The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blake Geoffrion to announce retirement

Really unfortunate, this kid was pretty good from the little I saw him play.

Here's the story

There were good vibes inside Bell Centre last night as Montreal hockey fans sold the place out to see the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs host the Syracuse Crunch before a crowd of 18,582. Those good feelings were tempered in the middle of the first period after Bulldogs forward Blake Geoffrion (grandson of "Boom Boom") took a nasty check from J.P. Cote of the Crunch and hit his head on the ice:

Geoffrion skated off the ice on his own, but was later rushed to a hospital where he underwent surgery. What that surgery was is unknown at the moment, but Bulldogs head coach Sylvain Lefebvre told the media afterward that it was not life-threatening.

From Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette:

The 24-year-old made it to his feet and skated off, directly to his team's dressing room, as a melée ensued, Hamilton's Michael Blunden battling Côté in a short fight.

Geoffrion lost some blood in the incident, ice crews needing to scrape the ice, and he didn't return to the game.

Late in the contest, on their Twitter account, the Canadiens announced that Geoffrion had been transported to a hospital.

It was after the game, to the media, that Lefebvre detailed the situation as much as he could.

UPDATE: The Canadiens released an update on Geoffrion's condition Saturday stating that the 24-year old had suffered a "depressed skull fracture" and is currently stable and in ICU at a local hospital. He's expected to make a full recovery.

Wow, I remember first seeing him for Nashville during the 2011 run. I think that was his first year in fact.

That really sucks, having your career cut short by such an injury. Especially considering the long-term effects it might have. That's the risk of playing such a fast, hard sport.

Really unfortunate, He seemed to be hitting stride. At least he got to carry on the family tradition and suit up for the Habs. No other family has ever had four generatons of players suit up for the same team. That's something that can never be taken away from him

Whether he's retiring or considering it, it still hits home the reality of the dangers of hockey and almost all sports for that matter. Pro or amateur, we see way too many athletes getting their careers cut short because of injuries. Even sadder than a young pro getting his career cut short is an amateur athlete suffering a devastating injury and having to live they rest of their lives with it.

wow what a hit. It was clean but bloody savage. This clip should be played for minor league players to hit home why you don't fly around with your head down... Or why your team-mates should yell "heads-up" once in a while. He wasn't even blindsided, the guy that hit him was a defender who cut in from the middle.

I would not be suprised if he comes back to hockey. Boogard caved in somebody's face (who's name escapes me at the moment). He had to put plates in his face but he returned to hockey.

The guy was throwing as clean of a check as possible. Basically similar to what Ballard's hipchecks are like.... just Geoffrion seems to have his head and upper body lowered.

This injury was unavoidable. The only way to prevent the injury would be either there's no contact in hockey, or just don't the game.

Archived