The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's in a bigger pickle, Vancouver or Philly?

aqua59

Vancouver - Philly  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Philly is not far away from being a real threat. If they pick up their game and get it going, they could easily steamroll past almost anybody. As opposite to our group. If we get the ball rolling again, we're definitely a good team with a chance to win, but equally prone to complete no-shows and are a threat of doing so every night.

We have one consistent line and three lines of full chaos, as no line is intact for more than a couple of games and we have several fringe NHLers and quite a few out for a long time.

I appreciate what AV has done more than most people here, but I'm firmly against how he juggles lines for years and never gets his players to work well together for long periods. Injuries cause that of course to some degree, but throwing the kids around the line lineup without any consistency is never going to work. They'll never adapt to a certain role like that. Until they get steady positions and clear long-term objectives, they'll be inconsistent and due to that; thrown around again. That in particular means Schroeder and Kassian as well as Cory Schneider and even if he has been around for some time now, Mason Raymond. Hodgson was a fine example of this as well.

I think Philly is not far away from being a real threat. If they pick up their game and get it going, they could easily steamroll past almost anybody. As opposite to our group. If we get the ball rolling again, we're definitely a good team with a chance to win, but equally prone to complete no-shows and are a threat of doing so every night.

We have one consistent line and three lines of full chaos, as no line is intact for more than a couple of games and we have several fringe NHLers and quite a few out for a long time.

I appreciate what AV has done more than most people here, but I'm firmly against how he juggles lines for years and never gets his players to work well together for long periods. Injuries cause that of course to some degree, but throwing the kids around the line lineup without any consistency is never going to work. They'll never adapt to a certain role like that. Until they get steady positions and clear long-term objectives, they'll be inconsistent and due to that; thrown around again. That in particular means Schroeder and Kassian as well as Cory Schneider and even if he has been around for some time now, Mason Raymond. Hodgson was a fine example of this as well.

Sorry if you actually watch the flyers they are far worse off not just their goaltending but their entire team has been under performing especially giroux not to mention the fact they have 0 defence and inconsistent goaltending

also i would say the Rangers are probably worse off then both teams with those big contracts and big name players and still can't figure out how to get in the top 3 where they probably should be with a team like that

finally from the west i wonder how the fans of San Jose are reacting right now after starting the season with a winning streak they are now on the outside looking in

Philly has weaknesses in goal and their d-core but their youth trumps Van's situation. Philly has built in advantages #1 being their location. Half the miles traveled. Perhaps their biggest advantage is their ability to scout talent. Holmgren rebuilt that team on the go thru draft and trade. He lost some talent in deals but gained a lot as well.

If Gillis is good Van does have tadeable assets which could revitalize the Canucks. The 2011 CUP run might have been the high point for the existing group and that is Gillis's biggest decision. Does he add talent that takes another CUP run now or trade for younger talent and make a run in 3 years time?

I love PHILLY ....... They can score! Even when down they seem to be able to rally most nights.... BRYZ is an issue altho he has been marginally better this year....along with their d which has been subpar...... They are most def in a points pickle this year.... Sigh.... Their gm seems to have some brass balls when pulling the trigger on deals at least....

Vancouver seems to be spiraling downward at the wrong time.... Man it's depressing.... Sigh....

Both my teams with abysmal showings this year.....

Tough question. People here love to talk about how old the Canucks are, but the Sedin's are PPG players and are still in their early 30s. The way they play, they'll continue to produce at this pace for at least 4-5 more years. Defense is still young (all in their 20s, except Bieksa who is in early 30s). Kesler is only 27, plenty of time to get back in form. And Schneider (who won't get traded), is still in his mid-20s.

As for Philly, they have their positives as well. However, they are saddled with an average goalie who has a terrible contract. Also, their defense is absolutely awful. Right now, Philly is in worse shape.

Yet they continuously suck year after year. As for their prospects RNH has looked like a junior this season. They should have went Seguin, Landeskog, Murray, but that's just my opinion. I think those guys bring more to the table when it comes to winning grinding games. They already had finesse with Eberle, Hemsky and Gagner. They got mesmerized by holding the 1st overall pick and that's that. Ottawa and Montreal got their top prospects and boom they're back in the playoffs.

I'm sorry but didn't the Oilers have an advantage coming out of the lockout this year. Had all 6 of their top forwards playing during the lockout. But guess what they still will end up out of the playoffs.

I am a fan of both teams and honestly when I look at expectations for both teams I think Vancouver is in more trouble. Philly is a really young team with no goaltending whatsoever where as Vancouver is a team getting old with not many young star prospects coming up. I would much rather have a young team with a bright future, who is struggling a bit now, but still has a chance to make the playoffs if they get hot than a underachieving older team who has a closing cup window.

If making the playoffs wasn't the actual be all and end all goal of bothering to be a team in the NHL, then I might be able to undertand the point of the question from some contrived angle..

But since making the playoffs is the point - then the question is not such a dill-y.

Archived