? Was it out of familiarity, because he sucked as their manager for a few seasons? That's certainly no reason to go back and hire him again. Somebody explain this one.

• 2 weeks later...

ANTHOPOULOS SAYS GIBBONS WILL BE BACK AS JAYS MANAGER

The Toronto Blue Jays have promised changes for next season after an underachieving 2013 campaign.

However, according to general manager Alex Anthopoulos, one change that will not be made is manager John Gibbons who will return for the 2014 season.

Gibbons was hired during the off-season to replace former manager John Farrell, who left the Jays for the same job with the Boston Red Sox.

The 51-year-old is in his second stint with the Blue Jays, having previously managed the team from 2004-2008 when he was fired mid-season.

Despite the fact the Jays bolstered their roster with high-profile trades during the off-season, the team finds itself last in the American League East, 18 games behind the Red Sox for top spot.

Gibbons has a career managerial record of 364-378.

Bad move. I think Anthopoulos may be singing his own walking papers.

The Toronto Blue Jays have promised changes for next season after an underachieving 2013 campaign.

However, according to general manager Alex Anthopoulos, one change that will not be made is manager John Gibbons who will return for the 2014 season.

Gibbons was hired during the off-season to replace former manager John Farrell, who left the Jays for the same job with the Boston Red Sox.

The 51-year-old is in his second stint with the Blue Jays, having previously managed the team from 2004-2008 when he was fired mid-season.

Despite the fact the Jays bolstered their roster with high-profile trades during the off-season, the team finds itself last in the American League East, 18 games behind the Red Sox for top spot.

Bad move. I think Anthopoulos may be singing his own walking papers.

#FireAnthopoulos

Haha, what a ???? joke. This organization needs a complete house cleaning.. AA and Gibbons should be fired, no questions asked. I was willing to give AA the benefit of the doubt, providing he would replace Gibbons with someone else, but keeping Gibbons is an insult to all Blue Jays fans out there.

May as well call them the Blue Gays from now on. The team will never make the playoffs in another 100 years anyways.

Haha, what a ???? joke. This organization needs a complete house cleaning.. AA and Gibbons should be fired, no questions asked. I was willing to give AA the benefit of the doubt, providing he would replace Gibbons with someone else, but keeping Gibbons is an insult to all Blue Jays fans out there.

May as well call them the Blue Gays from now on. The team will never make the playoffs in another 100 years anyways.

What the hell, buddy.

Two words.

Un. Believable.

I hope they push hard to get Halladay back in the off-season. He might be up there in age and lost some of his velocity, but he still has command of all his pitches and actually has had success against AL East teams, something none of the Jays' pitchers have.

And so after 140 games the Blue Jays are 64 - 76 (.457) and 19.5 games back in their division and 13.5 games back in the wild card race.

And here's how they got there:

Games 1 - 10: 4 - 6 ; 1.5 games back (Boston/NY); WCGB: 1.5 games (Apr 12)

Games 11 - 20: 4 - 6 ; 5.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 3.5 games (Apr 22)

Games 21 - 30: 2 - 8 ; 10.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 7.5 games (May 3)

Games 31 - 40: 6 - 4; 9.5 games back (Yankees); WCGB: 6.5 games (May 14)

Games 41 - 50: 5 - 5; 9.5 games back (NY/Boston); WCGB: 6.5 games (May 26)

Games 51 - 60: 5 - 5; 10.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 8.5 games (June 7)

Games 61 - 70: 8 - 2; 8.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 4.5 games (June 18)

Games 71 - 80: 6 - 4; 7.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 5.0 games (June 29)

Games 81 - 90: 4 - 6; 10.0 games back (Boston); WCGB: 6.5 games (July 10)

Games 91 - 100: 1 - 9; 14.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 11.0 games (July 24)

Games 101 - 110: 5 - 5; 16.0 games back (Boston); WCGB: 11.0 games (Aug 3)

Games 111 - 120; 5 - 5; 16.0 games back (Boston/Tampa) WCGB: 13.0 games (Aug 14)

Games 121 - 130; 2 - 8; 18.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 16.0 games (Aug 24)

Games 131 - 140; 7 - 3; 19.5 games back (Boston); WCGB: 13.5 games (Sept 4)

What's kind of surprising here is that the Jays played a pretty decent ten game set and still lost ground to Boston. Which shows you how well Boston is playing.

Mercifully, we are nearing the end of the season. Actually, I stopped watching months ago. And I wonder how many others did the same and what this has done to the Blue Jays television ratings? I'll get back to watching baseball once the playoffs start.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to be the guy who said I told you so, but....

I don't know, I'm just not sold on Dickey as an elite starter and beside I didn't really think the Jays needed another top of the rotation starter. Their rotation, without Dickey, has to be one of the best rotation in the AL and certainly in the AL East. I would have been happy if they just signed Marcum as a 4th/5th starter and upgrade on their 2nd base position via trade.

A big fat No to Dickey. He's a good pitcher but I think he'll get destroyed in the AL east. Fenway, Yankee's stadium, Camden Yard, and Rogers center where all amongst in the top 10 friendly hitter ballparks around the league.

Archived